What's your best tip for getting started

Options
I'm 5-5 and 130lbs and have just committed to getting in shape. That is, I'm now going to diet AND exercise. I haven't done anything in about 5 years since having my children, and am sick of just looking decent in clothes. I'd like to feel confident while wearing a bikini and just truly be thin...not skinny fat. ANyone have similar stats, stories, or tips they'd like to share.

Replies

• Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Start with ONE new habit in a week. The best (imho) is 10 minutes of aerobic in the morning (not muxh but everyday) or alternating douche. Notice all you're eating, it's preparation for the next step.
    After that it's time to change your eating habits (e.g. no cheat meals or more veggies). All you have to remember is do not start all at once.
    And enjoy what you're doing. That's the key :) Good luck on your journey!
  • sinderfox
    sinderfox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think one of the easiest thing is to eliminate soda, juice and other high caloric drinks. Eating unprocessed, whole food will also really help with keeping you full and full of energy!
    Good luck!
  • 0lightasair
    0lightasair Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm around your height and started out at the 127/128 mark. I'm not around the 116/117 mark. Breaking 120 was huge for me. For me, this retrospective tip would have been very helpful.

Be patient and commit. If you don't see results right away or your results are intermittent and insignificant, keep at it. Sometimes, weight loss is an exhaustive, rewardless journey and its really hard to find the motivation to stick to a plan. But, one day, you'll wake up and realize you've broken that wall you thought was so daunting. (For me it was 120lbs.) From that point, it gets much easier; not to actually lose weight, but to tackle it from one day to the next.

Also, it's important to track, but as you start out, don't beat yourself for not tracking everyday. If you binge and don't feel like seeing your bad decisions in writing, its probably better for your mental health to just skip the day. Diligent tracking comes in time, once you pick up the momentum of this decision. Of course, on the days you track, do it honestly! Don't just leave out the cookies from your diary. That'll lead to you wondering "why am I doing everything right but not seeing results/seeing negative results".

Good luck!
  • ennovi_r
    ennovi_r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started a spreadsheet - "Cardio Log" to keep track of my exercise. I have a goal to do at least 10-15 miles on the elliptical a week. Keeping track of the miles, minutes, days I work out helps me stay on track. For me, a spreadsheet is easier to keep track of exercise than MFP.

I also stopped gorging on sweets and only have chips once a week or less. I used to have them everyday.
    If I want a cookie, I'll make it a treat for the week if I do good on calories all week!

Also, I keep track of my food every day!

Also remember that it takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose a pound... it takes time for the scale to move. But it will if you keep at it.
  • glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think a person should start in a manner that is realistic/not extreme. I find that a lot of people (myself included) have a hard time starting a new fitness plan because they cut out Everything at once and go cold turkey and/or they try to add every possible workout type within the beginning. Go with what feels comfortable at first. Make some sort of changes...perhaps try one new addition to your workout and one new subtraction (soda/sugar/added salt, etc.) to your diet. Or, reduce the intake of each bad food and incorporate greater quantities of healthier foods.

I found that in the beginning, my cravings for salty and sweet foods were quite overwhelming...so what I did was--I purchased some boxes of flavorful teas and would drink a delicious tea (without sugar added) to curb the cravings, meanwhile satisfying hydration and the desire to taste something delicious, lol.
  • silverlychee
    silverlychee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions. I've made a serious commitment to working out and track the days I take classes on a calendar which helps. I've seen some change in my body- a little more definition, but the scale hasn't budged. Now it's time to also tackle my diet. I mom of two little ones so I easily fall into eating when I can and not making the best choices. Thanks again for your input and keep the suggestions coming for those who are just starting out!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Find something you like to do and go from there. Commit specific times and days for the first 30 days. Tell yourself, Mon - Wed - Fri at 7 am / pm I am going to _________ (insert exercise here) for 30 minutes.

Small steps will become bigger steps as you get stronger and more fit.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I noticed I make healthier food choices if I don't have unhealthy foods around so I quite buying them and now I'm not even tempted. I also agree with the person who mentioned tea drinking ,I drink tea a lot when I'm craving something sweet. I use to be a HUGE pop drinker and am now a huge water drinker, I just carry a water bottle around everywhere I go! Basically just swap the "bad" foods and habit with good ones and over time it becomes second nature.