No gym membership? It's the little things that count -

Options
Not everyone has the opportunity to go to gym, whether is be the cost of affording a membership or the time.

Shortly after I had Leah, I decided 1. I could not afford my 24 hour fitness membership and 2. being I worked full-time and was a mom to a new born = I had no time either. So, I cancelled it.

But I often sat and read on spark people or facebook about people working out, classes and I was totally jealous. So, what was I to do? I was able to loose 50 pounds without a gym membership.

Here are the little things I did, and some were little, but every last effort counts!

1.I started going on walks and eventually running with my daughter. I didn't have a fancy jogging stoller. I pulled out the old 100 pound chico travel system, strapped her in and we off. (trust me, those tires took a beating, but it held up!). I was not your athlete runner either, I started out with my goal of 1 lap around the block and worked my way up from there. I did this 2-3 times a week.
2. I decided walking was my friend, whether it was a true workout walk or just a little walk to the mailbox.
- Trick: park far far FAR away from the store doors, as much as you think it sucks, it helps so much to get just those extra few inches of walking in, especially lugging a baby.
- Trick: I took the stairs as work, not the elevator. I work on a very old University campus and stairs are everywhere. If I needed to go somewhere I was purposly walking stairs and even taking extra stairs to floors, just to walk during my lunch break.
- Trick: I was walking and moving at lunch. I wouldn't just SIT at my desk or the lunch table, I ate and then I GOT UP and moved it. Whether I walking outside or inside, taking the stairs, I used my lunch break to move and burn calories.
- Trick: oh you need that lifted? or moved? LET ME DO IT! I would purposed lift and move heavy things, that may seem like an everyday burden, but its burning calories and called strength training (the mommy way). Time to: move the cases of waterbottles, bring them inside, re-arrange the living room furniture, clean the garage (and your husband's heavy tools).
3. In the 10 minutes to spare, between feedings to chasing a toddler, I would get down and do some crunches, maybe just 20, but if I had a chance, I got down and did it!
- Is your child watching a show or playing, get down next to them and work it out mommy! Crunches, push ups, stretching - its a few minutes to do something and keep MOVING while they are occupied.

Those 3 things, and little tricks and tips inside, is how I did. I didnt and still don't have much time, but anything I could do and still can do extra, I do.

What tips and tricks do you have to share for those without a gym membership?

- Feel free to add me, always looking for mommy friends to keep each other motivated!