Best way to strength train w/o strain on knees and ankles?

Options
FredDoyle
FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
Like it says. I have some lower body injuries (knees/ankles).
Anyone have any ideas for basic beginner training taking into account those limitations?
Bench? Chair?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do chest, biceps, tricepts, shoulders, back and core.

For lower body, you might consider the machines where you sit for leg extensions for the quads and lay on your stomach for leg curls for hamstrings. Calfs might not be in the cards unless you can tippy toe okay. Leg raises with weights should be okay
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Have you asked a doctor? Different injuries will have their own problems/limitations.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Have you asked a doctor? Different injuries will have their own problems/limitations.
    I've lived with it for 30 years. I had an ankle rebuilt and I'm genetically predisposed to poor ligaments.
    My family is very arthritic. I've lived with various forms since I was a teenager. I've just pushed through.
    I still did heavy construction for 20 years so I have dropped weight and I want to avoid compression injuries
    because I can't walk for a few days after any heavy lifting that strains my knees/ankles.
    That said, since my first post I've aquired a CardioPlus bench.
    Thanks for the responses.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I guess I'm uninformed about how that works. I always heard weight lifting helped when it came to arthritis. Like Jeff said though, you could do everything upper body without much problem.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    I guess I'm uninformed about how that works. I always heard weight lifting helped when it came to arthritis. Like Jeff said though, you could do everything upper body without much problem.
    Well yes and no. There are 2 types; osteo: wear and tear/injury, and rheumatoid: inflammatory arthritis and an autoimmune disease.
    I have both due to the genetics and construction work/ old injuries, so suffice it to say, moving and stress on the joints is not always the best approach. I simply become crippled for a few days of overdoing compression type things.

Anyway, I plan to start some upper body and leg push type things very soon.
    Thanks for answering.