Want to try Vegan

Options
pstansel74
pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
After reading Rich Roll's "Finding Ultra" and watching "Forks Over Knives" I've decided I really want to try Vegan. Now please understand I don't have a moral objection to meat or dairy, and I'm not out to save the world :) I just want to make myself healthier. Anyway, I already hate fish and cheese so that is certainly no loss. I do like meat.. a lot. But I'm ok with giving it up for a while. I will miss my Chobani yogurts :( Otherwise though I already switched to almond milk for everything so that's no real hardship. I already love beans so I'm good there! But I'll be honest... I have very little taste for leafy greens. In fact they mostly taste bitter an unapealing to me. I can force myself to eat them but the key word there really is force. Great on fruits so bring those on! I really don't want to juice things... I already drink a vegan shake for breakfast and I like to eat my meals.

So with all that said, is there a good "getting started" program I can look at? I have friends who want me to try one of those 21day vegan cleanse type things but that's really not something I want, and it is darned expensive. I want to pick a date (say next Monday) and just go forward with being Vegan. I need some structure though or I know I will eat Vegan, but a very unhealthy vegan ;)

Thanks,
Paul

Replies

• carebearhere
    carebearhere Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly healthy vegan, except for salt, you can check out my diary, and others diaries for meal inspirations, it's definitely a great way to live :)
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Firstly I love the fact that you're up for veganism even if you're not doing it for moral reasons (:
    I'm the same as you- I hate leafy greens (cabbage, broccoli, spinach, kale I even don't like lettuce leaves- I mostly avoid them). I don't really know what start up programme their is, but i'd check of loads of different websites/cookbooks (vegan with a vengeance is AMAZING, but not many super healthy recipes- isa chandra the author has another book called appetite for reduction which is brilliant too. She has a website called the post punk kitchen) Check out fatfreevegan.com too. Also if you want some really cool recipes (that aren't necessarily healthy, but if you're looking to indulge a bit or for inspiration) check out The Vegan Zombie on youtube, his channel is hilarious (the concept is that he's in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and he travels from safe house to safe house cooking vegan food as meat and dairy is no longer safe to eat!)

I'm a student and I live with my boyfriend who doesn't earn a lot, so we have a ridiculously strict budget, and I generally eat very cheaply so stock up on staples- It's usually breakfast- oatmeal made with water and apricots orrr unsweetened soya yoghurt with a handful of frozen berries, mid morning snack of a banana, lunch time is usually a homemade lentil salad (brown lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, fresh chilli, parsley, sometimes chickpeas, lemon juice and some olive oil) that I can take into uni with me, or it's lentil pate on rye bread with a fresh fruit pot, then dinner is a mixture of oven roasted vegetables (I love aubergine!) sometimes with a baked sweet potato, or a homemade Japanese curry. I do love the occasional dark chocolate too (:

Probably not that helpful but thought i'd share with you how I do veganism! haha i'm pretty predictable with my food. You can probably be a lot more creative.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/index.cfm

They also have a free app for iphones .... not sure if the app is available for other phones.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great recipes where you won't even taste the dark leafy greens! You can blend a handful of spinach in with some fruit to make a smoothie in the mornings. I find that makes a great start to the day. It will turn your smoothie green but you really can't taste the spinach. One of my favorite breakfast smoothies is the Apple Jack smoothie- tastes like the cereal! Frozen banana, apple, raisins, cinnamon, spinach, and plant milk- delish! Oh She Glows has lots of great recipes. You might also want to try a tofu spinach lasagna- irresistable :)
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I made a great green smoothie this morning.

3 cups baby spinach
    1/2 peeled large cucumber
    1 cup of pineapple
    1 cup frozen mango
    1 to 1 cup watermelon
    Approximately 10 oz cold water

You could also add 1/2 green bell pepper to this.

Blend till smooth and enjoy
  • pstansel74
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm doing a ton of reading and research, I want to be mentally prepared :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    feel free to friend me and also look at my diary. ive been vegan almost 8 years and still going strong.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    welcome! to get myself started I used the Happy Herbivore Menu Plans and the Engine 2 Diet Menu plans. both have menus, recipes and shopping lists, and are on the internet. :) easy peasy

I used to not like most greens but I kept trying them and now I like them and I don't notice a bitter taste at all, where I once did. So, don't give up! One bite at a time, they will be your friends.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you are trying the lifestyle out! Once you get used to cooking this way it is so easy. Check out some food blogs, I would recomend Fat Free Vegan (after all we are on MFP here!), Vegangela and Oh She Glows (although I love the last site some of the recipes have long ingredient lists and multiple steps so just don't get too discouraged).
    I'm with you on kale, usually I only eat it in soup. I have tried using it in salads and rubbing it with the dressing, this takes away some of the bitterness. Try baby spinach, it has a nice fresh and very light flavor. I use that almost all the time, even for salads.
  • pstansel74
    Options
    I plowed through "Thrive" last night which was an awesome book, but I don't know if I can go that raw :)
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Agree with the free 21 Day Vegan Kickstart from PCM ( you can download free app or free meal plans from the website):

www.21daykickstart.org/

Also if you don't mind paying a little ($20) there is the 30 day Vegan Challenge from Colleen Patrick-Goodreau (she is a leading vegan author and chef):

www.the30dayveganchallenge.com
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegan. Add me and read my food diary anytime ! Kudos to you!
  • pstansel74
    Options
    So I ordered a vitamix (and my bank account shuddered!) and cleaned out the pantries today. The wife is going to do it with me which always helps. She was pretty vegetarian already so for her its not a big deal. Said good bye to my beloved bacon, had one last piece of pepperoni pizza last night, and will likely have some General Tso's as a going away party ;) Monday starts my 30 day Vegan test.
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • moraldd
    Options
    the one comment i can make is that your tastebuds do began to change over time and you get used to eating brown rice and vegetables, quinoa etc and can actually begin to enjoy healthy vegan foods, you just have to keep at it and give it time. If i can eat veggies and brown rice then ANYONE can get used to it after a while
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ooooo!! I'm so jealous you got a Vitamix AND a spouse who is willing to take this journey with you!

Next to all the wonderful suggestions and information from other posters, I have some questions for you where I could be of assistance in helping your new chapter too.

- Do you enjoy cooking?
    - Do you like to eat out at restaurants? I became a Farmington Valley resident about 6 months back so I could suggest some vegan-friendly options around CT! I could recommend even more suggestions if you ever travel down to NYC (I lived there for 27 years - 8 of which, I was vegan).

P.S. How did you first week of veganism go??
  • pstansel74
    Options
    So I'm 15 days in :) Honestly once I found a great cream replacement for my coffee I was all set. I probably wasn't 100% pure, I know the first week I likely missed milk byproducts in a couple things. But I have been 99.99%! I'm getting better at branching out into new things, and have a whole stack of cookbooks. Made a great potato soup in the Vitamix tonight!

Oh and I lost 9 pounds ;)
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    check out drmcdougall.com
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I second DR McDougall...I am doing his diet now.

also Check out the cookbook "Appetite for Reduction" if you havent yet.

and search on youtube for the "vegan zombie" he has some great recipes, his "no killy philly" was a hit even with my omni friends