Alcohol

Options
I've just recently started to become honest with myself in that I believe I use alcohol to cope with my anxiety. This is a difficult thing for me to admit, it feels like just one more area of my life that I'm starting to loose control over. Am I the only one here? I read somewhere that 25% of anxiety sufferers will use alcohol to cope at one time or another, I have no idea whether that's accurate.

Replies

• angel924_2004
    Options
    Not the only one. This is something that I realize I do too. I try not to, and when I have my anxiety in control I don't really drink at all. But alcohol is a great anti-anxiety...substance. Meaning great as in effective at reducing anxiety. I say it helps me turn off my brain so I can stop thinking (and hence reduce the anxiety and constant worry).

But yeah, I then start to worry about if it means I am an alcoholic and start imagining worst case scenarios, etc. As someone who is trying to limit the things I worry about, I have been trying to not drink at all so I can try to control those worries.
  • z149189
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm trying to make a conscious decision to keep my head clear and feel my own feelings no matter how good or how bad, but that idea is scary as hell to me.
  • Ccmickey
    Ccmickey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought I needed alcohol to control my anxiety, but it only makes it worst. I stopped for one week and my anxiety has gone way down.
  • z149189
    Options
    I'm actually giving that a try and so far, not nearly as bad as I thought, and at very least I'm having an easier time getting up in the morning.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You definitely aren't the only one. I use it a lot when I'm depressed, but sometimes when I'm sick of feeling anxious all day, I just get wasted. Sometimes I feel like it's the only time I get an actual break from my thoughts.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I fell into this trap when my anxiety was at its worst. I learned that one beer took the edge off my obsessive thoughts. Unfortuntately, tolerance kicked in and one beer became two which then eventually led to a bottle of wine or more a night habit. Of course the next day I felt like **** AND the anxiety came back.
    I stopped drinking like that three years ago and feel SO much better.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I too fell into this trap. I've cut way back on my alcohol
    intake (I needed an off switch) and feel better in the
    mornings. I still take one xanax per day to deal with
    it. (not while drinking) I usually don't have a glass of
    wine until 10:30-11:00 pm when I want to relax, and
    just watch a little TV.
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started to become honest with myself in that I believe I use alcohol to cope with my anxiety. This is a difficult thing for me to admit, it feels like just one more area of my life that I'm starting to loose control over. Am I the only one here? I read somewhere that 25% of anxiety sufferers will use alcohol to cope at one time or another, I have no idea whether that's accurate.

I know what you mean but I use it at night because that is when mine is the worst.
  • grimlaur
    Options
    I saw this thread....

5 years ago i wound up infront of a psychiatrist. From the reccomendation of a psychologist. This happened because unchecked anxiety and self medication with alcohol to alleviate anxiety are actually a very common occurrence. 60%

now, we are not alcoholics, we are self medicating.

I stopped drinking for months about 12, and the anxiety got worse. I became OCD. the stressors kept growing i was unchecked.
    I got help. Meds, talk, all good, no booze.

After the worst year ever... Meds,Success, Family, All Good, No Booze. Self Control.

I Imagine one thing A stop sign from my childhood when the anxiety comes and my chest stops. I think of that stop sign. When the wave stops i let the stop sign fade.

Start There.
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i want to help others with mental health problems, but it depresses the hell out of me :/

i have used alcohol to cope with anxiety in the past but i think they key to coping is help and support from others.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can relate to all of you. I am currently going through the same thing. We just experienced hurricane Sandy and I have been out of work for a week. Thank God we had no structural damage but there are no gas stations with i gas so we have to walk everywhere. I have been very stressed out and very anxious. I have been drinking more. I know it is not right. I have a therapy
    Appointment in two weeks it seems like eternity. I have however been exercising a lot which calms me down. Thanks for letting
    me vent.
  • AnotherAustinGirl
    AnotherAustinGirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Going through that hurricane and everything afterwards must have been really rough! I can only imagine.

I just posted on another thread of this group that exercise really helps lower my anxiety and reduces my panic attacks. So, I guess that's one thing to be thankful for, all the walking you have to do. It may not seem like much fun and is probably a drag but it's helping you in someway probably.

Good luck and remember things will get better!