Radio restrictions.

Replies

• KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    I'm still confused as to how, exactly, this is dangerous. even if you for whatever reason think you're hearing a real emergency vehicle ... so what? you look in your rear view. look in your side mirrors and left and right. by the time you do this, the guy is already on the radio trying to sell you mattresses or whatever. so ... where's the danger here, again?

thats whta im trying to figure out and thats why i said if something as trivial as this makes you drive in a dangerous manner you should not be driving at all.

And I'd say you're a damn liar if you sit there and say you've never, ever been distracted by something while driving, whether it be noise or not.

Perhaps they don't distract you two, but they do others, and to different extents.

You're also both seriously dramatizing the word "dangerous." I can't speak for Evan or anyone else, but I seriously doubt they mean that their cars will explode from some crazy Hollywood-esque car crash.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Maybe turn the radio down a bit?
    :flowerforyou:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    I'm still confused as to how, exactly, this is dangerous. even if you for whatever reason think you're hearing a real emergency vehicle ... so what? you look in your rear view. look in your side mirrors and left and right. by the time you do this, the guy is already on the radio trying to sell you mattresses or whatever. so ... where's the danger here, again?

thats whta im trying to figure out and thats why i said if something as trivial as this makes you drive in a dangerous manner you should not be driving at all.

I'm with these guys (or gals)

You think you hear a siren, you check your mirror, realize it's the radio, keep driving. It's about as distracting as a billboard or pretty trees. If you need to focus so much on the road that checking your mirror for a possible safety vehicle can cause you to wreck your car please, get off the roads.

"I crashed because I THOUGHT I heard a siren..." C'mon. You shouldn't have any problem if you heard an ACTUAL siren, how would mistakenly hearing one be an issue?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    I don't listen to the radio. That seems to solve the problem for me.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Just put in a CD...Led Zeppelin maybe?
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member

Oh god...his voice is enough for me to prefer to hear a siren. :laugh: Unless it's Stairway to Heaven. :wink:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member

Oh god...his voice is enough for me to prefer to hear a siren. :laugh: Unless it's Stairway to Heaven. :wink:

Nice!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member

And I'd say you're a damn liar if you sit there and say you've never, ever been distracted by something while driving, whether it be noise or not.

Perhaps they don't distract you two, but they do others, and to different extents.

You're also both seriously dramatizing the word "dangerous." I can't speak for Evan or anyone else, but I seriously doubt they mean that their cars will explode from some crazy Hollywood-esque car crash.

hes comparing it to yelling fire in a crowded theater which actually is dangerous.

and of course everyone gets distracted by something...cars, billboards, trees etc...but it lasts for a milisecond and is in no way dangerous.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member

hes comparing it to yelling fire in a crowded theater which actually is dangerous.

and of course everyone gets distracted by something...cars, billboards, trees etc...but it lasts for a milisecond and is in no way dangerous.

Why can't people read. Ever? I did compare it to yelling fire in a theater...because a comparison can be made along with a contrast. I didn't say it was analogous. I mentioned it because goes to the limits we have for free speech. I didn't say it was as dangerous as that, but thanks so much for putting words in my mouth.

I stand by my statement that it's potentially dangerous. It's a needless distraction that has a direct effect on behavior. For example, I might wonder why this clown is slowing down and trying to pull off to the side of the road. Going from any position in a road to another position is what is known as "going from a position of safety to an unsafe position." It increases the chances bad things to happen. Obviously other drivers should be driving carefully enough to avoid accidents, and obviously drivers who might be fooled should be able to pull over without causing a problem. Neither of those facts negate possible negligence on the part of the distraction in the first place from a legal standpoint. Fault in these situations is never a zero sum game.

Whether or not you agree that someone should be able to tell the difference in time is irrelevant. As it happens, I have some mild hearing loss. Depending on how realistic the sound is, I have trouble telling how real it is regardless of how loud it is. Clearly some people think the solution is for me to not listen to the radio, whereas I think the solution is to simply not play fake siren noises that would otherwise serve to alert people to emergencies were they not being used in a deceptive way. At that point it's a matter of opinion.

EDIT: and before it even gets bloody mentioned, yes I did say it was potentially more dangerous than yelling fire in a theater...because it is. It's also potentially much less dangerous.
  • SwannySez
    Why can't people read. Ever? I did compare it to yelling fire in a theater...because a comparison can be made along with a contrast. I didn't say it was analogous. I mentioned it because goes to the limits we have for free speech. I didn't say it was as dangerous as that, but thanks so much for putting words in my mouth.

I stand by my statement that it's potentially dangerous. It's a needless distraction that has a direct effect on behavior. For example, I might wonder why this clown is slowing down and trying to pull off to the side of the road. Going from any position in a road to another position is what is known as "going from a position of safety to an unsafe position." It increases the chances bad things to happen. Obviously other drivers should be driving carefully enough to avoid accidents, and obviously drivers who might be fooled should be able to pull over without causing a problem. Neither of those facts negate possible negligence on the part of the distraction in the first place from a legal standpoint. Fault in these situations is never a zero sum game.

Whether or not you agree that someone should be able to tell the difference in time is irrelevant. As it happens, I have some mild hearing loss. Depending on how realistic the sound is, I have trouble telling how real it is regardless of how loud it is. Clearly some people think the solution is for me to not listen to the radio, whereas I think the solution is to simply not play fake siren noises that would otherwise serve to alert people to emergencies were they not being used in a deceptive way. At that point it's a matter of opinion.

EDIT: and before it even gets bloody mentioned, yes I did say it was potentially more dangerous than yelling fire in a theater...because it is. It's also potentially much less dangerous.
    I would also like political discourse removed from the airwaves since it has the potential to lead to bloodshed.

Now cheer up, Evan!
  • EvanKeel

I would also like political discourse removed from the airwaves since it has the potential to lead to bloodshed.

Now cheer up, Evan!

If the intended nature of political discourse were to cause bloodshed, your comparison would be more apt to sway me, Swanny. The intended use of emergency signals is to cause people to alter their driving. When one party believes that's happening and another doesn't, risk increases. A few weeks ago I saw a car get plowed by fire engine; I guess they weren't listening. Perhaps they should have been distracted. This is just the opposite of that case. Both are deviations from expected behavior due to a failure in communication.
  • SwannySez
    If the intended nature of political discourse were to cause bloodshed, your comparison would be more apt to sway me, Swanny.
    That's generally my intended nature.
  • Laces_0ut

wow. just wow. hopefully you dont eat while watching tv. a siren could come on and you could get distracted and accidently poke your eye out.
  • EvanKeel

wow. just wow. hopefully you dont eat while watching tv. a siren could come on and you could get distracted and accidently poke your eye out.

As usual, awesome feedback. Much appreciated.

/sarcasm.
  • Laces_0ut

As usual, awesome feedback. Much appreciated.

/sarcasm.

at least i make sense. you are the one that keeps rambling about safety and fake sirens on the radio.

Umad.jpg
  • EvanKeel

at least i make sense. you are the one that keeps rambling about safety and fake sirens on the radio.

You make sense to yourself. I obviously disagree. But instead of trying to have a conversation about it, you just present passive aggressive incredulity and imply that I'm not only wrong but completely out of touch with reality. Neither of which is useful at all, unless you're just trying to be a troll.

As to the image, yeah, I'm a little annoyed. There's nothing wrong with that. I come here looking for real conversation (hence the title of the group). Mostly what you seem to be giving me are just your assumptions about how reality works.

So again, you're not being all that useful, though I'm sure you're entertaining yourself--that's what trolls do, after all.
  • Laces_0ut

You make sense to yourself. I obviously disagree. But instead of trying to have a conversation about it, you just present passive aggressive incredulity and imply that I'm not only wrong but completely out of touch with reality. Neither of which is useful at all, unless you're just trying to be a troll.

As to the image, yeah, I'm a little annoyed. There's nothing wrong with that. I come here looking for real conversation (hence the title of the group). Mostly what you seem to be giving me are just your assumptions about how reality works.

So again, you're not being all that useful, though I'm sure you're entertaining yourself--that's what trolls do, after all.

lol you dont know the definition of troll. sometimes people makes statements that are so far out in left field(like yours) that there is no reasonable way to talk to them. your statement is on par with the moon landing deniers.
  • EvanKeel

lol you dont know the definition of troll. sometimes people makes statements that are so far out in left field(like yours) that there is no reasonable way to talk to them. your statement is on par with the moon landing deniers.

Conveniently dismissing my argument because you claim it's too crazy address directly, despite the fact that I've laid out specific points you could talk about in more detail, doesn't make you right. It makes you either inarticulate or lazy.

It's a perfectly legit stance to assert that I'm wrong, but you can't just assume you're right and expect anything to happen. That's why you're a toll. You're not actually engaging with the discussion (because you falsely claim it's too crazy to engage with), and instead you just keep saying the equivalent of "you're wrong" to every point I bring up without bothering to state why. Because you're not trying to have the discussion, and think that it can't be had but still participate with comments, your goal isn't to be productive at all. Otherwise you just wouldn't comment. You just want to keep things going because it entertains you. Thus you're a troll.
  • Laces_0ut
    Conveniently dismissing my argument because you claim it's too crazy address directly, despite the fact that I've laid out specific points you could talk about in more detail, doesn't make you right. It makes you either inarticulate or lazy.

It's a perfectly legit stance to assert that I'm wrong, but you can't just assume you're right and expect anything to happen. That's why you're a toll. You're not actually engaging with the discussion (because you falsely claim it's too crazy to engage with), and instead you just keep saying the equivalent of "you're wrong" to every point I bring up without bothering to state why. Because you're not trying to have the discussion, and think that it can't be had but still participate with comments, your goal isn't to be productive at all. Otherwise you just wouldn't comment. You just want to keep things going because it entertains you. Thus you're a troll.

its like arguing with someone who claims Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he has a ring. there is no need to prove anything because the person is just fundamentally wrong.

and as much as i am saying "you're wrong" you are just saying "i'm right" it cuts both ways. but the difference is you have the minority opinion. if it is upsetting to you to have sirens on the radio my guess is that you probably view lots of things in this world as dangerous. id love to know what else worries you.(not really)
  • EvanKeel

its like arguing with someone who claims Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he has a ring. there is no need to prove anything because the person is just fundamentally wrong.

and as much as i am saying "you're wrong" you are just saying "i'm right" it cuts both ways. but the difference is you have the minority opinion. if it is upsetting to you to have sirens on the radio my guess is that you probably view lots of things in this world as dangerous. id love to know what else worries you.(not really)

Except that I've actually given reasons for why I think it's dangerous. Dangerous is of course a relative term. You have yet to say why you think I'm wrong other than "no you're wrong." And again, you're allowed to have that view, but it doesn't hold any more validity than mine if all you have to offer is your opinion.

In the interest of honesty, I don't particularly appreciate your mocking tone, but I don't imagine you care much either.