Agnostic and/or atheist, what does it mean?

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/737445-what-atheist-and-or-agnostic-actually-mean?page=1

f380W.gif

I guess ppl who are not comfortable to join an "Agnostic/Atheist" group
may not care to post under the link above,
in which case, guess they could post HERE:smile: in THIS group, to discuss what those words,
atheist
agnostic
deist
theist
etc
actually MEAN.:smile:to most ppl, anyway.

Replies

• bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Options
    these would be my guesses:

atheist - REFUTES the existence of God (i find these ppl are usually angry at God, which by definition means they believe in His existence; rarely will u find one who genuinely believes there is absolutely no God without emotion tied into it)

agnostic - believes in the POSSIBLE existence of God, but believes Him ambiguous (they recognize He's probably out there somewhere but has no idea how He's involved with the world, nor care to ask- probably most people fall in this category)

deist - believes in the REAL existence of One God, and that He is omnipotent, but only insofar as a watchmaker is the spawn of a watch's life... He set the world in motion but is now totally uninvolved in its persistence- basically He walked away after the Big Bang- they give a little more purpose to God than an agnostic would

theist - believes in the REAL existence of God, and that He is responsible not only for the spawn of all existence, but is continuously responsible for existence- anyone believing in organized religion is a theist, whether Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, or Native American... theists may believe in a single God or an organization of gods, but either way they still are involved with mankind & are responsible for life's events.

what do u think those definitions mean?
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bekinator-your guess on the Atheist is for the most part very wrong. I would consider myself an atheist, I was raised christian, and am not an atheist just because I am mad at god. I simply believe there is no evidence to prove a god exists. I know a lot of atheists, and none of them are mad at god either, they again, simply don't believe in him. What I do find they are mad at, are the religious people that shove religion down their throat, and tell them that they are going to burn in hell. So actually, yes they are mad at god, a lot of his followers (NOT ALL) are pricks.
  • bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Options
    that's awesome! then u would be a true atheist RunsForFood, if u would admit that there are no strings attached. it's in my experience that a lot of people i know have taken anger & bitterness to that kind of level- whether they blame Him or whichever religious institutions. i think real atheists would be more objective & less societally-"convinced". also, as true atheists, i'd imagine the accusers who would damn u to hell wouldn't make u mad so much as they'd evoke pity, no?