STRESS MANAGEMENT 101, 103 and 105

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
READ:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/295447_381515498569936_1336461648_n.jpg

I apologize because the past two days have been a challenge for me and I want to educate everyone else on how stress affects our bodies and we must learn to manage!
How do you manage? Because we have no choice but must live with some sort and deal in a healthy way.

For example when folks at work drive me crazy I try to take a walk or go outside to eat lunch. I just go outside and sit anywhere...ALONE!!

YOU see no matteer how skinny or fit one gets stress will not change and the challenge here is for us to learn to deal in a way we can carry through the rest of our lives. Not depending solely on:
Alcohol and/or drugs
Tobacco
Sometime overly depending on people
sex
food
isolation
YOU get the ideas! How do you manage in a healthy way...even if the circumstance does not change???

Love you all and big hug,
WW

Replies

• cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one that I'm barely starting to work on. I don't have the answers, but I will say it is tough.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Run. Run fast and Run hard.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    the last month has been massively stressful for me. after my brother in law died, i've had 3 other funerals to attend. 4 funerals in 4 weeks. on top of trying to be the emotional support for my sister. honestly, i've done some dealing well, and some not so well. i quit smoking 6 months ago. i was a pack a day. i picked it back up (with a promise that as soon as i sleep through a night they will go back out the window) but am only having 5 a day. (this is a bad way of dealing, i know, and i struggle to be able to calm myself down enough to not need them as a crutch). the best thing i have found is to go exercise. the days you don't want to go because you're tired and stressed are the days when i feel the best afterward. i know i have worked as hard as i can, and there is something to be said about sweating stress out. i'm struggling this week because my work schedule (among other things) has not allowed me to work out much at all, and i am looking forward to kickboxing tomorrow, and hopefully a run later tonight.

My psychologist (she is a traumatic berevement counselor that i've been seeing on and off for 3 years) says that when you are stressed, you need to allow yourself small rewards. go shopping (but responsibly). sit outside and read a book. take a ride on a motorcycle. get a massage/mani/pedi. treat yourself to something to remind yourself that you are fabulous, i am a firm believer in this.

funny how the topics you need to talk about for the day come up in a forum. thanks, garlic, for reading my mind :)
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    For me I have noticed the only times I manage stress with any kind of sanity, is when I am staying to my Bible devotions, discussing them with my friends, and recalling the Scriptures when I feel the stress start to break me.

Last year was awful for me. I truly wish 2011 never happened. I hated it mostly not because of the things done to me but because of the things I did that I am not pleased with. This year I am doing well. I give God credit for that. He snatched me from the pit I created.

Be true to yourself. Know what it is you can handle and what makes you feel good about yourself and those around you. Do not try to fit into someone else's idea of who you should be. Take time for yourself. Be balanced with your care taking of others. We were meant to connect but not to the detriment of good health. You will not be able to care for others if you forget about you. And last cut yourself slack. This one is tough for me. I tend to beat myself up. Allow conviction to work change in you and rebuke condemnation because it only leads to chains.

Be well everyone and know you are not a mistake. You have purpose. You are loved. You are accepted as you are and there is grace in the meantime while work towards a better you. To quote Lysa Terkeurst, "Imperfect progress."
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I loooove it! "imperfect progress!" I will use that! Ms Lisa I am only glad 2011 happened to you bc now you are sharper and wiser and more humble....you shine!
    Ms Oboeing...you put into perspective that someone can have a lot to hold but not break! I am so happy you have a therapist and USE it!!!!!!! Guess when this cloud has past your 'shine' will come through too and your gifting and purpose in it all. I am so proud of you! I don't fault you...for not exercising daily...sometimes our jobs and etc won't let us but you do do it when you can!
    YOU ladies are true women in the sense of the word...keep moving forward even when sometimes there are bumps in the road.

Big hug to you all...Cuatro mama and Smalem too!