How to ease the gluten reaction if you have it by mistake

Options
Doberdawn
Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
I had this happen to me this week. It was not fun. The guy preparing the food at Kroger Marketplace told me the grilled tuna was gluten free... turns out that it was not. Bummer. I bloated like a whale and looked positively preggers. Also had to take immodium.

So, I'm wondering... is there ANYTHING that y'all have tried that worked to lessen the body gas, swelling, symptoms, etc. from gluten when you accidentally eat some? It took 4 days to get back to normal. I was not a happy camper.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/b/

This won't help now...but there are apparently several companies coming out over the next few years with specialized digestive enzymes (going through FDA as they are a drug apparently) and some of them look promising for stopping a reaction if there's an accidental dose in your system. It's called Alv003 and the other one is called BL-7010. Either way, you'll want to keep an eye out for them because once they hit the market - that might be something cool to have on hand for emergencies.

I tried to find links but the most I could find were people doing things like eating broths and tons of antioxidants and even veggies. One guy suggested Charcoal tablets on one of the posts I found (that's what he does) and another person buys some sort of gluten digestion product from the health food store. No one really said they found a solution. Sucks.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to ride it out. I was accidently glutened a few weeks ago for the first time. After a day of extreme fatigue, nausea, headache, and dizziness, it passed.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://adventures-in-gluten-free-wheat-free-living.yumsugar.com/Tips-Recovering-from-Gluten-Contamination-12705923

Interestingly enough, this person seems to be doing all of the stuff I kept finding. She takes L-glutamine (heals guts - this is the claim - have no idea if it's accurate), probiotics, digestive enzymes and she apparently uses Charcoal tablets to reduce the gas and swelling.

Monica

P.S. No. This is not a medical journal - we're just trying to do some home remedies so if you're demanding citations...go away.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Tonic water.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me, Phazyme(for bloating), lots of mint tea, a heating pad on my tummy to soothe the cramps, and Nauzene chewable tabs for nausea.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ginger tea helps settle the bloat a bit for me
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to ride it out. I was accidently glutened a few weeks ago for the first time. After a day of extreme fatigue, nausea, headache, and dizziness, it passed.

^This. I also drank some ginger tea because it was on hand. Helped a little.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    I find glutamine-supplemented whey protein is soothing, at least. Some people think low-dose digestive enzymes speed healing; i can see that helping by making things easier on the ailing gut, at least.

Ginger helps me with nausea, and is supposed to have strong antiinflammarory properties, so I will drink ginger "tea": a cup of hot water with a scant teaspoon of ginger powder stirred in.,

Broth is very gentle, or chicken-rice soup. Sweet potatoes. Cooked vegetables.

I avoid cured meats, eggs, lactose, nuts, starchy stuff until I feel better. Partly, staying away from things that are irritating, partly, hoping to avoid other allergies.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope..i just .ride that bloated train to diarrhea town and hope i get there before the skin rash kicks in :laugh:

:sad:
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    acidopholus (probiotics) and lots of water.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Braggs (or any raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized) apple cider vinegar (prebiotics), some plain yogurt (probiotics), and water.

Pepto for the nausea/cramps/diarrhea train if it's really bad.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I just let it takes its course while I feel miserable.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've found that for me, once it starts there is no stopping it. Once the vomiting is done, it's not so bad, then ginger ale for a day or so... Yuck! :sick:
  • piari_Resa
    Options
    Peppermint oil (capsule form) helps me, and lots of water. I have found my digestion overall got better with taking a probiotic supplement, and since I started doing that, the reactions aren't as severe. Don't get me wrong, they still suck, but they don't seem to go on as long.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lots of water helps, so does moving. You won't feel like it, I know, but it helps move it through your system. A celiac friend told me this and it did help. Then I eat as simply as possible the next few days.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    So, do you just chug down the vinegar? (Eeew...)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    So, do you just chug down the vinegar? (Eeew...)

I have (I even used a shot glass!), but it is kind of strong and can hurt my stomach if it's empty. Mix with some water (like, a cup of water to a few tablespoons) and chug, lol. :drinker:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I find the only thing I can do is chug TONS of water so that the vomiting is a little less uncomfortable. Sometimes, if it's only a small amount of contamination, I find this actually helps a lot and I may not actually vomit.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've tried NOW Foods' Gluten Digest capsules, which contain an enzyme of some sort, but I can't say for sure if they helped or not (the instructions on the bottle say to take one before eating something you think might have gluten in it, so I think it's supposed to be more of a preventative thing than a mitigation tool). I actively avoid gluten-containing foods, so the preventive enzymes seem kind of counterproductive, and I don't really have the 5-7 days to risk losing by "testing" it - but I have taken them before going to a restaurant where I was concerned about cross-contamination for one reason or another.

I get a lot of upper respiratory/sinus problems when I get glutened, so I typically take a couple of Benadryl if I can afford to be sleepy, or chlorpheniramine if I can't. I do milk or salt swishes for the canker sores and benzocaine lozenges/ointment if they get unbearable, and Tylenol for body aches and pain (I suspect that some of my sensitivity and what pushed me over the line from being asymptomatic may have been brought on by overuse of ibuprofen when I was younger). I also do the probiotic/prebiotic thing for my tummy, and it seems to help a little bit. Nothing seems to help the brain fog and overall funk, though. It would be nice if it was as simple as taking a Lactaid pill or some other sort of magical concoction, but whatever I can do to mitigate the symptoms until it's worked its way out of my system, I'm willing to try.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So I saw this on amazon today, "Immune Balance Gluten Freeze" This is the manufacturer's site (warning there's an annoying video that autoplays sound on that site but if you click on it it will turn off the sound.) http://www.gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/Herbal-Immune-Balance/Gluten-FREEze.aspx

I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to try this out yet? I have tried to avoid gluten/dairy totally but I have still gotten sick a few times after eating out so it would be nice if this product worked for the times that I have accidental small amounts. I would rather take it as a precaution before going out to eat. I think I will try it out, but I'm mostly curious if anyone has already tried it or if there are similar products out now.