Running hydration vests vs. female anatomy

Options
easfahl
easfahl Posts: 567 Member
((Also posted this in Runners Unite group but not getting a lot of feedback...))

I've been a mountain biker for 10+ years and have always carried a 2+ liter hydration pack for water, snacks, tools, first-aid, etc. The extra weight never really bothered me as I like to have all my tools handy. I'm also a heavy sweater (just means my body is properly cooling itself) and am a bit of a water-holic. I also have a hiking hydration pack. It has a 3 liter bladder so my dogs can have water on the trail too even if there's not a natural water source.

Long lead in, I know. Sorry 'bout that...

Anyway, to continue... I've been running about a year and have done mainly half marathons and shorter that were well supported with water and aid stations. I'm now picking up trail running too and in longer distances. I want to wear a hydration pack so I can have my water and snacks at my finger tips, but not ON my fingers tips, so I have my hands free. (I do have a small 12oz bottle+hand strap but this keeps me from having a hand free if I fall -- which yes, sometimes happens.) I've been looking at the running specific packs as they hopefully minimize the "bounce" effect of the bladder when running. Looks like quite a few of them have nice pockets on the front for easy access too, so you don't have to take the pack off to get to your snacks, like my typical packs. I also want a fairly large capacity bladder so I can share with my dogs if they're with me. ((I know, I'm asking for way too much in one product, right?))

((I did get some feedback on some great dog packs, including Ruff Wear Singletrack.))

Here's the question... FINALLY! Being female, I worry that the "vest-style" hydration packs are not going to work very well with my... um... boobs. I want a pack that has a larger capacity with pockets on the front, fits snuggly, and doesn't bounce (have a hard enough time keeping my boobs from bouncing!) but fits properly to my chest.

Any ladies out there who have experimented with this fit issue?

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hey girl I don't have not useful knowledge on the vest ((sorry)) but here is a link to a Camelbak Lumbar Hydration pack it is like the one I use when I trail run:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/camelbak-delaney-fit-lumbar-hydration-pack~p~4814g/?filterString=s~camelbak/&colorFamily=02

For your doggies I also really like the Ruff Wear products, it took my dog a little while to get used to it but eventually the dog was able to carry the pack with no problem and even go backpacking with me. Hardest thing was to make sure each side was even weight.

Hope someone can give you some info on the vest :smile:
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nathan makes a pack for women that addresses this. I've used it for years. It's called the Intensity. You can adjust it in many ways to accommodate whatever shape you might be on any given day :tongue:

Nathan pack: http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/race-vests/intensity

I also use a Salomon S-Lab pack for longer runs. The straps are elasticized and are in a Z pattern so it kind of self adjusts to fit. I absolutely LOVE the Salomon pack (I am wearing it in my profile photo).

I used to be able to wear waist packs but lately they have been creating stomach distress. I will often wear the Nathan and carry a a handheld if I am going somewhere that I won't have much access to water (plus I drink more and can monitor how much I drink when I use a handheld).
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultimate Direction AK race vest, and I really like it. No bounce, no squishing the girls! My only complaint is that some of the small front pockets are obviously designed for gels, so they're a little small since I prefer to take more substantial food on my long runs. Full disclosure: I have pretty small boobs, so your experience with the vest might be different! Since they're kind of expensive, it'd be ideal to try one before you buy!