Best Places for Maternity Clothes

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    If anyone lives near an H&M, they have great super- trendy maternity clothes for great prices! I love that store! Otherwise, I get a lot from Old Navy and Gap.

I just looked up H&M, and there's no store anywhere even remotely close to me. (Of course when I moved *out* of Atlanta, they opened one there.) So I was looking around for about 15 minutes before I realized they don't offer online shopping. In today's day and age, really? Guess I won't be shopping there!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    My new lifesaver right now is extra long mens under shirts (the tank top kind) Maternity clothes still look too tent like on me, and some of my normal shirts make me look just fat and ill-fitted. LOL. I dress them up for work with cute skirts and cardigans and it looks surprisingly pretty nice...

Plus it was $10 for 4 of them (and they come in some pretty good colors, I'm wearing a nice fall colored burgundy right now) can't really beat that....

I would *never* have thought of that! Nor would I have thought they'd come in colors besides black and white. Where do you buy them?

Also, how many weeks are you? Just curious about that w/regard to maternity clothes looking too big. I hate that too-small-for-maternity-clothes-but-too-big-for-regular-clothes period. I'm starting to get there :frown:

18 weeks, it is super awkward. I just found mine at Wal-mart while I was halloween item shopping!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If anyone lives near an H&M, they have great super- trendy maternity clothes for great prices! I love that store! Otherwise, I get a lot from Old Navy and Gap.

I just looked up H&M, and there's no store anywhere even remotely close to me. (Of course when I moved *out* of Atlanta, they opened one there.) So I was looking around for about 15 minutes before I realized they don't offer online shopping. In today's day and age, really? Guess I won't be shopping there!

That stinks! I think that they don't offer online shopping because they are mainly a European store? I have one H&M about15 mins from me and another about 45 mins away (I am lucky).
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Ooooh, when I go to Portland for vacation I will stop by H&M, they are super cheap...
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank people for reminding me about H&M. I hadn't even thought of it as a place to go for maternity. Well, I just went and...score! The location I went to didn't have maternity, but the knitwear is so stretchy it works! I got 3 pairs of leggings, two sweater dresses, and two tops for under $100. This makes me so happy since I have less than two months to go, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on clothes (but I did want to be appropriately dressed for colder months). Yay!!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I just wanted to thank people for reminding me about H&M. I hadn't even thought of it as a place to go for maternity. Well, I just went and...score! The location I went to didn't have maternity, but the knitwear is so stretchy it works! I got 3 pairs of leggings, two sweater dresses, and two tops for under $100. This makes me so happy since I have less than two months to go, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on clothes (but I did want to be appropriately dressed for colder months). Yay!!

That's awesome, plus hopefully you can wear those postpartum, too, when your regular clothes might still be a bit small! (I just remember still wearing maternity clothes three months postpartum and NOT being happy about it...)
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options

That's awesome, plus hopefully you can wear those postpartum, too, when your regular clothes might still be a bit small! (I just remember still wearing maternity clothes three months postpartum and NOT being happy about it...)

Haha. Oh my gosh, I have every intention of my maternity clothes for at least 3 months after baby is born. I have already told my husband to prepare for it. I think it's going to take at least that long before I try to put on any pre-pregnancy clothes with a zipper/button.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    *every intention of wearing* I am on fire with the typos today.
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had some luck at Kohl's. The maternity section was small, but I had a 30% off coupon which helped me get a good deal on a few tops :)
  • RBXChas
    Options

Haha. Oh my gosh, I have every intention of my maternity clothes for at least 3 months after baby is born. I have already told my husband to prepare for it. I think it's going to take at least that long before I try to put on any pre-pregnancy clothes with a zipper/button.

Oh, yes. We cannot forget that 99% of us will not walk out of the hospital in pre-pregnancy clothes. I only know one person (I mean personally know her, as opposed to hearing stories from others) who did that, but she was 16 at the time. When she had her second child, she was 26 and assured me that she was definitely still in maternity clothes for a while afterwards! :tongue:

I definitely still wore maternity clothes for 4-5 months after my son was born, but part of that was because I had gained so much weight during my pregnancy that I was nowhere near close to wearing pre-pregnancy clothes. I did have to buy some "bridge" clothes, but with the help of MFP I was able to lose enough to get into some of my old, larger clothes before too, too long. This time I am expecting to be about 3 months in maternity clothes and/or larger, old clothes before I can think about less generous pre-pregnancy clothes!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I had some luck at Kohl's. The maternity section was small, but I had a 30% off coupon which helped me get a good deal on a few tops :)

I agree, their maternity section is small, but their deals are good. Occasionally they send me $10 off coupons with a $10 minimum purchase. I got a dress there on clearance for less than $20, so with the coupon, it was less than $10. It's work-worthy, too!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    The JC Penny in my area discontinued their maternity section. I have been relying on Kohls for my clothes. I have only been able to find one pair of jeans so far :(. I am a little leary about buying online and not knowing what something looks like in person. Plus i noticed Old Navy uses pans size and not the S-XL that most places seem to use. I wore a size 10-12 before in American Eagle jeans and have never owned Old Navy jeans so Im at a loss at to what size i should go for

I just realized I never responded about the Old Navy jeans sizing... I do hate that they do actual sizes for maternity clothes, but in general, their sizes run big compared to most retailers. I would guess compared to American Eagle (which I consider to be juniors sizing - please correct me if I'm wrong), you might need a size or two smaller. Pre-pregnancy, my Old Navy jeans were a size 4. I definitely did not wear a size 4 in any other store - definitely a size 6 in most stores and an 8 in some that ran small.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I agree on H&M, I went and checked it out and they have really cute maternity clothes. And i love the fact that some of their jeans dont have that huge belly band that goes over the stomach, they have jsut a short band. They have very cute and colorful skinny jeans :)) annnd very affordable!! I didnt buy any maternity stuff from there, I just checked it out while at the mall. I had my 2.5yr old kiddo with me and was being rushed. lol
  • RBXChas
    Options
    CRAP. Just went to JCPenney, which is where I got my good work pants last time, and they no longer carry maternity in-store. I went to Motherhood where the sale pants were ugly, and the regular price pants were too expensive. Looks like I'll be living in skirts and dresses!

I did score some comfy and inexpensive bras at JCPenney, though, and I was able to exchange a dress for the right size at Motherhood (I had purchased online, but it was too big).

No harm done, I guess, but I won't be buying nice pants for this pregnancy, I guess!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ordered the Walmart maternity clothes??? They seem to be cheap, just wondering if they are true to size???

They are cheap. Cheaply made. The elastic part of the pants rips within the 2nd time wearing it. Don't bother!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Has anyone ordered the Walmart maternity clothes??? They seem to be cheap, just wondering if they are true to size???

They are cheap. Cheaply made. The elastic part of the pants rips within the 2nd time wearing it. Don't bother!

Thank you for pointing that out about their pants. I posted positive stuff about Wal-Mart earlier, but honestly I only bought a dress there and maybe a couple of shirts.

I've determined that pants are just a whole different beast. I can't buy pants online. I tried on stuff at Target and hated all of them. It wasn't a matter of big/small, just a weird fit! Motherhood is too expensive for me. No Old Navy stores in my area have maternity departments, so I've told myself that I'm just going to have to wear skirts and dresses. Oh well!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents;

Old Navy.......
    -Very disappointed, my tank top ripped on day 1 and it wasn't even tight.
    -Jeans were hideous on me......ugh soul crushing

WalMart............
    -Cheaply made, but my skirt, danskin sweatshirt and pants are doing the job for $5 & $10 each.

Motherhood.........
    -The leggings are my favorite items from here! Love them!
    -The rest of the clothing is fine, but fades really quickly

Target........
    - Jeans equally disturbing on my booty.

A Pea in a Pod.........
    -Had a gift card and $50 off, so I searched the designer jeans sale and snagged 3 pairs....... Hudson boot cut, Joes boot cut and a Hudson skinny. Love them, soooo worth it.

Can't wait to check out H&M !
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a tummy sleeve? I'm on my third pregnancy and love my tummy sleeves from Motherhood. I had purchased some "fat" work pants for the transition period once I had my first son and wore those with a tummy sleeve throughout my entire pregnancy. I am still wearing those fat pants this pregnancy with my sleeves and I have 9 weeks to go in my last pregnancy. Way cheaper than buying maternity pants! Otherwise, I have sucked it up and shopped Gap for their longs. I refuse to buy them at full price though and only pay clearance pricing.

For those curious about ON's SML/number sizing too, I'm a solid 6/small 8 pre-pregnancy and a medium shirt wearer. For pants at ON, I wear their 8's or M's. I don't wear their pants on a normal basis either.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Have you tried a tummy sleeve? I'm on my third pregnancy and love my tummy sleeves from Motherhood. I had purchased some "fat" work pants for the transition period once I had my first son and wore those with a tummy sleeve throughout my entire pregnancy. I am still wearing those fat pants this pregnancy with my sleeves and I have 9 weeks to go in my last pregnancy. Way cheaper than buying maternity pants! Otherwise, I have sucked it up and shopped Gap for their longs. I refuse to buy them at full price though and only pay clearance pricing.

For those curious about ON's SML/number sizing too, I'm a solid 6/small 8 pre-pregnancy and a medium shirt wearer. For pants at ON, I wear their 8's or M's. I don't wear their pants on a normal basis either.

I have a belly band from my first pregnancy. I hated it with a passion, so much so that when I sold my lot of maternity clothes (they were much bigger than what I need now because I was much bigger then), I sold it!

I did have some bigger clothes from losing weight, but I find those hard to wear because they pull in on my belly when I sit :frown:
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add that the Victorias Secret Most Loved Yoga pants have worked great as maternity workout pants.

They have a band that normally you fold over.......while pregnant, just leave the band up and it covers the tummy nicely. I just went up one size - http://www.victoriassecret.com/clothing/yoga-pants-and-tops/the-most-loved-yoga-pant?ProductID=85340&CatalogueType=OLS