Strange experience

Options
This occurred about 6 years ago. I cannot explain it, and it still puzzles me to this day.

I was laying in bed and was slightly awakened from sleeping. I had this feeling that I was being watched. My bedroom was mostly dark, however I could see due to the street light coming in from my window and light from the hallway coming in under my bedroom door.

I was laying on my side toward the wall. As my vision became clearer and I started to focus, I noticed that there was an object floating in front of my face. It was a spherical shape about the size of a softball and was a smooth pewter/metallic color. The best words I could use to describe it would be "metal ball." I wasn't really afraid at first, and moved my hand out to touch it. It moved backward, reacting to my attempt to touch it. I suddenly felt a huge sense of fear go through me as I realized how abnormal this was, and jumped. I threw my blankets off and watched the sphere move upwards as I screamed and tried to grasp it. It moved toward the ceiling and then disappeared through the drywall of the ceiling. It appeared to literally go through the solid ceiling. I panicked and ran out of my room.

My mother was awake in the livingroom and heard my screaming. She came into the hallway to see what was wrong. I told her exactly what happened. We both entered the bedroom. There was nothing out of the ordinary, of course. I even pointed to where the object went through the ceiling. My mother had a very worried look on her face and wasn't sure what to make of what happened. She did believe me, however, since she has a history of seeing "ghosts" and having paranormal experiences.

I have a history of hallucinating spiders and such as I am falling asleep. However, I have never hallucinated an object, and especially not upon awakening in the middle of the night. I was quite wide awake when I saw the object move upward and into the ceiling. I'm really not sure what this was.