Week 4 (10/03 - 10/09) Mini Challenges

Options
Wow…. I can’t believe it’s already been 3 weeks since we all started this 10 Week Trim Challenge. Seeing responses to the challenges and the successes entered into the weigh-in spreadsheet is so encouraging, it’s what keeps me going day in and day out. So a HUGE, and heartfelt thank you to each and every one of you.

Okay, enough of the gushy stuff. Let’s get down to business… Let’s see… we’ve done sit-ups, jumping jacks, and push-ups. I thought, let’s make the exercise challenge this week a free for all, with the goal in mind to burn at least 300 calories a day. Pick your poison of how to fire those calories up just be sure to burn at least that every day during the coming week.

I’ve been pondering for a couple days what we could do for this week’s food challenge. One thing that came to mind (to which I almost instantly regretted) was to pick one of your temptations, be it chocolate, wine, cake, ice cream, chips, or whatever, and do your best to do without it for a week. Post what it is you're challenging yourself to do without and let us know how it goes.

So there you have it. Again and as always, take on one, take on both, take on neither, it’s up to you. Make this challenge work for you.

Thanks everyone and have a wonderful week!

Edited to add... if you have any ideas for our weekly food and/or exercise mini challenges, I'm all ears so please PM me. Thanks!

Replies

• lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am going to try NO alcohol...woohoo
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Ooo that's a good one. I'm thinking about giving up any wine for the week :(

(Notice I haven't committed to it yet :)
  • lenniebus
    Options
    LOL...I was careful to put "try"--I have a lovely bottle I haven't finished...
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options

Ooo that's a good one. I'm thinking about giving up any wine for the week :(

(Notice I haven't committed to it yet :)

I remember giving up wine once. Good luck to you both :)

For myself I'll focus on adding in instead of cutting out. Something that's been great for me in the past is making sure that I add in fruits or vegetables *every* time I eat... if I'm eating anything (any meals, any snack, any time food is entering my mouth), it has to be a fruit or vegetable, or include a fruit or vegetable. I've gotten out of that habit and have wanted to get back into it, so now is as good a time as any!
  • brandi_69
    brandi_69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i think my poison is already picked with doing Tapout XT....man it is rough sometimes...as for the food challenge idk what to give up...(most everyone is telling me im not eating enough....:/
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    I'm giving up red meats this week. One of my favorite things to eat is cheese burgers.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    not sure what to give up yet....I just gave up coffee so I'm not going to stress too much about anything else.lol. like the idea of making sure every time I eat there's a fruit or veggie involved. As for the burning 300.....I think I have that covered with Insanity! Not sure who I hate more, Shaun T or Jillian Michaels.lol.
  • bfonju
    bfonju Posts: 20
    Options
    I give up butter, red meat, and bakery for the next one week. Yehhhhhhh me but one hard one though.

Brenda
  • lenniebus
    Options
    I just tried this recipe last night...and it is SUPER tasty and pretty healthy. Definitely helped my pumpkin product cravings in a better way :)!

Pumpkin Cupcakes (no frosting)
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 84.2 • Fat: 0.8 g • Protein: 0.6 g • Carb: 18.5 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 9.9 g
    Sodium: 140.9 mg

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Frosting
    Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 121.1 • Fat: 2.8 g • Protein: 1.4 g • Carb: 23.2 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Sugar: 13.9 g
    Sodium: 142.3 mg

Ingredients:

18.25 oz Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla Super Moist Cake Mix*
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
    1 cup water
    For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese (do not use fat free)
    1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    5 tbsp packed brown sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.

Combine cake mix and pumpkin spice in a large bowl. Add pumpkin puree and water, mix about 2 minutes.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

For the frosting, combine the cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar until smooth. You can use a spatula to ice the cupcakes or pipe them which may require making more frosting.

Makes 24
  • lkherna
    lkherna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For this week I will give up breads and pasta's...
    For burning 300 calories that should be easy! I will add in 10 pushups a night though since I am pretty bad about those!
  • lturmanx2
    lturmanx2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read this and said "OH BOY!" But no more cookies (whatever cookies they may be) this week. Not a one!! Shooting to knock 300 calories...everyday...challenge accepted.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Since you said one: i had to choose between my cool ranch doritos with lunch or mid-afternoon chocolate. Doritos lost out....chocolate will always triumph. Mmmmm...maybe I should have chosen the chocolate since I am not losing any weight. Rematch tomorrow!!
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ok, this week I will try to stay away from my evening chocolate snack.... I already gave up bread and pasta...
  • bfonju
    bfonju Posts: 20
    Options
    Yehhhh me- did not have butter, bakery nor red meat today

Burned at least 300 calories

Brenda
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ok, My check in 10/3: I had no chocolate. I burned 786 calories (Circuit Training). Today I plan to just get some cardio in.
  • lkherna
    lkherna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So last night we got home late from soccer practice and the kids wanted Chef Boyardee raviolis... this "no pasta/bread" thing sucks! I wanted to steal a bit so bad! I didn't though so I am pretty proud of my will power!
  • kristilynne84
    Options
    Oh my. I am behind on everything here...lots going on with life, very challenging week at work last week, and got some terrible news yesterday.

Buuut I NEED to pick myself back up and by grace start again!

So, for this challenge I will not eat out this week. The only exception would be if I am going out to eat with a friend as a social thing--so basically eliminating fast food. I need to get better at this--I think it's my biggest downfall.....

I didn't eat out at all yesterday so I will count it starting as then. So, one day down, 6 to go!!

It's good to be back on here again.....
  • brandi_69
    brandi_69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just tried this recipe last night...and it is SUPER tasty and pretty healthy. Definitely helped my pumpkin product cravings in a better way :)!

Pumpkin Cupcakes (no frosting)
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 84.2 • Fat: 0.8 g • Protein: 0.6 g • Carb: 18.5 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 9.9 g
    Sodium: 140.9 mg

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Frosting
    Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 121.1 • Fat: 2.8 g • Protein: 1.4 g • Carb: 23.2 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Sugar: 13.9 g
    Sodium: 142.3 mg

Ingredients:

18.25 oz Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla Super Moist Cake Mix*
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
    1 cup water
    For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese (do not use fat free)
    1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    5 tbsp packed brown sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.

Combine cake mix and pumpkin spice in a large bowl. Add pumpkin puree and water, mix about 2 minutes.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

For the frosting, combine the cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar until smooth. You can use a spatula to ice the cupcakes or pipe them which may require making more frosting.

Makes 24

I snuck these in at a work carry in a few weeks ago...there were none left....and no one realized that they were low calorie...:glasses:
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    As bad as I want to, I haven't had a cheese burger or any red meat this week....yay me!!! Here are my calorie burns so far...

Wed, Oct 3rd: burned 1,350
    Thur, Oct 4th: burned 392 (busy day!!)
    Fri, Oct 5th: burned 1,004 so far (will update later)
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    So my idea of going without wine crashed and burned. We had a client come into town and there was of course a client dinner... with wine. Poop. I have burned at least 300 calories per day though. I hope everyone else is doing awesome. Have a great weekend!