I got my date!

Options
I'm so excited, 10/8 is my sleeve date! I cannot wait!
I start my pre-op diet Monday....I'm a bit anxious, I know it will be hard, I know I can do it, but I am concerned with withdrawal from sugar, carbs, etc.....I'm also going to stop smoking (using the patch). I have already apologized to my family and co-workers for my possible behavior next week...lol
Any tips???

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was terrified of the pre op food too. I've failed every diet I tried, but I was really surprised at how easy it turned out to be. Probably becuase they have you eating or dirnking all the time and with 64 ounces of water every day (8 - 8ounce glasses) there was no room for cheating. Good luck and keep posting so we know how you're doing.
  • Maeiowa
    Maeiowa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So excited for you!

I got my date, too, - October 19. I am so excited! It is finally going to happen.

Keep us updated on how next week goes for you!!
  • Mlek1969
    Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting your date!
    I'm still pre-op but I've heard once you get through the first three days, the pre-op diet isn't too bad! Good luck!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Try to deal with any food issues you have now... post op it is very hard to tackle them. I remember crying 1 week post op because i couldn't eat and the smell of food sent my tummy (and emotions) soaring out of control.

Have lots of easy-on-the-tummy snacks:
    protein shakes (test them out now)
    sugar free frozen pops (by the dozen! HAHA)
    broth.. soup.. etc
    sugar free hard candies to suck on

I also bought some books that were for emotional eaters and dealing with the changes WLS brings.

Most of all, stay positive!! This is a journey, your journey, so make it the best it can be!

I am 1yr 3mo post op.. SW 264.. CW 165 - it IS possible!
  • Mlek1969
    Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try to deal with any food issues you have now... post op it is very hard to tackle them. I remember crying 1 week post op because i couldn't eat and the smell of food sent my tummy (and emotions) soaring out of control.

broth.. soup.. etc

I also bought some books that were for emotional eaters and dealing with the changes WLS brings.

Most of all, stay positive!! This is a journey, your journey, so make it the best it can be!

HDM7703, What book about dealing with changes after WLS did you find most helpful? There are so many out there, that I haven't been able to pick one out yet! Thanks
  • HMD7703
    Options

broth.. soup.. etc

HDM7703, What book about dealing with changes after WLS did you find most helpful? There are so many out there, that I haven't been able to pick one out yet! Thanks

Life After Weight Loss Surgery: Achieving and Maintaining Massive Weight Loss
    Coach Yourself Thin: Five Steps to Retrain Your Mind, Reclaim Your Power, and Lose the Weight for Good

I have one more but I cant think of the name.. I will check tonight when I get home and repost tomorrow :)
  • Iby226
    Options
    Thanks for the book ideas, I'm going to check them out!

So far today I'm ok, a bit shakey....keep wanting to have a smoke, or go for something to eat...trying to keep myself busy and move around. The Serenity prayer also helps. :)
  • Premier Nutrition shakes are my Favorite - not gritty and in little handy containers.
    They are sold at Sam Clubs! 30g of protein and 160 calories.
  • HMD7703
    Options
    Thanks for the book ideas, I'm going to check them out!

So far today I'm ok, a bit shakey....keep wanting to have a smoke, or go for something to eat...trying to keep myself busy and move around. The Serenity prayer also helps. :)

You are dealing with 2x the stress. Stay strong!!

Maybe some sugar free hard candies will take your mind off the smoking and the nibbling?
  • actg95
    actg95 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know for me, sugar free Popsicles were my friend the first two weeks. i didn't even want anything else, really. I had the no sugar added juice and things, but that worked the best for me. I really, really like the Edy's brand no sugar added fruit pops. (The smaller one's were better to me...the big bars had too much acid.)

Good luck and stay in touch!
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi lby226 -- congrats on getting a date! Exciting time for sure! From experience hunger was a serious issue for me when I started the pre-op diet. Keep a water container handy at all times, everywhere you go. And as other posters have shared, test out some protein shakes that you may like -- although do not buy too many in the beginning. Often times I read that some post-op patients do not like the same protein shake they previously liked pre-op...but everyone is different. Also keep on hand sugar-free popsicles, and sugar-free jello. Those helped me a lot when my sweet tooth wouldn't quit bothering me. I could go on and on, but VerticalSleeveTalk dot com is another great site to explore. Lots of great information and answers to all VSG questions =)