Taoist Arts

I am new to the site and to the forum. I have always had an affinity for martial arts and philosophical thought. Knowledge comes to me, though skill must be earned through dedication and patience. I have been studying varied arts through media and some wing chun and kenpo through a friend before I moved. I am very interested in increasing my internal energy and control of said energy. Are there any with knowledge of any primary internal arts? All subjects interest me in this respect. Even those outside of martial capabilities. My primary focus or main martial form is Ba Gua. I have always been circular and had good use of my limbs. Tho I will say that does not limit me, only increase my appetite for learning more Taoist arts and internal alchemy. Feel free to add me and pick my brain over. I am a library with no Dewey.

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Welcome to the forum.

If you want to learn, your best bet is to find a (decent) teacher. It's possible to cause ill-health by learning from a book or DVD. Even simple things like stances can be incorrect when learnt from a book or DVD. But I would say that. :laugh:
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Welcome to the forum.

If you want to learn, your best bet is to find a (decent) teacher. It's possible to cause ill-health by learning from a book or DVD. Even simple things like stances can be incorrect when learned from a book or DVD. But I would say that. :laugh:

I try to measure all the knowledge from media and attempt to synthesize my own understanding and posturing. I have read in every book that a professional should be sought to correct any variances but I lack fund and locale to gain this knowledge from a teacher. I do have a good foundation to build on tho with the information I have been given. A teacher of ill-ability can be more damaging then improper book learning. Just saying.
  • darrensurrey
    I try to measure all the knowledge from media and attempt to synthesize my own understanding and posturing. I have read in every book that a professional should be sought to correct any variances but I lack fund and locale to gain this knowledge from a teacher. I do have a good foundation to build on tho with the information I have been given. A teacher of ill-ability can be more damaging then improper book learning. Just saying.

I've been in the industry a while and know there are a lot of teachers who might as well just teach you to wave your hands slowly around.
  • althaluszombie

I've been in the industry a while and know there are a lot of teachers who might as well just teach you to wave your hands slowly around.

That is the truth. Price for classes I think have some to do. True teachers care little for money I believe. That is amazing how long you have been practicing. What kind of experiences have you had with your practice? Which moves do you feel have improved your health most? I do much Zhan Zhaung, standing stake for my energy building and basic body strengthening.
  • darrensurrey

That is the truth. Price for classes I think have some to do. True teachers care little for money I believe. That is amazing how long you have been practicing. What kind of experiences have you had with your practice? Which moves do you feel have improved your health most? I do much Zhan Zhaung, standing stake for my energy building and basic body strengthening.

Ha. That's a problem. What a decent teacher wants to teach and what students want are not entirely the same thing.

Now, if you want to learn the form, then you could find a crap (and hopefully cheap) instructor who will teach you the(a?) form and you could apply your studies to correct the form outside the class. As I wrote in a PM, a lot of learning comes from self-reflection. You'll practice for months without progressing then suddenly get an "ah ha!" moment and what your teacher told you once that you thought didn't make sense suddenly clicks. Tai chi really tests your patience.
  • althaluszombie

Ha. That's a problem. What a decent teacher wants to teach and what students want are not entirely the same thing.

Now, if you want to learn the form, then you could find a crap (and hopefully cheap) instructor who will teach you the(a?) form and you could apply your studies to correct the form outside the class. As I wrote in a PM, a lot of learning comes from self-reflection. You'll practice for months without progressing then suddenly get an "ah ha!" moment and what your teacher told you once that you thought didn't make sense suddenly clicks. Tai chi really tests your patience.
    Classes I am not worried of. The world is my class. Tai chi is about relaxation and allowing the posture to adhere to a proper stance to balance all within. Its walking meditation with obvious extras. Do you know any chi kung exercises that will strengthen the lower abdominal? I have an inguinal hernia so that often prevents me from doing my practice.
  • darrensurrey

Classes I am not worried of. The world is my class. Tai chi is about relaxation and allowing the posture to adhere to a proper stance to balance all within. Its walking meditation with obvious extras. Do you know any chi kung exercises that will strengthen the lower abdominal? I have an inguinal hernia so that often prevents me from doing my practice.

Try yoga.
  • althaluszombie

Try yoga.
    I have been practicing Hatha Yoga using Light on Yoga by Iyengar and Layayoga by Goswami. I just do not practice enough. I have tho in the last 3 days and my hernia has been lessened. I have been more energized
  • darrensurrey

I have been practicing Hatha Yoga using Light on Yoga by Iyengar and Layayoga by Goswami. I just do not practice enough. I have tho in the last 3 days and my hernia has been lessened. I have been more energized

Great news! Keep practising. :D