Do you/would you ever ride without a crash hat?

Options
13»

Replies

• luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm another rider who says "every ride, every time". When my daughter started riding, I made her wear a helmet. When we bought our own first horses, we both wore helmets. I told her, I would wear one too, since she had too! In Iowa (where we previously lived) all 4-H events, kids had to wear helmets when riding. In Nebraska, where we live now, I was surprised that 4-H here doesn't have the helmet rule.

I am an avid trail rider, Competitive Trail Rider and newbie Endurance LD rider and I would not get on my horse without a helmet! Again in Iowa, I was usually the only person on the trails with a helmet (kids included), but here in Nebraska, about 1/2 of my new friends wear helmets :-) It sure is nice!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    All the time! I would never ride without one. I have seen to many girls fall off and get seriously hurt when they didn't have a helmet. So its a habit to me now to put it on.
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    PTownMama, I've recently met someone using this product called DaBrim. It's a brim that fits on the helmet and provides shade like a cowboy hat! I'm a Ginger, so I have to hide from the sun or I burst into flames. My local tack shop keeps ordering these but they sell like hotcakes and I haven't tried one in person. But I want to!

Link here: http://www.dabrim.com/html/products/equestrian/endurance.htm
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Looks useful, suzette!

I'm currently converting a jockey skull cap into a medieval-looking helmet - nasal helm and chain coif - because even for reenactment, I refuse to ride without a crash hat.
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well I just broke down and bought one, so I'll give you all a review when it arrives!

As I told someone recently who poked fun at my "nice hat," (and to be fair, I was sporting a safety orange helmet cover that day) I just really value the information I have stored in my brain, and I'm OK with your values if you don't.

I might need a medieval helmet just for daily riding!
  • jumpthemoon
    jumpthemoon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't even get on my horse without it on my head. It's foolish not to. Even the most gentle and trained horse is still an animal with a will of its own. I see it as an investment in myself and my life.
  • jumpthemoon
    Options
    I have never ridden with one. Of course I ride western and I used to show western pleasure, trail, etc. I typically just trail ride now but never do wear a helmet. I wont let my daughter ride without one though.

I'm glad you're making your daughter wear her helmet, but you're not setting a good example for her if you don't wear one. Look at it this way, if you get hurt from not wearing one, what will happen to your daughter? Sometimes we have to think of others before ourselves. Just my 2 cents.
  • jumpthemoon
    Options
    Every single time, absolutely. And I would never let a student in my ring without one. ANYTHING can happen and my helmet has saved my life too many times.

Watch "Every Time, Every Ride." It will change your outlook.

This! Also look up Courtney King Dye (http://www.ckddressage.com) as a prime example. She was a professional dressage rider and was severely injured on the flat because of a simple fall without a helmet on.