Grain Free?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I've been wheat free for a year (except for mini pre-made yorkshire pud on sundays..lol which I take extra anti-histamines so not sneezing all day after!) I can't handle very hot oil from oven to make my own as I'm wheelchair user and have shaky hands so I'd potentially spill it all over my legs getting the oil out to put batter in!

Recently I also found I'm sneezing a lot after other grains that are not wheat for example rice krispies or oats so simple that i have for breakfast,

If I went completely grain free I don't know what I would have for breakfast. Would gluten free cereal be ok? as at minute I'm just eating regular oats and rice krispies cos there's no wheat in the actual ingredients.

I eat gluten free pasta but regular white rice and noticed I also sneeze after I had rice with dinner. As I've been low carb (processed) too though I've been mainly replacing white rice with cauliflower rice all year.

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If you went completely grain free, then breakfast cereals would be out. Being grain free means you can't eat any of the ingredients used to make foods gluten free. No rice, wheat, barley, millet, quinoa, corn, oats, etc. I've been wheat/grain free for a while now. In fact I went paleo. Breakfast was hard for me but now I consider it to be another meal like lunch or dinner so I eat what I would eat for those meals. I eat meat and veggies and some starches in the form of sweet potatoes and squash. I don't do grains, legumes, or dairy. It can be hard to adjust at first but with some careful planning, it's pretty easy.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am grain free, and the starches that I rely on are potatoes, sweet potatoes, buckwheat, and quinoa.

If you just want to try going completely gluten free, then yes, you need to eliminate the regular rice krispies and oats and go for gluten free versions. But considering you are also reacting to rice, I would consider going completely grain free (unless maybe that rice had soy sauce on it?)

Rice Krispies contain barley malt, and barley is a source of gluten. Oats tend to be rotated in the same field as wheat, so volunteer wheat can be mixed in with the oats, and they are transported in the same vehicles and processed in the same plants, so they tend to be cross contaminated with wheat.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am grain free, and the starches that I rely on are potatoes, sweet potatoes, buckwheat, and quinoa.

If you just want to try going completely gluten free, then yes, you need to eliminate the regular rice krispies and oats and go for gluten free versions. But considering you are also reacting to rice, I would consider going completely grain free (unless maybe that rice had soy sauce on it?)

Rice Krispies contain barley malt, and barley is a source of gluten. Oats tend to be rotated in the same field as wheat, so volunteer wheat can be mixed in with the oats, and they are transported in the same vehicles and processed in the same plants, so they tend to be cross contaminated with wheat.

I was going to say exactly this. Kellogs Rice krispies have wheat in them (unless you are eating the gluten free brown rice krispies) and oats are easily cross contaminated. You can buy "safe" oats though.