from zero to half marathon

Options
hey everyone! I'm kind of new on MFP and I'd love some advice from people who have been running longer than I have. Going to try to be succinct so I don't bore you...

I've always been "kinda fit"--played hockey and rugby in college, softball and soccer as a kid, but I got out of shape when I hurt my knee four years ago. (Party-related incident.) It took me three years to have the health insurance and wherewithal to go through PT for it, so it wasn't until March of this year that I started properly running again, and just for running--previously I ran to gain stamina for my sports, but not just for running. Well, I fell in love with it, went through C25K and running 3-4 times/week and really excited. Got up to about 3 miles/run.

In my excitement I signed up for two 5Ks and then a half marathon in February--the half was mostly to have a big goal and to trick my boyfriend into taking me back to Disneyworld. I figured (in July) that the half was far enough away that I had plenty of time to get some base miles and train properly, etc. There's a nearby 10K in October that seemed like a good halfway mark. I had a general plan of attack.

Literally one week before my first 5K I dislocated my kneecap. Totally not running-related. I was hanging out with my cats. There is literally no story. So I walked the first 5K with a friend and have been doing PT ever since. I am fiiiiinally allowed to do things again--currently only elliptical and bike, but my PT is going to watch me run next week and see how my knees sit. So soon I should be out running again. Second 5K is at the end of October (Superhero costumes!) and I don't know if I'm going to be able to fully run it but I'm not really worrying about it--my main concern now is the half.

So my new training plan:

run 3-4 times a week
on off days go to the gym and bike and whatever my PT prescribes for my knee strength and... other things?
full rest one of the weekend days (other weekend day will evolve into my long run)

timeline:
--spend October and possibly part of November recovering the training I had earlier this year, getting up to 3-4 miles per run
--mid-November start Hal Higdon's Novice I (probably familiar to you: http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program)

All while monitoring my knee carefully.

So yeah that is my revised plan and I guess my question is:
Does this seem reasonable? Is there anything else I should be thinking of? I feel like I'm good at being a beginner runner because I've done it a couple of times now, but in terms of more advanced/longer running there are a lot of things I only know in theory. And I'm a little concerned about having my first "real" race be a half marathon, obviously. I really don't know if I'll be fully ready for the 5K in October, for that to count.

OK that wasn't very succinct. Apologies for introducing myself with this massive post! :) Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing is to see how you knee responds when you start running again. Having been injured previously (although not running related) you may want to be a little more conservative approaching your training.

Having said that, you have youth on your side. Being an old geezer I wouldn't even consider trying to progress that quickly for myself.

I had a look at his training plan and there are 5K and 10K races at weeks 6 and 9 if you can schedule them; that should cover off your introduction to racing.

All I can suggest is stick with the training plan but listen to your body, there's no shame in taking longer to get to the starting line if it means getting there injury free.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm going to try for races at the right times but winter in New England probably doesn't lend to a lot of options. I'll look into it.

And I'm going to try to find the balance between taking it easy and watching the knee vs. attempting to actually be able to (mostly) run the half. I just don't know what that balance looks like exactly, you know?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, if you head north for a few hours you'll be in Ottawa - we have "The Winterman" in February with races from 5K through half-marathon distances! :happy: (Bring your warm running gear!)

Balance is always an experiment of 1, all I can suggest is start out slow and pay attention the the signals.

Have you considered looking at one of Galoway's training plans? He promotes the run with walking intervals which, at least this time around, may be a sensible way to approach things.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm going to try for races at the right times but winter in New England probably doesn't lend to a lot of options. I'll look into it.

Assuming you live in Boston....there are a few great races in the area. In December there's the Jolly Jaunt 5k(special olympics fundraiser) that starts on the common and pretty much goes down and back Comm Ave; totally flat, lots of people in holiday costume, great atmosphere. There's also the jingle bell run in Somerville, which I've never actually done, but I've heard great reviews. If you're up for a drive I know there is a new years day run in lowell, 5K and possibly a 10k as well.
    Do a search on coolrunning.com. Perhaps not as many as in the spring or fall, but still plenty of races in Dec and Jan!
  • bostongeek
    Options
    Have you considered looking at one of Galoway's training plans? He promotes the run with walking intervals which, at least this time around, may be a sensible way to approach things.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

I don't remember why I decided to use Higdon instead of Galloway. I think all the days of cross-training made it seem like I'd get in better shape and be better able to handle the race, but maybe it's too much.
    Assuming you live in Boston....there are a few great races in the area. In December there's the Jolly Jaunt 5k(special olympics fundraiser) that starts on the common and pretty much goes down and back Comm Ave; totally flat, lots of people in holiday costume, great atmosphere. There's also the jingle bell run in Somerville, which I've never actually done, but I've heard great reviews. If you're up for a drive I know there is a new years day run in lowell, 5K and possibly a 10k as well.
    Do a search on coolrunning.com. Perhaps not as many as in the spring or fall, but still plenty of races in Dec and Jan!

hm okay I'll look into it thanks! I do think it'd be helpful to run a proper race before the half.
  • bostongeek
    Options
    OR I will dislocate my kneecap again and go back to square one.

what a horrible horrible week this has turned out to be.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    OR I will dislocate my kneecap again and go back to square one.

what a horrible horrible week this has turned out to be.

Oh no! :( So sorry.