Large Heart

Options
Due to endurance cardio. What do you know? How do you know when shortness of breath is due to allergy/asthma or can it be the BIG ONE ??

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You might want to read this......

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/80/35141/enlarged-heart-athletes-not-uncommon.html

as it's an enlarged heart from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy that's the killer.

I suspect this is a conversation you should be having with your doctor and, if needed, a referral to a cardiologist.

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks I was thinking the same. But my GP did not advice a Cardiologist.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    You can get an enlarged heart because of alot of different reasons, but usually due to uncontrolled hypertension (high blood pressure), of congestive heart failure. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is relatively rare, and usually unless you have an echo, it wouldnt be diagnosed with just an xray.

Do you have it? how were you diagnosed? Alot of time short. of breath if you have heart disease is due to a valve problem, but either way, if you have concerns like this you should absolutely get a referral to a cardiologist!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dawn. Yes I had an echo done at the hospital. After all the testing it was diagnosis of enlarge heart from endurance cardio. I was very ill in May and spent several nights in hospital from of all things Mono. Married 28yrs and I get mono. hahaha. It was the worst. They did a lot of test because they had no idea what was wrong until the 5th night. Being 50 you get the work. I am getting to understand that this is not a big deal many people who run or jog or do aerobic live with this. I was a long distant swimmer in school then took up jogging in the 80's. So I am good. Just have to get the mind around it.