happy october!

Options
chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
it's been crazy, but i'm back with a vengeance! i hope this finds everyone well and hanging on the bandwagon with more than two fingers - like i have been for the last forever! here's to hauling some *kitten*!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm on the bandwagon, that's for sure. But the legions of sugary candies and sodas are running alongside me telling me of the lovely land of sugar. I'm so tempted. I just want to dive into a pool filled with reeses sugary peanut butter
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm on the bandwagon, that's for sure. But the legions of sugary candies and sodas are running alongside me telling me of the lovely land of sugar. I'm so tempted. I just want to dive into a pool filled with reeses sugary peanut butter

Funny, the home brews and microbrews are what are running along side my bandwagon begging me to consume them. The sugar is chasing my husbands bandwagon (which also has beer following it as well)

I am trying realllllllly hard to only have 1-2 beers a week at this point or none.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I am good at managing sugar but if I let myself have beer or wine, even when it fits my calories, I just don't seem to do well controlling my overall intake. Probably because it lowers my inhibitions against eating more. So I really miss it but I need to cut waaaay back down on drinks.

What else ladies? Exercise?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm not very focused on exercise right now. I have most time set aside for food prep and studying. I have been eating really well the past week and I'm very proud of that. I want to keep that going. I need to study way more because I am required to get 90% or above in all my classes (need a 3.8gpa) to keep my money. And since I already spent it... I really need these grades haha :)
  • vendygirl
    Options
    I am still getting in 3xs a week, even with vacation last week!

I am pondering if I am going to bother with the gym Friday as I am running the Color Run saturday Morning (5k) and then going to Yoga on Sunday with a friend. Think those two will make up for my Friday skipping of the gym.

I think if I try the class that is loosely based on crossfit I will only do it once a week. I don't really like the second trainer that teaches it. She just doesn't seem very engaged in her students. The other guy is much more engaging.

My husband has also decided he wants to attempt working out so we are going to start slow with a trainer one every couple of weeks so he can get familiar with the gym and the equipment etc. Then move on to lifting.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Happy fall everyone! I'm still trying to lose those 5 lbs. that I gained in August. I've been gaining and losing the same 2 lbs. for weeks now. I've been doing pretty well with exercise and eating -- with the exception of a cheese tasting at a goat farm last Sunday. I love me some goat cheese, and I overindulged a bit! It could be way worse, considering the fact that I'm tempted on a daily basis with free goodies at my school. Today our break room had: brownies, spinach dip in a bread bowl with crackers, chocolate covered almonds, oodles of candy, cake, peanuts, 5 different kinds of potato chips, and cheese, and I managed to walk away having eaten only 1 cracker, a bit of dip, a few of the chocolate covered almonds, and 4 potato chips. Sometimes I feel like an alcoholic who works in a bar!

The weight lifting is going pretty well. I get impatient sometimes. It seems like I should be stronger, my belly should be flatter, I should have more definition, etc. by now with all of the hard work I've put in for the last 6 months, but my husband/trainer assures me that I'm making good progress and I can actually see my triceps for the first time ever.

Vendy, good luck with the Color Run! Sarah, good luck with school -- I know you'll make the grades you need. Tameko and Vendy, I'm with ya on the beer temptation, especially this time of year. I love all of those pumpkin and fall ales. :drinker:
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    hey, everyone! yeah, so kickass mindset totally busted with a bout of sinus infection madness, but i finally went to the doctor (meh) and the meds are kicking in, so i'm back at it. again. having *so* much fun with my 100 pound punching bag - best workout/anger management ever! can't remember if i mentioned the hot pink boxing gloves or not. so much fun!

happy friday, everyone!
  • vendygirl
    Options
    Okay I am frustrated again. Seriously why can't I drop any weight? I have been pushing the same damn 3-5lbs around for going on a year. I work out 2-4 times a week and I don't eat junk all the time. Seriously what gives? I try to ignore the number on the scale as much as possible but I just can't seem to drop much. I feel stronger yes but I KNOW I can drop down into 180s and not lose muscle. I have done it before and I don't feel that I am drastically doing that much different. If I eat less than 1500 I turn into a cranky ***** which no one wants, especially my poor husband.

I have cut back on my beer, we have cut back on eating out and it isn't like I skip meals. Sigh. okay rant over.

Other than the above I am doing well.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    My mindset is in a better place. I have realized I have had progress, just very slow. Working on figuring out lifting and other forms of cardio that do not involve running or high impact on my foot, due to the new heel spur I seemed to have developed.
  • tameko2
    Options
    My mindset is in a better place. I have realized I have had progress, just very slow. Working on figuring out lifting and other forms of cardio that do not involve running or high impact on my foot, due to the new heel spur I seemed to have developed.

Thats good - the mindset I mean, not the heel spur (eek)

So - I don't know really what advice to give you. I've also been totally stuck, weight wise, for a year. I'm seeing very slow overall progress but I'm also much closer to goal than you do I think you'd be able to break through 180 at least. Do you keep really good track of what you eat and drink (even on cheat days/meals)? Do you do a set goal every day for cals or a base + exercise cals?
  • vendygirl
    Options

Thats good - the mindset I mean, not the heel spur (eek)

So - I don't know really what advice to give you. I've also been totally stuck, weight wise, for a year. I'm seeing very slow overall progress but I'm also much closer to goal than you do I think you'd be able to break through 180 at least. Do you keep really good track of what you eat and drink (even on cheat days/meals)? Do you do a set goal every day for cals or a base + exercise cals?

Other than last weekend (which was filled with beer) I am keeping track of food and drink even on cheat days. I am wondering if I really just need to restrict my diet for a month and then slowly start adding back in food but really I don't know what I eat that is so bad that I can't seem to drop a little bit of weight.

As for calories I try to eat to my goal for the day (what MFP has set but I adjusted the macros) and if I exercise I eat back the calories if I am hungry. I am pondering going to the doctor and asking for a bit of advice. (I saw a few pictures from vacation and I am rounder than my mind thinks I am. Sigh)

I'll break through this annoying stage, one day.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I just saw pics from the wedding I attended and I am also way bigger than I thought. Sigh. I think doctors are kind of useless for weightless honestly. Aside from maybe a thyroid issue diagnosis. Have you had that tested? You already eat pretty low cal.

Things I would think are - try eating maintenance for 6-8 weeks. Try cutting one of the major food irritants first and just try that for a while. I think dairy is the most common. Try changing your eating patterns - more small meals or fewer big meals.

I would probably try the increased cals first. Actually right now I'm trying a higher cals and higher protein approach.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    I just saw pics from the wedding I attended and I am also way bigger than I thought. Sigh. I think doctors are kind of useless for weightless honestly. Aside from maybe a thyroid issue diagnosis. Have you had that tested? You already eat pretty low cal.

Things I would think are - try eating maintenance for 6-8 weeks. Try cutting one of the major food irritants first and just try that for a while. I think dairy is the most common. Try changing your eating patterns - more small meals or fewer big meals.

I would probably try the increased cals first. Actually right now I'm trying a higher cals and higher protein approach.

I thought maybe seeing what the doc could recommend. Granted if they say less cals then I take in I might back hand them. LOL I had blood work last year and all was normal.

The only diary I really eat is my greek yogurt and cheese. Haven't had much cheese lately. My stomach is never upset so not sure if that is it but then again who knows. I am also trying to get higher protein in but having a rough time getting all the protein in.
    The smaller meals might be a better route for me.

Of course now it is the time of year where all my favorite dishes are coming out for the holidays (pumpkin pie nom nom nom). Evil end of the year.
  • tameko2
    Options

I thought maybe seeing what the doc could recommend. Granted if they say less cals then I take in I might back hand them. LOL I had blood work last year and all was normal.

The only diary I really eat is my greek yogurt and cheese. Haven't had much cheese lately. My stomach is never upset so not sure if that is it but then again who knows. I am also trying to get higher protein in but having a rough time getting all the protein in.
    The smaller meals might be a better route for me.

Of course now it is the time of year where all my favorite dishes are coming out for the holidays (pumpkin pie nom nom nom). Evil end of the year.

It seems like all my friends who have tried a doctor or nutritionist for weight loss advice come away with something along the lines of: "No more than 1200/1500 calories" "low sodium" "high fiber" "low saturated fat" "limit carbs" "2 servings of veggies at every meal" etc. Maybe you will get lucky and talk to someone good though. Otherwise I'd say, try doing maintenance for a little while. Or maintenance - 10% (for possible error).

I am flat out lactose intolerant and honestly, the worst it does to me is make me gassy and bloated - I mean, I feel better if I avoid it but I don't really find that it helps or hinders long term weight loss for me. I've gone through periods of eating it and avoiding it and other than greatly reduced bloat (which, heck, is very nice) it doesn't seem to do much. I'm also a little bit likely to bloat when I eat wheat - not nearly as bad though. I'm skeptical of the idea that somehow a food intolerance will keep someone fat if they are counting calories. I could see a food intolerance, or a disease like celiacs, leading to overeating because your body is trying to get enough nutrients though. (but hey, I am not a doctor).

I've started doing a protein scoop in the morning (like at 9-10) and that seems to have helped me dial down on lunch, without me having to deal with my general dislike of eating in the morning. Trutein and Iso-ology actually taste very good in just water (which I imagine is why they are so pricy). I didn't like my old powder so I got some samples of the trutein and was pleasantly surprised. Also it helps me keep my protein up a bit.
  • basschick
    Options
    From reading the posts on the weight loss boards, I've gathered that the reason many people plateau is because they either a.) are eating too few calories (eating under their BMR) which will slow your metabolism, b.) are taking too many "cheat days" (some people think "Hey, I worked hard all week I deserve to treat myself by splurging all weekend long, c.) are overestimating how much they eat (you have to weight/measure your food -- I don't care how good you are at estimating portions) or overestimating how much they burn (you have to use an accurate HRM) c.) have an undiagnosed medical condition like hypothyroidism or polycystic ovary syndrome which can make weight loss very, very difficult.

I'm certainly no nutritionist or exercise physiologist, but I know what worked for me. I lost a pound a week for 10 months straight, for a total of 45 lbs., and then lost an additional 8 in the 1st few months of maintenance.

I used a heart rate monitor during all of my workouts. I would subtract the number of minutes of the workout from the total number of calories displayed on my HRM watch. For example, if the HRM said I burned 400 calories doing 60 minutes of aerobics, I would log that as 340 calories on MFP. Then I would eat back ALL of my exercise calories. I can't overstate how important this is. For the most part, only people who are very morbidly obese can eat below their BMR, under a doctor's supervision at the beginning, and still lose weight. I very strictly followed MFP's guidelines for calorie intake based on my current weight. I actually didn't drop back to 1200 net calories until I was about 10 lbs. from my goal weight. I would allow myself one cheat day per week, where I would go 200-400 calories over. I would also make sure that I got within 10 grams of my protein goal every day. That's it! Hope that helps.
  • vendygirl
    Options
    October is almost over and I haven't lost a pound however I have mastered the 60 minutes of plank in 30 days. As of today my total minutes of plank is 73 minutes! If I only do the 2 minutes per day I will have a total of 77 minutes for the month of October! I call that a victory! :D

I am focusing on strength training and will be adding in bits and pieces. I realllllly want to try the stronglift 5x5 but am going to wait and see. The dead lifting really freaks me out with my bad low back. I will work with my trainer on that part. A friend of mine (who looked at the Sheet Tameko worked up) stated that if I start that program I should spend several weeks/month just using the bar alone.

So I guess I am making my goal for November to lift more. I think Cardio is getting overrated for me. I'll keep hitting up the rowing machine and elliptical every once and awhile to keep my body guessing.

The next two months are the hardest month of the year food wise for me since we are going to be in full holiday blast. Thanksgiving is the one I really have to watch because I could eat pumpkin pie every day all day for the month of November.
  • basschick
    Options
    October is almost over and I haven't lost a pound however I have mastered the 60 minutes of plank in 30 days. As of today my total minutes of plank is 73 minutes! If I only do the 2 minutes per day I will have a total of 77 minutes for the month of October! I call that a victory! :D

I am focusing on strength training and will be adding in bits and pieces. I realllllly want to try the stronglift 5x5 but am going to wait and see. The dead lifting really freaks me out with my bad low back. I will work with my trainer on that part. A friend of mine (who looked at the Sheet Tameko worked up) stated that if I start that program I should spend several weeks/month just using the bar alone.

So I guess I am making my goal for November to lift more. I think Cardio is getting overrated for me. I'll keep hitting up the rowing machine and elliptical every once and awhile to keep my body guessing.

The next two months are the hardest month of the year food wise for me since we are going to be in full holiday blast. Thanksgiving is the one I really have to watch because I could eat pumpkin pie every day all day for the month of November.

Congrats on your plank victory! How does that work? Do you hold a plank for 2 minutes and do that daily? I've finally worked up to where I can hold one for a minute and a half. I do 3 sets with rest breaks in between. They really are the best ab exercise and the only one I've done where I can actually see results. Good luck with your dead lifting. Lifting the bar alone will help you to get your form down so when you add weight plates, you're less likely to injure your back. I'm with ya on the pumpkin pie -- I could eat it every day all year long -- and, in fact, usually eat a whole pie on Thanksgiving day!
  • chanstriste13
    Options

Congrats on your plank victory! How does that work? Do you hold a plank for 2 minutes and do that daily? I've finally worked up to where I can hold one for a minute and a half. I do 3 sets with rest breaks in between. They really are the best ab exercise and the only one I've done where I can actually see results. Good luck with your dead lifting. Lifting the bar alone will help you to get your form down so when you add weight plates, you're less likely to injure your back. I'm with ya on the pumpkin pie -- I could eat it every day all year long -- and, in fact, usually eat a whole pie on Thanksgiving day!

plank question: do you hold on your hands or your forearms?
  • basschick
    Options

plank question: do you hold on your hands or your forearms?

I hold on my forearms.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I do either forearms or hands depending on how I feel - forearms if my arms /shoulders are tired, hands if they are not. I prefer hands but when your shoulders are tired its just SO much harder that way.