Winter cycling gear

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
The cold dark mornings and evenings will soon be upon us, and last year I just put my bike under the stairs and didn't use it again hardly until late February.

This year I want to try to carry on commuting at least a couple of times a week as I don't want to lose all the fitness and speed I've built up. I will probably use my more sturdy MTB (with lock-out suspension) and forget PBs until the Spring.

The only thing is, I don't really have a winter cycling wardrobe. I have one "winter" long sleeve top which I got from Aldi last year. I have an Altura night vision fluorescent yellow jacket, which is quite lightweight but I think will still keep me warm if I close the vent thingies.

I have read lots about arm and leg warmers - but would your recommend a base layer instead to keep the torso warm and not just arms and legs. I normally wear 3/4 length cycling trousers, so I may look to get a couple of pairs of longer ones.

Any reasonably priced places in UK you'd recommend? I normally buy from places like Sports Direct as I don't want to buy expensive gear when I'm losing weight...but perhaps some things you can't skimp on!

Look forward to hearing what you all do for winter as at the moment it seems a bit of a minefield!! Give me sunshine, short sleeve jerseys and cycling shorts any day, it seems much simpler to try and stay cool !

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've got a selection of Lidl & Aldi stuff, which is both inexpensive and very good!

Go to their websites and sign up for their newsletters and you will be e-mailed with what they have coming out.

Be warned though, if you are not there first thing on the morning the offers are released, you will miss out!

:wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you'd not go too far wrong with any of the DHB kit from Wiggle - it's their own brand stuff, designed for UK conditions, and good quality for the price. Their "Roubaix" bib tights are brilliant for the colder stuff - and if I had to recommend one item of cold weather clothing it'd be their Merino Base Layers. Fantastic warm stuff, and (really good when commuting) you can ride in wearing it, change into working clothing, and change back into it for the ride home WITHOUT IT STINKING (unlike synthetic base layers!)

Other tip is to look after your extremeties, good gloves (get them at a shop so you KNOW they fit properly), overshoes and those under the helmet beanies are pretty much a must, and I swear by one of those Buff things (tube scarf/neckerchief thingummy)

Oh - and last of all - if your commute is 45 minutes each way, try to dress so you're on the cool side of comfortable for the first 5 minutes, or you'll be a boil-in-the-bag Fran by the end of the journey :laugh:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    +1 on the DHB stuff too!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have used UnderArmor thermal tights for the last 3 winters in Portland, OR with a thin set of bike shorts underneath for the lower half for when it's really cold and wet. For the top I used a long sleeve 3/4 zip I bought at Target and a rain jacket by REI. I tend to mix and match cyc.y/non-cycling specific clothing mostly due to the fact cyclying specific clothing can be rather expensive, but I never skimp on gloves. Good, warm, weatherproof gloves make a world of difference. And with wool socks on the feet I've been warm in 30degree temps with rain on my commute.

Two things though...dress for how you'll be 5-10minutes into the ride. You should be slightly chilled when you start, if not you're going to roast. Lights. Staying warm does no good if you can't be seen and end up as a hood ornament in the dark rainy winter months.

Just my $0.02
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bump... Like this post and was going to ask the same thing myself. Not wanting to hijack, but does anyone consider waterproof socks or overboots better. I think the overboots are more for keeping the wind at bay, rather than keeping boots dry. But feet and hands will be my main focus for the winter as I am a right wuss when it comes to getting my dannies cold.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Bump... Like this post and was going to ask the same thing myself. Not wanting to hijack, but does anyone consider waterproof socks or overboots better. I think the overboots are more for keeping the wind at bay, rather than keeping boots dry. But feet and hands will be my main focus for the winter as I am a right wuss when it comes to getting my dannies cold.

I wear neoprene overboots in the cold & wet.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm wimping it and reverting to indoor cycling during these dark & cold mornings/nights. My commute is 25miles across rural roads so I don't think it's worth the risk myself.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I wouldn't do your commute in winter for a gold pig mate!

I don't mind riding in winter, but I'm lucky - I get to ride in the middle of the day, when at least it's fully light, and probably as warm as it gets.

Neoprene Overshoes are fantastic - coupled with "sealskins" socks if it's raining as well, they'll keep you going for a full 3-4 hours if needed.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I wear leather work boots and gauntlet style snowmobile boots. Then I ride as hard as possibleI so I'm perpetually sweating and breathing hard. That keeps me warm. I don't usually ride below 28 degrees F. however.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Have a look here - http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25481.htm

No release date shown, but this stuff is great value!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Oooo that stuff looks good - and I was going to put an order in with Wiggle tonight...so I might just do that for the overshoes and wait for this stuff as it seems to have merino tops and a lot of winter gear. It looks like (from the Specials countdown) it will be next Thursday. I pass Aldi on my way to work so may have to go there first thing next Thu if that's the case.

Thanks all for the suggestions, it's helped my search for dry and warmth a bit easier!!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Just an update to say I went to Aldi yesterday as they have just got some cycling gear in and spent about £80 on winter gear

I got compression undergarments (top and bottom), merino cycling shirt, winter cycling trousers (full length), waterproof cycling trousers, arm & leg warmers & winter cycling shirt, oh and some socks. I had already got a buff thingy, waterproof overshoes and a headband (to keep me ears warm) from Wiggle.

I have to say the quality of the items from Aldi, for the price, is very good. The cycling trousers don't have any drawstring around the waist which is probably the only drawback, however I don't want to buy expensive gear whilst I'm still losing weight and have a good couple of stones to go, so this is ideal to see me through this winter.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    bbbbrrrrrrr, they are here,,,,,,,,, we have had frosts twice,,,,,,,,, freezing!!!!!!! time to change the clothes, NOW!
  • MTBSolo
    MTBSolo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If people are after waterproof trousers then ex army stuff (used or new) is worth looking into as it tends to be non branded Goretex. There are lots of sellers on the web and while prices have risen recently it's still good VFM compared to specific cycling kit.

re shoes - I use waterproof cycling boots with decent socks off road in the winter but they are expensive. On road the overshoes are good as they keep you dry / warm but also protect your shoes.

clothing wise I wear long lycra bibs for the lower half and then on top preferably merino layer for Autumn (Ground Effect baked alaska) with a gillet or Event 2 jacket if needed. I will put on a second layer for winter. Also have a buff, neck "tube" and goretex gloves. I've not found decent water proof gloves yet that will withstand a number of hours in the rain.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ...I've not found decent water proof gloves yet that will withstand a number of hours in the rain.

Old (Motor)Biker's Trick - Silk Liner Gloves, a pair of "marigolds" (other dishwashing gloves are available) and normal padded gauntlets/mits over them. For the real silly cold stuff, I had a pair of "divided mittens" - I think they were by Pearl Izumi - looked like Lobster Claws, but had enough dexterity to change gear / 2 finger brake on the MTB, and still kept fingers in pairs to "share heat".