well son's biopsy came back celiacs...

Options

Replies

• little_miss_panda
    Options
    The dr said that when they are young like him, they can outgrow it? or that his maybe very mild. she said some take it out 100% and some only remove certain items and have it still but minimally? she said as so many people don't get diagnosed till they adults, which i guess is good for us as we never new he would of had this as he really doesn't have symptoms....

No, you do not outgrow celiac disease. The only treatment is a gluten free diet for life. The dr is clearly not very well informed, which is a bit of a worry really. Kids may outgrow allergies or intolerances, but celiac is an autoimmune disease. It won't go away.

There is no such thing also as "mild celiac" - rather, symptomless, or silent, as your son's is. But that doesn't mean the damage isn't there, and if he continues to eat gluten, the damage will continue to happen. There is no "a little bit won't hurt". If he doesn't react to it and get sick, then that's good for him, because he won't have to go through the horrible diarrhoea, vomiting, cramps and joint pain experience that some of us get (it feels for me like food poisoning, because it is poison) but still, his villi are damaged, he will not be absorbing nutrients properly, and celiacs who continue to eat gluten are at greater risk of intestinal lymphoma, bowel cancer, osteoporosis, and even some neurological problems.

I know you don't want your son to suffer from being "different" - but his diet needs to go gluten free now, like right away, not gradually, so he can start healing, and so he won't be at risk of some of the health problems some of us who were diagnosed later in life have had.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    If you do choose not to go gluten free as a household, then you will have to be very careful about cross contamination. Separate utensils, you cannot share plastic or wooden utensils between gluten and gluten free cooking as small particles of gluten can leach into them. Gluten containing items would have to be in sealed containers so they cannot contaminate, and you should have a separate toaster. Just because he is not visibly sick when he has gluten does not mean it's not doing any harm. I would recommend if you are still going to allow the family to eat gluten that you do not use wheat flour, because the dust gets everywhere - stick to pre-packaged products, if you bake, do it GF for everyone.

Going GF as a family is something I would recommend, because it increases acceptance for the child. The gluten free diet is not unhealthy, unless you replace all your wheat products with the equivalent GF and base your diet around those. You have to change your way of eating when you go GF, it's not just a matter of replacing bread, pasta etc, because those products are nutrient poor, they are just starch, added fat and sugar and preservatives. Pasta probably is the best GF replacement food, as it contains less rubbish than bread or baked goods. You can have a perfectly good and inexpensive diet based on naturally gluten free foods- protein, fruit and veg, potatoes, rice, quinoa, cornmeal etc, and keep the GF substitutes as treats. My food bills went way down when I stopped buying those.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx for that info.. i do have to ask what if he is GF and the healing happens and then cross contamination happens without knowing it once in a while? Is that still better for him then knowing and doing it all the time not thinking??? i would think that for the most part his system is healing or healed and if it does happen it won't do that must damage as if not going GF or knowing you are doing cross contamination frequently? that is kind what i was meaning. We will go GF for him, we are suppose to meet with the nutritionist and then go from there.. I know NO cross contamination is best but that's not in a real world for most people, it will happen with our without you always knowing it. correct.... so i would think once in a while getting a bit of gluten would still be a HUGE difference then it all the time...
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown it takes the minimum of six weeks for the gut to heal from eating 1/16 th of a slice of bread. I'm still very ill even if I eat chips that have been cooked in a fryer that has been used to cook gluten products.

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle/the-gluten-free-diet
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My usual pancake recipe:

Buckwheat Pancakes
    Written by Grain Free Living
    This makes a thick fluffy pancake that works well as a sliced bread substitute.
    Ingredients

1/2 cup buckwheat, freshly finely ground OR buckwheat flour
    1 - 2 tblsp potato starch or arrowroot
    pinch sea salt
    1/2 tsp bi-carb / baking soda
    1/4 tsp cream of tarter
    1/2 tsp vinegar (apple cider vinegar is best) or lemon juice
    1 tsp or splash of olive oil
    water

Method

Whisk or sieve flour, starch, salt, cream of tarter and bi-carb together.
    Add enough water to make a fairly thick mixture - it should be like a thick pourable cream consistency

Add vinegar and oil, combine well

In preheated non-stick frypan, pour in enough mixture to make a round "bread slice". Cook until bubbles appear and then flip and cook other side. Cook slightly longer for "toast" so the outside is crisp.

This thicker mixture makes pancakes that taste very similar to slices of toast or bread.

Works well for sandwiches or a base for breakfast eggs or butter and jam/honey.

Convert
    This website has been developed as a community resource for those who, due to health reasons or preference, are following a grain free lifestyle. We hope you find it helpful and inspiring!
    COMMON SENSE REMINDER: The views expressed in this website are personal opinion only. We are not health practitioners. You should always check with your doctor or qualified health practitioner, and be prepared to take full responsibility for your own health, actions and choices in life.
    General Recipe Notes
    All recipes measurements are in METRIC. If you wish to convert to imperial please use the convertor tool supplied on each recipe page and use the same (either all metric or all imperial) for the whole recipe.

Some points for American readers on metric measurements are:
    1 cup is 250ml which is slightly larger than the imperial 1 cup of an 8 oz measure. 1 tblspoon is 20 ml which again is slightly larger than the imperial tablespoon measure of 15ml. In most recipes this should not make too much of a difference, especially if you exchange all metric for all imperial. Cookie recipes need accuracy however so if your cookies are not turning out (either too soft or spreading too much) the problem will most likely be the measures.
    Nearly all recipes are cooked in a moderate 180°C oven, which is 350 °F / Gas 4.

* Advertise on Grain Free Living
    * Contact
    * Find Us On Facebook
    * About "Us"

Copyright 2004-2011 Grain Free Living. All Rights Reserved.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    The muffin recipe I usually use (of course you can sub any grated or pureed fruit or veggie for the pumpkin, and change around the mix-ins and spices to come up with something totally different). My own adaptation of a non-gf recipe:

Fat Free and Vegan Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
    Makes 18 muffins
    Ingredients:

1 cup buckwheat flour
    1 cup tapioca flour
    2 tsp celyon cinnamon (this is the sweet “true” cinnamon and tastes so yummy amazing!)
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 14 oz can pumpkin puree
    2/3 cup light maple syrup (or 1/3 cup agave + 1/4-1/3 cup water)
    2/3 cup raisins/nuts/seeds/choc chips (or as much or little as you like, I love raisins in baked goods!)
    needs more liquid, a tablespoon or two for a more pourable batter

Directions:
    1. Preheat your oven to 375 Degrees F.
    2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
    3. Add the pumpkin, maple syrup, raisins and mix until combined.
    4. Spray muffin pan with non stick spray or use a silicon muffin tray.
    5. Spoon batter into cups with a tablespoon filling just below the top about 2/3 – 3/4 full.
    6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
    7. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing and placing muffins on a wire rack.
    Enjoy!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Lin needs some ideas for packed lunches, guys. Our choices tend to be:

- leftovers
    - gf sandwich/bagel
    - soup
    - corn chips and refried beans/salsa
    - Subway veggie salad (watch out for cross contamination)
    - along with fruits/veggies/potatoes to round it out

Our diet is a lot more restricted than just GF, so some of you will have some better ideas than me. Keep in mind she is in small-city Canada, so no Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc. and only limited access to name brand GF foods.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Also in small town Canada, no cool stores to shop at.

Rice cakes, rice crackers, gluten free pretzels (Safeway sells them), muffins, salad, chicken noodle soup with rice pasta, you can also buy boxed gf mac and cheese.

Be careful with lunch meat, some contains gluten, but there are safe ones too. I always use leftover chicken, turkey, roast beef/pork for my families lunch whenever possible. Either to top salads, make wraps or sandwiches. Or at home just reheated.

Does he like pizza? Bobs Redmill pizza crust is delicious.

My daughter (not gf) likes to take a muffin, a veggie, a fruit and some crackers for lunch. It doesn't have to be a sandwich etc to make a meal.
  • momtokgo
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget rice tortillas if he likes wraps. The texture is a bit different though. And hard taco shells if he likes tacos at dinner. They are corn. And delicious.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    my son had one 2 week phase of a tummy ache daily with a headache. that was it for 8 months. then again in Aug he has the same for 2 weeks on and off. I took him to the dr b/c of his headaches.

There are lots of great ways to reduce gluten in your household. We grill a lot at our house and everyone loves grilled food. As for no symptoms, I'd say headaches and stomach aches are symptoms. I don't have Celiac's (wheat allergy instead) but I can tell you that my headaches from my wheat allergy have nearly vanished. I used to get them once a week and was miserable as they'd turn into sinus headaches and boy were they annoying. Also, he may have other symptoms and you're not aware of them. Brain fog..bloating...tiredness..all sorts of other symptoms appear with gluten intolerance. I have friends who have Celiac's and trust me - the symptoms can get worse and worse.

As for making him feel like he's standing out, you can adjust for that. I know I found a cool recipe for a gluten free angel food cake. You could always prepare small cupcakes and ask the mom if it's ok to bring extras so it'll be part of the snacking table. There are also things like gluten free chocolate chip cookies you could make and donate to the party. Heck, donate a huge fruit salad. I bet the kids will gravitate toward it. I think kids do like what's healthy for them. I've been eating Rice Works Chips for a snack and boy are they good. As long as you supply foods that are comparable...he'll be happy.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    Cold roast chicken drumsticks, with some cut up veggie sticks and ranch dip (I think we call it sour cream and chive over here)

Gluten free pitta breads with turkey/ham/cheese/salad, whatever fillings are his favourite.

Rice cakes or GF crackers with cheese or hummus

"Meat wraps" where you use a slice of ham or turkey (check its gluten free before buying) to wrap around a cheese stick and some sliced veggies, shredded carrot, sliced cucumber, whatever, you can add a bit of mayo or something like that and secure them with a cocktail stick.

Why not try online shopping? I use goodnessdirect, which is an online wholefood retailer in the UK, but I'm sure there would be a Canadian equivalent type thing. It can be cheaper, as you can buy bigger packs of things like gluten free flour. There is also a brand called Amys Kitchen, which is American I think and they do gluten free ready meals, stuff like bean and cheese burritos, mac and cheese, enchiladas, some of them are really good.

Get on to gluten free blogs for recipe ideas - Gluten Free Goddess has some great recipes, also the Primal Kitchen, she has great ideas for lunches where you don't need to be able to access the GF substitutes. I don't know if Canada has the equivalent of the Coeliac UK charity, but join it if you have one, and you will get recipes, advice and support for your son's new lifestyle.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I make my son's lunch EVERY day. He's extremely picky, and it makes it hard. He's also dairy free, so its even more restricted, plus we're allergic to oats and buckwheat, which just makes it even more fun!
    It's time to literally think outside the box. Fresh fruit, fresh veggies, meat, rice, there's a plethora of gluten free flours out there. He won't lose vitamins from not eating bread - scoff at those people who tell you that! You know why wheat bread has *so many vitamins*?? It's because the companies PUT THEM THERE because the majority of people don't eat enough fruits and veggies to get them elsewhere. Seriously. If you're that concerned, give him a multi-vitamin.

For one, lose the bread. Maybe once or twice or week make a sandwich (Udi's is our favorite). OH, and remember, if not everyone is GF - you need separate peanut butter, butter, anything that's in a jar that you have to scoop out? Have a separate one. You might not notice damage from cross contamination, but you better believe that its there. And it WILL hurt in the long run. You have to think of long term effects here. He's not going to be a kid forever, and isn't a goal as a parent to make sure that our kids are healthy, and become healthy adults? Isn't that why we're on this site??

OK, so here's some ideas:
    2 Hard boiled eggs
    String cheese
    Carrot sticks
    Celery with PB (or Sunflower seed butter)
    Ham and cheese roll ups (Just lunch meat rolled with cheese)
    Leftovers from dinner
    Soups, Stews in a thermos
    Lettuce wraps
    corn tortillas
    Sometimes I make little pizzas on the tortillas, they don't turn out too bad!

For birthday parties (at houses or at school) I make him a special cupcake. I taught myself how to decorate them and they are AWESOME.

You CAN make anything gf. It just take a little imagination. I wish I could post a pic of the kids' cake that I made (Perry the Platypus! This year it was the Avengers!). There are SO many foods that are naturally GF.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Oh, rice cakes. We got these a lot before I had to go grain free. Topped with peanut butter and bananas. Mmmmm.

Also in small town Canada, no cool stores to shop at.

Rice cakes, rice crackers, gluten free pretzels (Safeway sells them), muffins, salad, chicken noodle soup with rice pasta, you can also buy boxed gf mac and cheese.

Be careful with lunch meat, some contains gluten, but there are safe ones too. I always use leftover chicken, turkey, roast beef/pork for my families lunch whenever possible. Either to top salads, make wraps or sandwiches. Or at home just reheated.

Does he like pizza? Bobs Redmill pizza crust is delicious.

My daughter (not gf) likes to take a muffin, a veggie, a fruit and some crackers for lunch. It doesn't have to be a sandwich etc to make a meal.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Oh, and don't forget rice tortillas if he likes wraps. The texture is a bit different though. And hard taco shells if he likes tacos at dinner. They are corn. And delicious.

rice tortillas? never heard of them or seen them....
  • momtokgo
    Options
    Rice wraps? I'm not totally sure what to call them actually. Just like a wheat tortillas but made of rice. The only place I've seen them here are Safeway in the aisle with the Asian foods. The soysauce, rice noodles etc.
  • lin7604
    Options
    I make my son's lunch EVERY day. He's extremely picky, and it makes it hard. He's also dairy free, so its even more restricted, plus we're allergic to oats and buckwheat, which just makes it even more fun!
    It's time to literally think outside the box. Fresh fruit, fresh veggies, meat, rice, there's a plethora of gluten free flours out there. He won't lose vitamins from not eating bread - scoff at those people who tell you that! You know why wheat bread has *so many vitamins*?? It's because the companies PUT THEM THERE because the majority of people don't eat enough fruits and veggies to get them elsewhere. Seriously. If you're that concerned, give him a multi-vitamin.

For one, lose the bread. Maybe once or twice or week make a sandwich (Udi's is our favorite). OH, and remember, if not everyone is GF - you need separate peanut butter, butter, anything that's in a jar that you have to scoop out? Have a separate one. You might not notice damage from cross contamination, but you better believe that its there. And it WILL hurt in the long run. You have to think of long term effects here. He's not going to be a kid forever, and isn't a goal as a parent to make sure that our kids are healthy, and become healthy adults? Isn't that why we're on this site??

OK, so here's some ideas:
    2 Hard boiled eggs
    String cheese
    Carrot sticks
    Celery with PB (or Sunflower seed butter)
    Ham and cheese roll ups (Just lunch meat rolled with cheese)
    Leftovers from dinner
    Soups, Stews in a thermos
    Lettuce wraps
    corn tortillas
    Sometimes I make little pizzas on the tortillas, they don't turn out too bad!

For birthday parties (at houses or at school) I make him a special cupcake. I taught myself how to decorate them and they are AWESOME.

You CAN make anything gf. It just take a little imagination. I wish I could post a pic of the kids' cake that I made (Perry the Platypus! This year it was the Avengers!). There are SO many foods that are naturally GF.

thanks for all thos esuggestions. hopefull yone day he will eat half of what you posted! he won't eat eggs when he was a baby he had a egg allergy and out grew it at age 2, so it was hard to get him eating it again as he knew he couldn't have it... still to this day he still won't eat eggs at all. He won't eat meat besides chicken and the odd time hamburger but not a hamburger,lol he won't eat celery or most veggies only corn and the odd time carrots...won't touch stew or anythign liek that. soup will work but can't do that daily... i haven't see GF pita bread, begals, etc yet?
  • lin7604
    Options
    Rice wraps? I'm not totally sure what to call them actually. Just like a wheat tortillas but made of rice. The only place I've seen them here are Safeway in the aisle with the Asian foods. The soysauce, rice noodles etc.
    won ton wrappers or egg roll wrappers?
  • momtokgo
    Options
    Nope, thick like a tortilla. Made of brown rice. My mom makes hers herself.

And if you can't find the gluten free bagels etc, check the freezer section. That's where ours are
  • lin7604
    Options
    any brand in specific that is good for begals? I love safeway or sobeys bakery ones. anything to compare to that?

now a Q on cross contamination? what if it happens or happens and you don't knwo it. Even if you are GF you can't control everything like at other places, other peoples houses, etc.... so i know it will still do damage but if he is GF and does get contamination once in a while is he still going to be ok? The reason i am asking is i know he doesn't get many symptoms now and what if he never does, we may not know he was contaminated, right... so i know he will be healing being GF but how much damage will happen if he gets contaminated... I really worry about when he's sleeping over at his grand parents as they arer iggnorant about this and think it's nonsense in some sense.... i do believe it's from that side of the family and i think even if they try he will get contaminated b/c they arn't " careful" enough...
  • momtokgo
    Options
    He'll be fine. If there is no reaction then the damage will be done, but it will heal without making a difference in his life at all. That's the good thing about celiacs, the damage does heal.