first time mom in Nov. counting breastfeeding calories

Options
I will be breastfeeding when my baby arrives. How do you count your breast feeding calories. Today I took my breastfeeding class today. The lady said that in a day you can burn up to 250 calories. I also read in books it can be 250-500 calories in a day. How are you counting your breastfeeding calories. I use to run, but I know that I will have to start to walk first.

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There's a way to log it- it's actually in food. At the beginning, you can actually burn up to 500 calories a day.

So if you type in breastfeeding in your food diary, it will give you negative 500, or 300, or 250- depending on how much you're breastfeeding. Enjoy!:)
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this as well, I think what I decided is I'm just going to eat at maintenance while breastfeeding. This will leave me with a 200-500 deficit daily, so I am losing, but should have enough for my milk. For me I will be eating around 2000-2100 calories...that is the plan anyway :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this as well, I think what I decided is I'm just going to eat at maintenance while breastfeeding. This will leave me with a 200-500 deficit daily, so I am losing, but should have enough for my milk. For me I will be eating around 2000-2100 calories...that is the plan anyway :)

This is a good plan, but if you see your supply start to dwindle, you should eat more. (As in, make sure you are netting your maintenance calories.) And keep drinking water!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

This is a good plan, but if you see your supply start to dwindle, you should eat more. (As in, make sure you are netting your maintenance calories.) And keep drinking water!

Thanks for the advice. That is just a rough number, if I'm hungry I will listen to my body and eat more!