How soon can you start doing ab work outs?

Options
StephFork
StephFork Posts: 182 Member
I'm just over 4 weeks PP and I'm wanting to start doing ab work but haven't beemmn cleared yet. Do you think it's too soon to start?

Replies

• airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am just over 2 weeks (we came home from the hospital 2 weeks ago but he was born on the Wednesday night) and I was wondering the same thing. Because I had gestational diabetes I only gained like 19 lbs because of diet restrictions. I am already down past my first weight when the OB weighed me by about 6 lbs but my stomach is still all flabby/stretched out. I don't go back to the doctor until October 17 and I'm pretty sure my OB won't let me exercise until after the 6 week point. She really gave me a ton of restriction for the first 6 weeks and I didin't even have a c section.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section and I was cleared at 6 weeks. However, it was stressed to me to just listen to my body and I will know when it's too much. I'm 8 months PP and there are still days when those planks are too much.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    With both of mine I was ok to use the gym and do abs and things from 6 weeks, but I didn't have a c-section and I didn't even need stitches! I probably could've gone back to the gym earlier than 6 weeks, but I wanted to be careful.
  • StephFork
    Options
    I am just over 2 weeks (we came home from the hospital 2 weeks ago but he was born on the Wednesday night) and I was wondering the same thing. Because I had gestational diabetes I only gained like 19 lbs because of diet restrictions. I am already down past my first weight when the OB weighed me by about 6 lbs but my stomach is still all flabby/stretched out. I don't go back to the doctor until October 17 and I'm pretty sure my OB won't let me exercise until after the 6 week point. She really gave me a ton of restriction for the first 6 weeks and I didin't even have a c section.

That's great that you didn't gain much and actually followed the gestational diabetes plan. My sister had it when she was pregnant and didn't follow it at all. My doctor stressed taking it easy too and I didn't have a c-section. I also only had a minor first degree tear that seems to be healed. I bet you will bounce back quickly once you can get started!
  • StephFork
    Options
    With both of mine I was ok to use the gym and do abs and things from 6 weeks, but I didn't have a c-section and I didn't even need stitches! I probably could've gone back to the gym earlier than 6 weeks, but I wanted to be careful.

I feel the same way about being worried to heal. So far I've just done arms and waking.. I actually got a Bob stroller yesterday and it's going to make a huge difference in my work outs. I've decided to wait the week 1/2 for the abs. It's not too much longer in the long run.