How are you guys doing it?

Options
TaraFTMVA
TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
So.....I am in my first trimester and I am exhausted (as we all are)! I work full time 10-7 and I cant go to the gym unless its at 6:30am or if it is at 10:30pm....I am having an awful time...I went Tues morning and havent been since because I got nauseous and havent been able to get to sleep early enough.... If I dont go to bed before 10, I feel I am depriving myself of too much sleep to get up in the morning and if I go late at night I am so exhausted I feel bad bc I know my body wants me to sleep and not work out.......so I am wondering how you guys do it? I have a 17 month old and we have to drive him to my moms every morning and pick him up so we are gone 12hrs a day....I am finding it hard to find time plus me and my hubby have to take shifts which makes it harder =/. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated! :) Idk to go at night when im exhausted or just keep trying the morning =/

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hey Tara,

I just wanted to say, at least for me, I am not "doing it." I was a teacher, but my husband and I decided I would would be a stay-at-home mom (at least for a while), so I did not return to work this September. Also, this is my first child. I have two step-sons (9 and 11), but I only see them on the weekends, and they certainly don't require me chasing after them. :-)

Also, on top of that, I don't work out very much. Mostly a workout for me is 30 minutes in the pool a few times a week, maybe one pre-natal yoga class a week, or just walking places (I live in Manhattan so I rarely drive, and I have a Siberian husky who must be walked).

If I were you, I would totally count chasing my toddler around a workout and call it a day!! :-)

Good luck!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Do you get a lunch break? I just go walk at lunch - now that its cooler I don't sweat too much and can just use baby wipes to freshen up after my walk. It's a great stress relief and way to stay active, even when you're nauseous or exhausted. Exercise doesn't have to mean gym exclusively! If you want to do other exercises, maybe you can fit them in on the weekend.

My husband works 7-7 and has struggles with fitting in exercise because he doesn't get a lunch break. He just has to use weekends and he gets up at 5 to walk/run with the dog.

Good luck! Just try not to add stress about working out - if you can do it, awesome, and if not, that's okay too. But if you set a goal of 3 days a week, that may help!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely dead tired during my st tri, and I barely worked out. I felt it was more imporant to get my rest and not let myself get run down and/or sick. When I did work out (1-2x a week if I was lucky) I definitely didn't push myself as hard. Had a great second wind in the 2nd tri, worked out fairly regularly. Now I'm 36 weeks and am back to being dead tired, plus I've had a cold for 3 weeks. I'm back to working out 1-2x a week again, and it sucks, but I just don't have the energy for anything more!

I agree with FitMama, maybe try a quick walk at lunch, or maybe you and DH could take turns with some tasks (cooking dinner, bathing your son) and go for a short walk at that time while he looks after things?
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely dead tired during my st tri, and I barely worked out. I felt it was more imporant to get my rest and not let myself get run down and/or sick. When I did work out (1-2x a week if I was lucky) I definitely didn't push myself as hard. Had a great second wind in the 2nd tri, worked out fairly regularly. Now I'm 36 weeks and am back to being dead tired, plus I've had a cold for 3 weeks. I'm back to working out 1-2x a week again, and it sucks, but I just don't have the energy for anything more!

I agree with FitMama, maybe try a quick walk at lunch, or maybe you and DH could take turns with some tasks (cooking dinner, bathing your son) and go for a short walk at that time while he looks after things?

I am hoping I will catch a break in the second trimester. I wouldnt mind not going to the gym and just doing things at home if we werent paying so much for it a month. Its a great motivator to make me go. We are going to try alternating this week and seeing what happens! I do get a lunch, but I am so hungry and I am lucky I get to eat lunch with my hubby everyday that we just enjoy the time we get together. I appreciate the feedback and will definitely try and at least go walking more during the week with my little man! I am hoping this week I can take him in the mornings :)
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i didnt workout in the first trimester. just couldnt do it. was too weak to workout , but started from 12 weeks and doing fine now
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I gave up the gym membership last month. I'll restart it at the beginning of the year, but with the kids in school and my being so tired it just wasn't worth it. I am 32 weeks now, but worked out 3x per week up until then. Now I walk or do housework.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm only walking right now. Some days I do really well, others I don't. Sometimes, I'm just way too tired to do anything. But I get exercise in when I can, even if it's just a stroll around the apartment complex.