Suggested "Eats" while running

Options

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    A vanilla/chocolate twirl cone dipped in dark chocolate with a sprinkle of sea salt. Okay, I don't carry it with me on my long runs but I do stop off at the truck sometimes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What did people do before the little belts for holding things... Fanny packs? Was deprivation the main training/racing regimen? I'm talking old school training. Fancy new bells and whistles are great, but humans have successfully run long distances longer than we've had disposable pouches of space goo.

Old school was deprivation training including liquids.........but you weren't seeing 2:03 and 2:04 marathons being run then either.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    What did people do before the little belts for holding things... Fanny packs? Was deprivation the main training/racing regimen? I'm talking old school training. Fancy new bells and whistles are great, but humans have successfully run long distances longer than we've had disposable pouches of space goo.

Old school was deprivation training including liquids.........but you weren't seeing 2:03 and 2:04 marathons being run then either.

So is fueling long distance runs mostly helpful for people who are shooting for crazy fast times? Or is it useful for "average joes" looking to finish somewhere between a "not bad" and "before the roads open"? I've never fueled during a run, but I consider myself a very average or below runner. I'm pondering training more for (relative) speed, and wondering if this is worth it. I figure my times right now are still more based on sleep, hydration, miles, and my fitness level than what I consume on the run. Just wondering when that will no longer be the case, and how to tell?
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    My hubs is running 81/2 to 9 minutes a mile. He can run up to about 10 miles with no water or supplements whatsoever. He does not plan his dinner or anything when he's doing 10 miles or less.

If he's going to run further than that, preparations have to be considered. He has to eat high, simple carb the night before, a high simple carb breakfast, and he needs simple carbohydrates every 5 miles or so to keep his endurance strong enough to run on and on. Last long run was 21 miles and he could have gone longer. He was having the gels every 5 miles and he ran with a camelback filled with gatoraide.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My hubs is running 81/2 to 9 minutes a mile. He can run up to about 10 miles with no water or supplements whatsoever. He does not plan his dinner or anything when he's doing 10 miles or less.

If he's going to run further than that, preparations have to be considered. He has to eat high, simple carb the night before, a high simple carb breakfast, and he needs simple carbohydrates every 5 miles or so to keep his endurance strong enough to run on and on. Last long run was 21 miles and he could have gone longer. He was having the gels every 5 miles and he ran with a camelback filled with gatoraide.

And just to show the other side of the argument:

My last long run was 21 miles. I did it with no fluids and no fuel. I did 2x4miles at 7:25ish pace in the last half (MP) and the overall pace was 8:24 minute per mile. I could have gone longer.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything on training runs but during races I try to eat something at Mile 7 and then mile 14. I make homemade granola bars with bare naked granola and chocolate almond butter & tiny bit of honey .I have also tried payday candy bars. I did Gu on my 1st half marathon and I hated the sticky feeling.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options

My last long run was 21 miles. I did it with no fluids and no fuel. I did 2x4miles at 7:25ish pace in the last half (MP) and the overall pace was 8:24 minute per mile. I could have gone longer.

Sigh, I should have guessed the real answer, as usual, is "listen to your body, YMMV". I always forget that ;) Thank you guys for the examples w/times, very good to know.
  • mearlie
    Options

I think everyone is different though, and my hubs probably has not trained as long as this quote. My hubs ran out of steam when he ran 18 miles a couple weeks back, but when he ate more simple carbs and took more fuel along he made a 21 mile run with energy left over.

The reason I joined this group is to learn from those who have been doing this a long time. He's just figuring things out so take what I say about what he's doing with a grain of salt.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

So is fueling long distance runs mostly helpful for people who are shooting for crazy fast times? Or is it useful for "average joes" looking to finish somewhere between a "not bad" and "before the roads open"? I've never fueled during a run, but I consider myself a very average or below runner. I'm pondering training more for (relative) speed, and wondering if this is worth it. I figure my times right now are still more based on sleep, hydration, miles, and my fitness level than what I consume on the run. Just wondering when that will no longer be the case, and how to tell?

Depends on the distances and time you're running. For 5K and 10K races you have plenty of glycogen stored to see you through. If you're running half marathon or longer distances you'll approach glycogen depletion between 90 minutes and 2 hrs (it varies for everyone - these are just approximations) and risk bonking and that's where using sports drinks and gels comes in. Even average / slower runners (my best half is 2:14:43) stand to benefit form including on-the-run nutrition as part of the program.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Brian, that makes sense for my hubs - that's what we were thinking about that 18 mile run he did - he ran out of stored glycogen. So he did a better job of carb loading the night before, ate a high carb breakfast, and then refueled every 5 miles. The thought pattern was to give his body carbohydrates earlier on so that he didn't deplete so quickly.

The reason I'm here is to see if we have the right idea. And is refueling every 5 miles about right, or is that excessive? And do you run with water or a sports drink? Do you use a running belt?
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Brian, that makes sense for my hubs - that's what we were thinking about that 18 mile run he did - he ran out of stored glycogen. So he did a better job of carb loading the night before, ate a high carb breakfast, and then refueled every 5 miles. The thought pattern was to give his body carbohydrates earlier on so that he didn't deplete so quickly.

The reason I'm here is to see if we have the right idea. And is refueling every 5 miles about right, or is that excessive? And do you run with water or a sports drink? Do you use a running belt?

For my longer training runs (I haven't hit 18 miles yet) I have a fuel belt that has 2 x 10oz water flasks (and I usually just run with water but if it's really hot I'll use G2 for the extra sodium ) and my gel flask. The fueling schedule I usually try to maintain (and I'm still experimenting too) is the first gel about 45 minutes into to run and about every half hour after that which means on a half-marathon distance I may go through half my flask (approx 3 gels), it's largely trial and error - personally I'd prefer to err a little on more than I need than the other way around.
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    this is something that has started to interest as I'm getting into longer and longer distances, and am feeling the pain of lack of fuel on them (though I too believe in deprivation training). Usually the thought of consuming anything but water or rehydration salts turns my stomach though. Anything sweet, almost any time (even on a rest day) I can't get down - fruit is about what I can manage, and have wondered about carrying bananas . Anybody run with bananas? Seems to me it could get messy/mushy.
    You could dry bananas, need less of it because it is concentrated and they won't get mushy
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    For races, (I do half marathons), I like a belt with one bottle of water and one of Gatorade, I try to switch every other sip or so, I like the gels and usually have one half way through, but I have to practice with them for a few runs beforehand. I've also used M and Ms and pretzels. You can eat pretty much anything though.
    For training I used to bring fuel with me on longer runs, but I've stopped doing that recently. I don't like my belt that much. :-)

This is the schedule Runners World often suggests, I find I don't like eating before runs though, so its a listen to your body kinda thing. Naturally. Can't make it easy can we. Good luck with your search.

Time running: 30 to 60 min
    Before: 100–150 cal. 30 min. prerun
    During: Nothing needed
    After: 250–300 cal. within two hours

Time running: 60 to 90 min
    Before: 200–250 cal. 45–60 min. prerun
    During: 100–250 cal. per hour
    After: 300–400 cal. with 4:1 carbs-to-protein ratio within 30 minutes

Time running: 90 to 120 min
    Before: 300 cal. 60–75 min. prerun
    During: 100–250 cal. per hour
    After: 300–400 cal. with 4:1 carbs-to-protein ratio within 30 minutes
  • mearlie
    Options
    Thanks Brian and RockClimb!
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't. I only use gels for races (and a couple test training runs). I believe in deprivation training. Get the body accustomed to using the fuel it already has stored. Then, come race day, when you introduce that shot of carbs it will actually mean something to the body.

This is very true and a must if you plan to run ultras. Teaching the body to burn fuel efficiently is smart.
  • Jonathanfales
    Options
    I rarely eat anything while doing training runs but for race day I prefer a homemade Gel/Gu made with honey, blackstrap molasses and salt.

This + lemon juice & water makes up my bottle rather than Cytomax type drinks.
  • Jonathanfales
    Options
    My 2 cents and I will qualify them with...
    my half pr is 1:44:00
    my full pr is 3:45:00 (lots of hills)
    my 50k pr is 7:50:00 (poor fueling/ massive hills)

You need to worry about hydration and nutrition 2 days before a major effort (major efforts are relative to your fitness level) You need to drink and eat before its too late. If you wait till your thirsty, hungry or bonking you will not recover you will just sustain misery until you stop and load and wait and then continue (waste of time). 45 min is the max max max I would go without a bite of something. For me its...
    Jelly Belly Sports Beans if my stomach is off,
    MetRx Big Collosal Bar if my stomach is ok.
    PB&J finger sandwiches and orange slices are easiest to carry when it comes to "real" food.
    1.5 x normal scoop of Cytomax if you are a really sensitive stomach followed by a salt stick+ cap. (liquid digestion is less taxing on the system overall)

For road runs I can get by with just liquid nutrition all the way up to marathon distance.
    For trail runs (way more hills) I need to focus on nutrtion beyond the 10 mile mark but that focus starts long before the run.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    At what point are you supposed to add in fuel? I did 13.5 this morning, longest run yet. No water or food during, and felt ok. I'm definitely not fast though.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Summertime, it looks like everyone is different! I'm going to suggest to listen to your own body - my hubs learned on an 18 mile run that he has to plan for that. The furthest he's run now is 23 miles. He eats more carbs for a couple nights before a big run but the very night before he likes cheap spaghetti and bread the best. Then the morning of the run he eats about 500 cals of something very high in carbs like a candy bar. He takes gels on his run and has one about every 5 miles and he runs with a camelback full of gatoraide. When he gets home, he's sick of all the sugar but it gets him through the long distance. He drinks a lot of water when he's home. I think if he had a running belt he would probably do better with gatoraide and water but he runs with a camelback bc that's what he has.

Others on here, who are far more experienced, are saying that these long distance runs CAN be done without supplementation.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    At what point are you supposed to add in fuel? I did 13.5 this morning, longest run yet. No water or food during, and felt ok. I'm definitely not fast though.

I have yet to encounter a training run that required food, up to 22 miles. I have also done 22 miles with no water with no ill effects in mild conditions (finishing temperatures in the low 70°F range). I have taken water on runs over 15 miles when the temperatures are going to exceed about 82°F. It's nice to have, but I don't believe it is necessary to have. The human body can survive for 2 to 3 days in the desert without food or water. Surely I can make it through a 3 hour run. :smile: