Similac MOM

Options
snowgrrl83
snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
Hi everyone!

I would like to get some advice on this one. I'm currently taking a Prenatal Centrum vitamin daily.
I recently got a sample of Similac MOM, which is a meal replacement drink. I really liked it and I was wondering if you guys thought it would be good to take both the Centrum vitamins and the Similac MOM meal replacement drink every day or whether I should discontinue one if I'm going to take the other. I've only got about 30 Centrum vitamins go, and it tends to make my stomac feel a lil sick, so I thought that maybe I should go for the meal replacement instead...
What do you guys think? Is the meal replacement enough?

Replies

• jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I Googled it and looked at the nutritional info. Pregnant women should get 0.4mg of folic acid every day, so in order to reach that amount without taking a pre-natal vitamin, you'd have to consume the 235mL size of the drink. Keep in mind that the 235mL drink is pretty high calorie at 225 cals, and sugar is the second ingredient (although it doesn't give the amount of suger per serving in the nutritional info).

http://similac.ca/local/files/en/products/similac_mom/Similac Mom EN.pdf

I'd ask your doctor before making a switch. If you're finding your vitamin upsets your stomach try taking it after a meal. I know for myself if I take vitamins on an empty stomach, or even with too little food (ie. just a yogourt in my belly) I'm pretty much guaranteed I'll be seeing it again in 15 minutes.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find reputable info on it, but jls8209 kind of answered that for me. The amount of sugar some of these companies put in "healthy" meal replacement shakes is amazing. Basically I am completely in agreement with what jls8209 says!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm not too worried about the sugar content - it says 31 g of carbs..so it can only be 31 g of sugar (max). I'd be taking in as much sugar with a glass of orange juice, or eating a large apple.
    As for the calories. I'm not worried either as I'd probably have that instead of a glass of milk that i'd be having with my multivitamin that I end up throwing up anyway.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Then I'd say go for it, especially if you can't stomach your vitamin. I know there's someone else on here who said that with her last pregnancy, she went through seven (yes, seven) different brands of prenatal vitamins before her doctor told her to not bother with them. Every single brand made her sick.

I've had issues with vitamins when I haven't been pregnant... For some reason One-A-Day vitamins make me horribly nauseous. Some viatmins are just too huge to be able to swallow without gagging. I've had a lot of luck with Target (Up & Up) prenatals because they aren't much bigger than a Tylenol. I know adult gummy vitamins are the new thing, so perhaps someone has made gummy prenatals by now :happy:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There ARE gummy prenatals, but I wasn't impressed when I compared them to my normal prenatals (I use the Target Up brand as well, but the version that has the DHA too... the two-bottle combo pack.) Some people also chew 2 flintstones, but I'd check with my doc before doing that! :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    There ARE gummy prenatals, but I wasn't impressed when I compared them to my normal prenatals (I use the Target Up brand as well, but the version that has the DHA too... the two-bottle combo pack.) Some people also chew 2 flintstones, but I'd check with my doc before doing that! :)

Cool! I have no problem so far with regular prenatals, so I will likely skip the gummies (plus they're more expensive). I did use the Target (Up & Up) DHA supplement (my Target did not have a combo pack :ohwell: ) until I found Expecta on Amazon Subscribe & Save for less than the Target version. However, if I ever get a coupon for a buck or two off the Up & Up version, then I'll pick that up!