Saturday Oct. 8th 10K-HELP!

Options
Hi All,

So, to start off my little story... I sprained my ankle earlier this year and it kind of paused my running because it was a pretty bad sprain. After that (about 3 months later), I did a 10K and kicked it. I mean, i did really good and accomplished all of my pre-race goals. I did this 10K without major training (meaning I never actually trained at that distance, I was doing about 2-3 miles on an average day).

anywho, we'll get to the point here... I signed up for my second 10K, but this time I literally have not done any serious running all summer because of my hectic work/personal schedule.. Does anyone have any good goals or advice I can take with me this coming weekend? It makes me nervous because a lot of the people I will be racing against are people I work with here at school and stuff... so it would be awkward to fail epically. haha :)

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• danimal5867
    Options
    I still haven't ran in any actual races, but I regularly 10K in my daily exercise. One important thing to remember is to start slow. My goal every time I run is to do reverse splits. My best mile time is 8:49 but I usually start my running at about a 10:30 pace. The idea is to keep picking up a little more speed with each mile. For example tonight I ran just 3.5 miles but my splits were 10:35; 9:33; and 9:02. The goal in any run is to finish strong. If you start too fast you'll find yourself dragging in that last mile.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I still haven't ran in any actual races, but I regularly 10K in my daily exercise. One important thing to remember is to start slow. My goal every time I run is to do reverse splits. My best mile time is 8:49 but I usually start my running at about a 10:30 pace. The idea is to keep picking up a little more speed with each mile. For example tonight I ran just 3.5 miles but my splits were 10:35; 9:33; and 9:02. The goal in any run is to finish strong. If you start too fast you'll find yourself dragging in that last mile.

Thank you so much for responding. Yeah, I like to do that when i'm running on my own, but man when I run with my Lacrosse team we start off so fast, and I am completely dead by the end. I'm a very slow runner, so it's tough for me. When I did my 10K in April, the first mile was 12:09, the second was 11:42, third was 11:16, Fourth was 11:49 (huuuuuge hill), Fifth 11:09, and then it didn't calculate the rest that would make sense.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Just go out and run it for fun. Find somebody to chit chat with. Don't worry about your time as you haven't done any training for it. Running is supposed to be fun.