Haven't Even Had my First Class Yet

Options
Hello Crossfitters,
So i am in love with crossfit even though i havent started it yet. I am doing low carb, Atkins/ Paleo, and a lot of people doing Paleo were talking about crossfit being part of their regimen. After taking a look at some pictures and videos, I was hooked. My best friend called me one night and said that crossfit games were on TV; best believe i hopped out of bed and turned to ESPN to catch the last couple minutes. I am now currently addicted to watching the games online.
So me and the bestie decided that this is what we really want to do. Challenge is crossfit is SOOO EXPENSIVE! WTH people Im a graduate student I cant afford this $180 a month thing, but thank the lord for living social because we found a deal at a gym about 30 minutes from us and bought it.
We start next week but since I am so excited about it, I convinced the bestie to come to a free class with me (at a closer crossfit gym) tomorrow morning.
So what should I expect on this journey I'm about to go on? I know you get these battle scars, and bruises but is my safety something I should really worry about? I am a bigger girl with very little upper body strength so what happens when i physically cant do an exercise? do i skip it? will i end up having to skip a lot of exercises? are they modified? ...
I have a million questions, I guess I should just wait till i get there tomorrow.

Replies

• jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    everything can be scaled/modified for you. Because of injuries I can't do anything down on the floor, so whenever the workout includes burpees or situps or pushups, I have substitutions that work the same range of motion and work me just as hard as everyone else. It's totally do-able! I couldn't do SO MUCH when I started, and now only 6 months later I'm totally kicking *kitten* every morning :) Have fun!
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    They should scale everything to your abilities.

You could always ask about student discounts.. I think my place gives discounts for students/military/police/fire. (& a discount for 2nd/3rd/+ family members)

It's great that you found a deal to try out crossfit. How long is the trial? Keep in mind that different boxes have different "cultures"- some are more laid back while some are hardcore competitive. Use your trial to make sure that you like everyone (esp the coaches) & the culture suits you b/c you will spend a lot of time (hopefully) with those people.

drink LOTS of water & eat before your first class. :)

Have fun!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. I wasnt sure if i should eat before (scared of puking) but I will. and its a 10 class trial with the first being free. I have time to do two a week for now so it will last about 5-6 weeks.
    the fact the the culture of each 'box' is different being that I was gunna just take the classes based on their groupon and living social deals. We shall see what happens.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    I wasnt sure if i should eat before (scared of puking) but I will.

I don't think they'll try to make you puke the first day..

:)
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    you will LOVE it!! don't eat before you go and if i drink room-temp water i don't feel "pukey"
  • kpbella1128
    kpbella1128 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I had the same EXACT concerns you did when I started 2 weeks ago! LOL!! I'm almost done with my fundamentals program (8 classes learning all the basics).

Everything can and should be scaled to you. I literally have no upper body strength at all (was cardio queen). They will show you how to scale and if you need more, you can scale the scales! For example, pull ups. I cannot do even an assisted banded pull ups. So I work on ring rows till I get the strength. I can't even do single unders in a row yet due to my lack of coordination. But my coaches gave me a jump rope to bring home and suggestions to work on it to improve.

It's super scary to walk into that door, but if it's a great box, everyone will be super nice and welcoming. I love it and its the best decision I've ever made! Good luck!!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was my first Crossfit class. Learned a couple moves in warmup then we jumped right into the work out.

20 min AMRAP

10 overhead squats

10 box jumps

10 trusters

10 box jumps

10 kettle ball swings

10 box jumps

Didn’t realize how much a 20 minute workout could kill you but it did. I started to feel it at the second round. and they kept telling me to take a break when i needed it so towards the end of the second round I had to sit and take a drink. Went with the Bestie and she was tearing it up. I guess the Insanity has helped a lot with her endurance cause she just did not stop! So proud of her. Watching her made me push myself to keep going. I finished the last Box jump for my 4th round just in time. Felt very accomplished. Im proud of myself and know i can only get better

Like the gym I went to a lot but I cant afford to pay $180 a month for the gym, I’m a grad student and dont’ make enough for that. So I will use the living social deal we got for the other crossfit gym even though it is a lot further away. When that is up idk what i will do?? probably look for another living social deal.

By I can definitely see how people get addicted to this. Im in love already
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed - keep us updated on how your going!
    I finished my 12 week intro course a couple of months ago and convinced hubby to buy me a membership for my birthday - LOVING it!
    Aiming for 10 x pull ups and 1 x rope climb by Xmas - it's hard!