Can't Sleep After Running

Options
Because of my work schedule, I run after work around 6 or 7 p.m. Alot of times, because of that I go to bed around 10 p.m. and then can't sleep. Sometimes I wake up at 3 a.m. and then can't go to sleep. I could run in the morning before work but because we are getting into the winter season and the traffic is bad during the mornings I am not sure that a 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. schedule would be best for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you juggle running and work? Thanks for any and all advice!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 and run before work.
  • kimstaaa
    Options
    I have a very difficult time running in the evening for the exact same problem - I can't sleep! Afterwards I can't get to sleep and if I do finally fall asleep I wake up a couple times a night. I suppose running just wakes my body up.

I have a long work day from 8am - 6:30pm sometimes lasting later. I've attempted to run in the evening but between being exhausted from work and then not being able to fall asleep afterwards, I've decided running in the AM would be the better option. I'm not a morning person so getting up early to log in my miles is challenge. I've heard it takes 21 days to start a habit so I'm hoping it gets easier. I currently wake up at 6am but I'm only running 1-3miles a day. Each week I'll set my alarm clock for 15 minutes earlier so as my training progresses and I'm logging in more miles I'll be able to have plenty of time to get it all done before I leave for work. I'll eventually be waking up at 4:45/4:30am. Just in time for winter. :smile:
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I would try to run early as much as possible even during the Winter months~as often as weather permits anyway. I run around 5:30 am and still have trouble sleeping! Those endorphin's really do their job, huh?
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to run in the morning but when 5:30am rolls around and I look at my alarm. I can't bring myself to get out of bed!!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30 a.m. and out the door by 5.....7 or 8 miles later I am back home cooling down and getting ready for work. I have tried running in the evening but don't find I have the same energy level as in the morning....and the morning runs just set me up with a smile for the entire day! I have found that I actually prefer running in the dark as opposed to after the sun comes up. The owls hooting this morning was a special treat!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Because of my work schedule, I run after work around 6 or 7 p.m. Alot of times, because of that I go to bed around 10 p.m. and then can't sleep. Sometimes I wake up at 3 a.m. and then can't go to sleep. I could run in the morning before work but because we are getting into the winter season and the traffic is bad during the mornings I am not sure that a 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. schedule would be best for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you juggle running and work? Thanks for any and all advice!

How long have you been running / physically active in the late hours? I only ask because any time I've had to get back in shape, it takes me a bit to get used to it and I have trouble sleeping until I do. In the interim, I will sometimes take a melatonin supplement before bed to help me sleep.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I also recommend running in the AM as then you have no procrastinating to worry about and it's kind of like you are getting it done with and you have the rest of the day to do what you want. All day you will come up with excuses... and end up canceling.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am a late morning or late night runner. I love running after 830pm. When I worked swing shift 4pm-12pm I would run after work. Sleep disorders happen for me on full moons to much light or just to much light from computers or air-purifiers. Try Tylenol if you are achy from the run or melatonin to help you sleep. For me running gives me peace. I take a hot shower and off to bed.

I hate to wake to an alarm clock I sleep until done. I run late mornings if I know bad weather is predicted or my kids schedule need me. (teenagers) I wake on my own by 730-8am. Listen to your body to find what works best for you. Enjoy your run.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!! I get so wound up if I run anytime after 5pm or so, and it really screws up my sleep patterns. I will get up sometimes around 5:30 AM two or three times during the weekday and will run short distances, just to take the edge off--also in prep for my long runs on the weekends. My job consumes me through out the weekday and I wish it wasn't like that but I try to make the best of it. Getting up early to work out for first couple of times was really tough but I got the hang of it. I am more alert during the day and my body is so energized, and sleep so much better too! Good luck!!