Diagnosed today...

Options
Hi Everyone,

Today I went to the Gyno for the first time, as I came off the pill last October and have only had one period since then, in February.

I also had weight loss surgery in Sept 2010, so I thought it likely that my hormones were just a bit confused and things would soon go back to normal and my cycle would sort itself out. But as my boyfriend and I have decided we would like to start trying for a baby I thought it best to be sure.

However he did an internal scan and said that I have PCOS, with many cysts on both ovaries. He sent me for a blood test to check my Testosterone levels as he believes they are high, which would also explain my facial and back acne. This would also explain how I stopped losing weight around about a year ago despite eating less than 1400 calories a day and exercising regularly following my weight loss surgery.

So I guess at least I have an explanation for a few things. But at the same time I have done some reading today about the fertility issues and higher risk of miscarriage, and am feeling a bit overwhelmed and emotional.

I would love to have some friends who know what I'm feeling and could offer some support.

I look forward to speaking with you all

Lyndsey

Replies

• simplysonya
    simplysonya Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Lyndsay,:flowerforyou:
    Welcome to the group.
    I too have PCOS and just learned of it this year.
    I was kind of the same way in that I had no trouble keeping off weight until
    recently as my symptoms started to become more evident.
    I struggle with excess hair growth, acne and weight around my mid-section.

I can be a support for you if you'd like as my husband and I are also trying to
    have children.

Sonya
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi Lyndsey! I have been diagnosed with PCOS for years now, since I was in my late teens. I was at a healthy weight most of my life, so I can’t wholly attribute my weight gain to it, but I’m sure it had something to do with how easy it was to gain weight since I’m also insulin resistant. Is your doctor requesting a panel for insulin resistance as well as your testosterone levels? I imagine he is since it’s pretty routine with PCOS diagnosis, but if he isn’t I would request he does that as well.

I had a surgery a couple years ago to remove one of my ovaries that was essentially a mass of scar tissue from multiple cysts growing and bursting continuously without releasing an egg for so many years. They originally went in to just remove some large cysts, but when I woke up they had taken out the whole thing- quite a shock! My other ovary is kind of a mess, but not as bad. As far as fertility goes, I will likely have fertility issues. It was pretty upsetting for me at first, but I’ve become resigned to the idea- I have a lot to be happy about in my life and even though I’ve always wanted children that come to accept that may just not be in the cards. With that being said, there are countless women out there that have PCOS and have conceived naturally- so it may not be a problem for you at all. Statistics about increased risk for miscarriage with women who have PCOS are spotty at best, I've seen studies that say there is an increase and some that say there is no increase- the ones that say there is an increase in miscarriage often attribute it to the insulin resistance that goes along with PCOS. Miscarriage in general is fairly common across the board, I think the statistic is 1 in 4 pregnancies end in a miscarraige, so I wouldn't worry about it to much as far as being associated with your PCOS.

If I were you I would just focus on being at a healthy weight, which can help drastically not only with the symptoms, but also can reduce the frequency of non-functional cysts forming. If you’re insulin resistant, talk to your doctor about taking something for that as well. II take Metformin, a lot of people don’t like it because of the upset stomach issues it can cause, but I pushed through those symptoms since I knew my body needed the help that Metformin provided and have found it to work quite well at regulating my glucose levels. As a rule of thumb in my life I try to stay away from medications, but this one has helped me drastically. A lot of people with PCOS do low carb diets, which can help too. I don’t do that because I don’t have the discipline and not a huge fan of meat, but I do try to limit my intake of refined sugars and carbs- I often opt for multigrain and sugar from fibrous fruit, both release sugar into the bloodstream more steadily which reduces the risk of a glucose spike with causes fat to be created.

Just educate yourself as much as possible without getting too freaked out- knowledge is power!
  • fmonty
    Options
    I am so sorry about your diagnosis but please don't lose all hope. I am living proof that you can get better. I was diagnosed with PCOS 15 years ago. I went to an endocrinologist. He did some testing, etc put on Metformin and recommended a low carb diet. Not an unhealthy one but a lower fat type. I lost 100 lbs and all of the symptoms within 10 months. I kept it off and then the miracle. When I got married 9 years later I warned my now husband that we may not be able to have children. He was fine and said we would figure something out. We got married in January, bought our house in May and I knew I was pregnant by September 1st all in the same year. The pregnancy was great, my beautiful boy was born in April. Then the very next year when he was 10 months old, woops, I was pregnant again. My husband was jumping around all over the house. He was born that October. I was diligent through all of this to stay healthy and keep the weight off. I did it, you can too. Take your doctors advice and do the work, it's worth it! I am now in a different place, my older son was diagnosed with autism. He is going to be fine, he is high functioning and we are getting him every therapy out there to make sure he continues to improve. The initial shock through me for a loop and I began to binge eat again after 15 years of doing so well. Well I have gained 44 lbs and let me tell you a lot of those PCOS symptoms are now coming back. I am now getting back on track but this is proof that the weight loss is a HUGE part of getting better. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    One resource that has really helped me is PCOS Diva. She is a health coach with a great blog, meal ideas and fitness ideas that are specifically for ladies with PCOS, plus articles on supplements and things that will help. I find her positive attitude makes it less overwhelming! I have been doing her meal plan for almost a month, and it's really made a huge difference, plus it's delicious!
  • EmilyMCO
    Options
    ANother great resource (if you haven't found it yet) is soulcysters.com. The site is is especially helpful for understanding fertility issues and knowing what questions to ask your gynecologist or reproductive endocrinologist.
  • twosteps
    Options
    Thank you so much for the awesome replies! It is great to hear other's experiences, and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I've been reading up a bit, and saw a nutritionist yesterday who has got me cutting out all caffeine and dairy because of the affect they have on hormones. So I'm going through some hellish caffeine withdrawal right now!. She said the rest of my diet is very good and my blood sugar is kept under control by the fact that I have small regular meals and always have nuts with fruit etc to balance the sugar.

I will continue to research and am glad to have found a supportive environment to discuss this.

Xx lyndsey
  • presleytitus
    presleytitus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the awesome replies! It is great to hear other's experiences, and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I've been reading up a bit, and saw a nutritionist yesterday who has got me cutting out all caffeine and dairy because of the affect they have on hormones. So I'm going through some hellish caffeine withdrawal right now!. She said the rest of my diet is very good and my blood sugar is kept under control by the fact that I have small regular meals and always have nuts with fruit etc to balance the sugar.

I will continue to research and am glad to have found a supportive environment to discuss this.

Xx lyndsey

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and what I have found is that my symptoms take care of themselves when I am doing "what I am supposed to be doing" i.e. watching what I eat and making time for regular exercise. What's definitely helped my mindset is reading the inspiring posts from this group and seeing that I am not the only one dealing with PCOS.
    When I read about someone with PCOS losing 100 lbs it really makes me feel like my goals are attainable.
    Keep the faith twosteps! Best wishes to you :flowerforyou: