Prednisone and you :P

Soooo what do you do when you want to loose weight but your on a drug that causes you to gain? Seriously I'm asking! If anyone has managed to avoid the weight gain, moonface, and all the other joys of this med please share your secrets!

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Sorry hon, I wasn't able to lose any weight until I got off the Prednisone. And I was on the wicked stuff for a year while they were trying out other drugs. In fact, most of the weight I need to lose now is from that time period.
  • I started a low dose prednisone while trying to get pregnant - which took 3 years - and I gained about 30-40 pounds doing it. I thought that I was "too good" to have the weight gain and didn't try to prevent it. Finally got pregnant and by the end I was on quite a bit of prednisone as my RA/AS or whatever did not go away during pregnancy. 6 weeks after I had the cutest kid in the world (I am very biased) I went back on embrel and was on a reduced predinose, couple weeks later the embrel failed miserably and I went up to high dose prednisone (40mg), then also remicade. Took a while to taper off the prednisone and gained 10 lbs. I'm still not off the prednisone (UGH!) but I managed to lose 20 lbs last fall and I'm trying for another 10-20 this fall (work does a biggest loser competition).

I basically try and eat 1,200 calories a day (and sometimes eat back my excersize calories) and go for a walk at lunchtime ~3miles in 45 mins. I am not a morning person and since the kiddos around, don't exercise much after work either. I'm trying to reduce my sugar, as I'm an addict and I'm trying out that new green coffee bean extract stuff since it's supposed to lower blood sugar and that is one of the things the prednisone raises (I was also on insuln injections for my pregnancy). Seems to be doing the trick. It has caffiene in it so I reduced the amount of caffenated soda I drink. I can't have caffiene after lunch or I am up all night.

Friend me and you can see my diary.

Remicade every 6 weeks and prednisone (2mg) atm. Right now I'm on a burst because my hand swelled up like a blown up lab glove :(
  • tjohnson777
    tjohnson777 Posts: 8 Member
    I ended up gaining the 22 lbs back that I had lost when I was on prednisone...but I was pain free for awhile. Now I'm off of it and have lost 21 lbs. But the stiffness and pain are back and I don't feel like superwoman anymore. LOL!