ixap's "can't run that FAR when running that FAST" thread

Options
ixap
ixap Posts: 675 Member
My info's all in my profile, but anyway, I am focusing on the 5K this year.
I've shied away from really training for this distance in favor of long trail races.
Partly that's been because I prefer the trail. But if I'm honestly, it's also partly because I don't have a lot of natural speed, and I didn't want to train hard and then fail.

I don't have time to do a fall ultramarathon this year, so I am giving it a go in the 5K.
I ran 24:15 at this time last year without any specific speed training. This year I'm going for 22:30.
I think this is realistic for me, but will hurt!

I spent the summer building up my aerobic base a-la Lydiard. I had hoped to be doing 50-60 miles per week all summer, but it just wasn't agreeing with me. I used to be able to do 50-70 no problem. I don't know if it's my age (35 now), lack of sleep (I have 2 kids now), or the addition of weight training (CrossFit twice a week now) taxing my legs, but anything over 40-45 was giving me issues. So I did what I could, hope it was enough!

I'm several weeks into the speed training now. I eased in with 1 short speed workout per week, now up to 2 medium-length ones per week. I'll have about another month to continue this, then I'll taper for race day.

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome! When is the 5K race day?

I've run like a million 5ks, but only for fun, never for time. I've heard it said that you didn't do it right if you aren't throwing up at the finish line! Glad you're here. Cheers!
  • ixap
    Options
    I've run like a million 5ks, but only for fun, never for time.
    Same! I'm excited and nervous to really try.

It's 11/4/12.

and in fact I am a barfer after extreme exertion, LOL so it could happen.
  • ixap
    Options
    bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

bad mood

I've been trying to ignore my pain for a couple of days, but I'm actually injured.
    Left piriformis.

I spent Monday and Tuesday doing tons of stretching, foam rolling, NSAIDS, only easy runs, and it's getting better, but not all better.

I am gonna have to take a week off.

BOOOOO.
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I had to take a week off too. It was horrible. I missed the gym so much. :/