Fall challenges

Options
As the trees start to change color in my area, I am thinking that fall & winter months tend to be a challenge for me. I begin to have strong food cravings as my body wants to pack on fat for the cold winter months. The local bike paths will be covered with leaves, then snow and the sun will go down at 4:30 in the afternoon, leaving me wanting to hibernate in front of the big screen.
- What are your favorite fall and winter foods?
- How can we make them into better calorie options?
- What do you do for exercise choices in cool/cold weather?

Replies

• curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Riding my bike has been my primary source of exercise this summer, I have a home gym, Wii Fit and stationary bike that I plan on using after the weather changes.

As far as food goes, fall is the time I start looking for roasts with potatoes and trimmings. I feel better about my portion control going into this fall/winter season and will be depending on tracking intake on MFP to keep me in check. We eat pretty healthy, it's my junk snacking and portions that I have to watch.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking layers. I'm hoping to keep exercising outside as much as possible all winter. I'll fill in at the gym but I don't really like exercising inside.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am going to start training for a half marathon in the spring. Winter it typically pretty mild here in the valley I live in, and if things get ugly I will just go snow shoeing.

To clarify, I will not be running a half marathon this spring. I found a program that will train you to run/walk a half marathon. The race is the Robie Creek one. Look it up. It's kind of cool.