Hal Higdon program "substitutions"

Options
Cheeta_HH
Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
I'm just about half way through the Hal Higdon intermediate 15K plan. I am a creature of habit, so I really do like the structure, but I miss some of my classes at the gym (Zumba, Tae Bo, and Pilates). I don't have the energy to do these in addition to the running plan.

Do you think it would make much difference to substitute one of my shorter runs with a 60 minute class?

I'm comfortable with the weekly mileage so far, and my speed has improved. I don't want to lose any of my progress (which I'm afraid will happen if I don't do everything according to plan), but I want to change things up a bit.

Have any of you altered the plan and run less than the suggested weekly mileage? Would you recommend that i just hold off on the classes until I finish my race in early November?

I'm probably overthinking this, huh? : )

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I see no troubles with making minor modifications to the program. Hell, I see no troubles with making major modifications if you are sure of what you're doing. :) I'd keep cut back weeks, no more than 10% additional mileage each week, etc... especially if you like that about the program. I find those things beneficial, personally.

I've been known to make changes to the Higdon programs with no ill effects.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

I've been known to make changes to the Higdon programs with no ill effects.

me too! go for it!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Hal Higdon as a template for my Marathon. He recommends three euns in the week and then the long run at the weekend. I often only manage two durinmg the week but never skimp on the Long Run.

Long Run is key and I think HH even refers to mixing it up as long as you don't lose the weekend LR.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    A lot of HH plans recommend a day of cross training anyway, with the exception of the advanced programmes i thought? Training plans are never gospel, they should always be flexible
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That is certainly acceptable, might even be beneficial to help fight off injury.