Social Networking as a form of Communication....

Options
pammbroo
pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
In our electronic society, we've all gotten accustomed to email and text communication. Some even prefer it. But how much validity do you put into communication via social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter? Example...let's say you dated someone and it didn't work out. You part ways. Months later, you get a comment or a "like" on one of your accounts. It may be one or several over a short period of time. But not something that has occurred since you parted ways. Do you feel that person is reaching out to you in some small way (testing the waters) or has enough time gone by that they are again treating you as any of their other "friends"? I realize that most of us are no longer in high school and that there is a "grown up" way of communicating. But with all the random/personal stuff that people post on these sites and the juvenile dating behaviors we've all seen/experienced, I was wondering if you thought there was anything to it?

Replies

• Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I don't put too much stock in it, simply because most of the people i communicate with aren't extremely close with me or are strangers therefore if someone i used to date reaches out, she's pretty much in that same boat
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I do not remain connected with former dates on social media sites. I usually take an all or nothing approach with my dates.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Do you feel that person is reaching out to you in some small way (testing the waters) or has enough time gone by that they are again treating you as any of their other "friends"? I realize that most of us are no longer in high school and that there is a "grown up" way of communicating. But with all the random/personal stuff that people post on these sites and the juvenile dating behaviors we've all seen/experienced, I was wondering if you thought there was anything to it?

No, I wouldn't read anything into that at all.

If/when I ever felt like reaching out to an ex lover on FB, I will just send him a PM and test the waters! Like you said, we are adults now :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am not friends with any of the guys I have dated on FB but I don't think I would see someone liking my picture or something like that as reaching out/ testing the waters.

Twitter is where I met my last boyfriend and it took awhile for me to unfollow him. Mainly because we said the long distance just wasn't working and we would try to remain friends. Once I determined I did not even like him as a friend any more I unfollowed him and he unfollowed me. I still see him mentioned or pictures of him from mutual friends and have to hold myself back from saying anything.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't read into it. I dated this guy casually for a month, and it ended very awkwardly. But I still like his posts and stuff, and he has commented on something of mine before.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't read into it. I dated this guy casually for a month, and it ended very awkwardly. But I still like his posts and stuff, and he has commented on something of mine before.

What??? When was this??? Something recent???
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person and kind of relationship that existed. Even though we're all theoretically adults, I wouldn't dismiss the idea that someone would reach out this way to "test the waters." I'd say it's totally subject to how that individual uses social media, and only knowing them can tell you that.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

No back in March. I wish it was recent!!! I haven't had one iota of anything on the dating front for months now. :(
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    This is confusing for me too... I tend to become fb friends with guys as quickly as possible, and I never really unfriend anyone- I just move them to a category where they don’t see much anymore. But I don’t get it when someone who went out with me 2-3 times, poofed, then turned up on fb with some bombshell continues to like and comment on all my posts, even ones with other guys.

I guess in today’s culture it means nothing?
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options

No back in March. I wish it was recent!!! I haven't had one iota of anything on the dating front for months now. :(

Darn. It will happen! I promise. You are young and have alot to offer!!!!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    No, if I was reaching out to them I would PM them and ask how they've been and see if they want to get a drink and catch up. If I just wanted to be friends with them I would treat them like any other friend and mainly just comment or like their status updates.