What would you think...

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Okay I was wondering what you guys would think if you were the guy in this situation: I just recently started talking to a guy on I met on match.com, and we're meeting up tomorrow. He seems pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to meeting him. Anyway, turns out we have some mutual friends..one of whom I kissed one night a while ago, and one whom I fully hooked up with, twice, almost a year ago. We're still friends, nothing more at all. Now, the hook up guy knows that this guy and I know each other (the new guy mentioned it to him). These two are really good friends.

So my question is: how would you feel if you were the new guy and you eventually maybe discovered that the girl you were dating hooked up with one of your good friends? I'm not saying we'll get to this point, hell, we haven't even met in person yet, but I'm just curious. Would you want to know, if it got to that point?

Edited to add: the new guy knows nothing of previous hookups.

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I know a girl hooked up with one of my good friends and I'm about to meet this woman out on a match.com date.. I'd feel awkward as all hell. It would just seem that it'd be too close to home and I'd probably back out of the date.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As a woman, Id feel awkward about it since it happened recently. Had it been 10 yrs, not a problem.
  • toots99
    Options
    I feel awkward about it, but I'm certainly not about to back out of meeting someone new just because of a situation that happened almost a year ago. The hookup guy and I have hung out a lot (in group situations, never just the two of us) and nothing has happened since then and nothing will.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid pursuing anything with girls my friends have dated or just nailed. There are enough other people out there where I would just prefer to avoid any potential drama or awkwardness from this.

I don't see anything wrong with it, though.

If I were you, I would assume this new guy will know by the time you meet up. His friend will probably tell him. I would.
  • toots99
    Options
    That was going to be my next question. Would you, as the friend, tell him?

I don't think this new guy knows. The hookup guy isn't the bragging type at all (believe me, he and I have a lot of the same friends).

I don't think it would bother me if he slept with one of my friends. That's the past. Everyone has a past.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone has a past, but I don't want to be reminded of it every time my friend and I go out for a beer. And just seeing the guy will be an awesome reminder...

In general, I avoid any women who have dated, hooked up, etc. with friends on mine. It just goes against the guy code, unless it's only about having sex. There are exceptions, of course.

For example, the situation would be different if the hook up friend had introduced you to this new guy. Perhaps thinking you two would hit it off. It wouldn't bother me so much if a friend of mine told me that he had hooked up with this girl a year ago or so, remained friends, but nothing happened after that. But she's a great girl and thinks I would hit it off well with her, etc., etc. That would be fine.

I suppose in the first instance (your example), rightly or wrongly, I start grinding the numbers. I think, "Well, let's see, she knows two people I know. She's hooked up in some capacity with both of them. Can't wait to introduce her to some of my other friends so I can find out what she's done with them, too!" Sorry, fair or not, that's what I'm thinking.

In the second instance (your hook up friend introduced you to the new guy), I just think a good friend of mine is trying to help me out, he no longer has any romantic interest in you, etc., etc. So it's different.

As to telling my friend if I hooked up with a girl that he has just asked out: absolutely, 100%. Tastefully, of course. Because if you tell him, our friendship is more or less over (since he had to find out from you).

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hmmm! I think it depends on the guys involved. I have a friend who is now dating her best friends ex! Not the kind of thing that I would do, but it happens.

Personally, I think that kind of thing should remain behind closed doors and its only as awkward as you make it. But if someone wants to mention it then we are all adults and have a right to hook up with whosoever we choose.

I would just ignore it and meet the guy. It goes back to the question of past lovers and as most of us have said in here, we usually dont have that kind of conversation with a current interest. :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For example, the situation would be different if the hook up friend had introduced you to this new guy. Perhaps thinking you two would hit it off. It wouldn't bother me so much if a friend of mine told me that he had hooked up with this girl a year ago or so, remained friends, but nothing happened after that. But she's a great girl and thinks I would hit it off well with her, etc., etc. That would be fine..
    That’s good to know, as I’ve met a lot of guys on Match that I think my friends would like. No “hooking up” involved, but still dating, so I have been leery of making too many introductions. I have done it, and actually offended the guy :-)
    I suppose in the first instance (your example), rightly or wrongly, I start grinding the numbers. I think, "Well, let's see, she knows two people I know. She's hooked up in some capacity with both of them. Can't wait to introduce her to some of my other friends so I can find out what she's done with them, too!" Sorry, fair or not, that's what I'm thinking.
    See, ladies? This is why it’s such a fine line to walk. Even the guys who are always encouraging the ladies to loosen up, stop worrying about what others think, go for it and have fun, have these judgments in the back of their mind.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Deny deny deny .. lol. Just kidding. :wink:

It was over a year ago .. you haven't hooked up since then .. I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't say anything either. If he brings it up just make like it was no big deal and move on. You wouldn't give him names of other people you have slept with, why should this guy be any different. I wouldn't lie if asked, but I see no reason to bring it up either.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I guess if I were you my only thoughts would be on what the new guys expectations are as far as what you are willing to do.

Other then that it is too early to be worrying about all the what ifs involved in a relationship that may never develop.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    If I were you toots, I'd strike this down before it even started, especially since it was just arranged via Match. This situation has the potential to stir up some drama. There are situations where drama can be avoided, and this is one.
  • toots99
    Options

Other then that it is too early to be worrying about all the what ifs involved in a relationship that may never develop.

I agree. I'm not reading anything into it, I'm just curious what a guy's opinion would be. If it turns into something, then we'll see what happens.
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If your friend that you hooked up with is ok with you dating his friend I'm not sure what the issue is..

It might be a little akward but your sexual past really isn't something you have to tell him about, as a matter of fact it is better if you leave the past right where it is at most of the time.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    This would not matter to me in the least from either perspective. I wouldn't go around announcing it either (there's such a thing as discretion) but the past is the past and as long as there are no nasty emotional entanglements then what's the big deal?
  • toots99
    Options
    If your friend that you hooked up with is ok with you dating his friend I'm not sure what the issue is..

It might be a little akward but your sexual past really isn't something you have to tell him about, as a matter of fact it is better if you leave the past right where it is at most of the time.

That's what I think. He knows the New Guy and I are now friends, and the Hookup and I had spoken before (after the hookups) that that's just between us and that's all it was. There are 100% no feelings whatsoever between either of us.

Most of the women here to be on the same page, and the guys on another. Which brings to mind a few interesting points:

If the situation were reversed, if the guy had hooked up with one of my female friends, would the women think differently? (It wouldn't bother me, as long as there were no lingering feelings.)

And why do the guys feel this would be an issue but the women don't? Does it have to do with jealousy or insecurity? (I'm not saying it does, I'm just putting the thought out there.)
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    This reminds me of a friend of mine that married a girl we all went to HS with. As she was walking down the isle I turned to the buddy I was sitting by and said "I wonder how it feels to walk down the isle past 12 guys you slept with?" Needless to say that marriage lasted about 6 months.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a friend of mine that married a girl we all went to HS with. As she was walking down the isle I turned to the buddy I was sitting by and said "I wonder how it feels to walk down the isle past 12 guys you slept with?" Needless to say that marriage lasted about 6 months.

Were you one of the dirty dozen?? :bigsmile:
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Were you one of the dirty dozen?? :bigsmile:

:happy:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    And why do the guys feel this would be an issue but the women don't? Does it have to do with jealousy or insecurity? (I'm not saying it does, I'm just putting the thought out there.)

I have no issue with dating a girl that had a fling with a friend of mine, but it all depends on how I'm introduced to the girl, why she broke up with the friend, what he thinks of her, etc., etc.

Again, unless I'm missing something, you described the situation as follows: you randomly meet a guy on Match, and later you discover that you know two of his friends. Not only that (which already is quite a coincidence), but you have hooked up with both of them! You're 2 for 2. OK, you "only" kissed one, but still. From the guy's point of view, doesn't that seem quite strange that you (a) know two of his friends, and (b) hooked up with both of them???

OK, let's play the reverse game: you meet a guy on Match, you later learn that two of your friends know him. And he hooked up with both of them. Wouldn't your first thought be, "This guy is a player."

--P
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

I have no issue with dating a girl that had a fling with a friend of mine, but it all depends on how I'm introduced to the girl, why she broke up with the friend, what he thinks of her, etc., etc.

Again, unless I'm missing something, you described the situation as follows: you randomly meet a guy on Match, and later you discover that you know two of his friends. Not only that (which already is quite a coincidence), but you have hooked up with both of them! You're 2 for 2. OK, you "only" kissed one, but still. From the guy's point of view, doesn't that seem quite strange that you (a) know two of his friends, and (b) hooked up with both of them???

OK, let's play the reverse game: you meet a guy on Match, you later learn that two of your friends know him. And he hooked up with both of them. Wouldn't your first thought be, "This guy is a player."

--P

My first thought is that they must be friends because of a similar personality type... a personality that I'm obviously attracted to.

But I tend to not over-complicate things.