Music and Running

Options
Do you listen to music while you run? I have always heard that if you are serious runner that listening to music while running can mess up your pace when you run a race. You get used to the upbeat music and then when you run a race without the music it becomes more difficult. I currently do not listen to music when running. :smile: Is this complete junk? What are your thoughts and what do you do?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I used to run with music. I don't now. I found it to be a distraction, especially when trying to hit specific paces in a workout. Without music, I am far more in tune with my body, which I believe is of the utmost importance in order to run your best.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to listen to all kinds of different music when I ran and I'm sure it was a distraction. Since I read Chi Running and I started trying to move my feet at a certain rate I've been listening to music at that tempo (Dreyer suggests a metronome) and it's helped a lot. My form was so terrible (slouching, heel strike, toes turned out, slow rate/long stride, tense arms/shoulders) that there was a lot for me to think about improving while running and not having to think about my stride rate helped a lot. I just put my feet down on beat and it's almost like I'm dancing. Of course, when I run on the trails I don't listen to anything, partly so I can hear the mountain bikers coming behind me and partly because the terrain often prevents a regular stride rhythm.
  • kimstaaa
    Options
    I currently listen to music while I run. I'm terribly out of shape and running is more of a challenge than what it used to be. Once I get back into shape and running feels natural again I will be leaving the ipod at home and the focus will be on my breathing and pace.

In addition to loosing focus on your pace and form, listening to music while running can also be dangerous. I've seen one too many road runners in my neighborhood listening to music so loud that they can't hear oncoming cars.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to listen to music and once thought I could never run without it. Now I very rarely do so. On those few times that I do listen, however, I use a headphone that’s only got one earbud and I keep it low. I live in a large urban area and zoning out doesn’t feel like a safe practice to me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I tried running with music (indoors on the old dreadmill) a few years ago and found it distracting. I've never run with music outdoors primarily for safety reasons but I also like to focus on my breathing and the rhythm of my footfalls.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i always run with music. on the odd time i've forgotten to take my ipod, it's been terrible and i haven't been able to run. i just can't seem to find my rhythm. not that i run to the rhythm. i'm not too sure how it works, all i know is that that's how it is for me.

the only times i don't listen to music are when i'm trail running with a friend and chat through the run, or if i'm doing speed work at the track.

but that's just me. i find focusing on my stride and breathing terribly mind numbing.
  • camrunner
    Options
    I always have music unless I'm in a race and they won't let me. It helps me zone out, which is usually what I'm looking for.

Granted, I'm really a recreational runner and I'm not training for anything specific. If I were really focused on racing, I'd probably be trying to wean myself off of music.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When I started running I used my Ipod, now I never listen to music. Most of my running is done on trails, there is so much to see and hear, why would I want to be distracted by music?

There is also a safety issue for those running with music, whether urban or rural. Obvious risks like traffic, cysclists, animals etc but also personal security. I used to teach self defence and the one of the first things I told people was to ditch the headphones. They give a distorted sense of security and make you less able to anticipate dangerous situations.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have never run with music but I run with my husband and we talk. It is a good indication on how hard we are running. We talk at the beginning of the run and by the end, there is no conversation at all. Just get me home :smile:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I did, but the last few months have been listening to audiobooks instead.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I always listen to audiobooks. I have been turning it off a little more lately - like for about 3 miles or so, but I would get too bored on a long run, and also start focussing on the negative (soreness, tiredness) without it. In my half marathon recently I just kept one earbud in, and paused it quite a bit.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i usually run with music when i'm doing plain old road work and the only background noise is cars and things of the like, but whenever i'd go for a trail run and it's nothing but me and nature, i leave the headphones in the car.
  • rtbrown82
    rtbrown82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to and I did for my first half and full marathon, it makes it a little more fun, but... I'm an iPod killer.... I've sweat out too many iPod's and they ain't cheap.... so I run without and I find I'm a good conversationalist with myself, lol. I love the quiet time and it makes me more aware to my surrounding. I enjoy nature more and for me it's great quiet time with God, I do a lot of praying when I run.

I would say don't become reliable on it, don't let a dead battery keep you from running. Supliment music, I get made fun of because I usually listen to Folk (Mumford and Sons, Eric Hutchinson, Jason Mraz, etc), I find the soulful easy music helps me get into the groove and relax in my run. But I haven't listened to music on a run in months.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It depends on the run that I am doing. If it is pace specific I will not listen to music, but will especially if at the gym on the treadmill. I usually listen to podrunner or audiofuel too for specific paced or interval workouts.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when training but tend to zone in and out of it. I never use it for organised runs and I must be lucky as I have no problem without it and have a good sense of my pace. At night I wear one earbud in so I can hear behind me.