running toe starts

Options
SkateboardFi
SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
i cannot, for the life of me master this skill lol, any and all advice/techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• 76blaze
    Options
    I'm not to good at it either. We start out by practicing walking back and forth across the rink on our toes, then when we get it mastered, we practice taking the first few steps running. But, I can't do it very well either. We practice toe starts and duck walk starts too, which I find to be a bit easier (although you might look silly). Our coaches told us, it's just a preference, whichever you're more comfortable with it is the best for you, I guess.

I don't know if this helps, but thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

Welcome :smile:
  • pinkyD1953
    pinkyD1953 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with Blaze. I can do them but I wouldn't say I do them well. One tip I can give you that helped me be a little more confident is the toe stops themselves. I tried several different brands/styles of toe stops. I love my Gumball Toe Stops. Also, try letting your toe stops down a little bit. The "height" of your toe stops can make a huge difference. Too high can make toe stop walk/runs really difficult. Let them down a little bit at a time till you find you comfort zone. I then mark the threads with a Sharpie in case I need to change them out so I know where my "spot" is!
  • JustineSane
    JustineSane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that toe stops make a difference. In my Outlaw skates I can walk/run around the whole arena no problem. In my Reidell's I can't do more than about 10 steps ....each of my skates is set up completely different - bushings, wheels, trucks, etc.... for different purposes. Play around with your stops and skates. If all else fails - wear some high heel shoes more often :)
  • 76blaze
    Options
    I had wondered if wearing high heels would help. I think it's a good idea.
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm not great at them either. One, two steps maybe and I'm back to duck running/running crossovers.
    I have gumballs and like them, but bought short stem and have them all the way up. Maybe I should try slowly lowering them.