Does your dog(s) have quirks?

Options
jerbear1962
jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
I'm not sure what the reason is but Shadow has a tendency to want to be covered up, everything but his head. I keep a throw near my chair for those chilly nights and he'll come over near me go under the throw so that it covers him and lay down for his nap. I could understand if he was a short haired dog but you would think with this much fur he'd be burning up. He does make my days though...love to watch his reactions to so many things.

Replies

• spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Ours loves to hide her treats (although most dogs do I'm sure). The amount of times I've come home from a night out and there is a dog biscuit under my pillow, or under the covers... I've found them in weird places. Once in the corner with a teddy neatly placed on top of it. Said to other half "did you put that there"... nope, must have been the dog.

I love when she lies down and her legs go like a frog.

I love when she curls up into a tiny ball and tucks her nose under her tail

and I love when she rests her chin on something before she climbs on it - testing out the comfort factor first!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Goober
    lays down to eat and his bowl must be in the middle of the floor,
    sleeps outside on top of the picnic table, no matter the weather
    if he has to go out in the middle of the night, will crawl under my blankets and bite my toes
    doesn't like to see anybody sit on the floor, or lay on the couch he will nibble at your ears till you move

I think that's it for quirky, otherwise he is just a typical husky, never a dull moment
  • jerbear1962
    Options
    I've watched many videos on YouTube and many huskies/malmutes have so many quirks. I think they are so adorable...they are so smart and think about things a lot. They think of different ways to do things and to get things done. Right now Shadow is in the middle of the room asleep taking up the whole space...so cute.
  • Keiko385
    Options
    Two days before I even knew I was adopting Goober I was flipping through the channels on the TV and watched "Snow Dogs" with Cuba Gooding Jr..it was all I had on my mind when he walked in my house and acting like he owned the place, knowing what I did about his situation I thought it was going to be a nightmare but all I did was giggle the first couple of days but then all his tricks started getting out of hand. He was a handful for several months and had to be watched 24/7 or everything in sight was destroyed. He hated curtains and mini blinds in particular.

I cant imagine life without him now and would love to have more!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Rain is a bit funny about treats that are new to her or treats that she gets at the local petstore when we go through the register - she will take the treat gently from you hand, hold it between her teeth and then tries to figure out where to put it down for further inspection and to decide if she'll eat it.....but you have to see her face when she does it......careful....don't let the lips or tongue touch this thing....have to find out what it is first..ohohoh no lip touching....where is a safe spot to drop it?!?!? Agghhhh don't let the thing touch the lips.....teeth only....... She cracks me up when she does that!!!!!
  • spangey13
    Options
    Rain is a bit funny about treats that are new to her or treats that she gets at the local petstore when we go through the register - she will take the treat gently from you hand, hold it between her teeth and then tries to figure out where to put it down for further inspection and to decide if she'll eat it.....but you have to see her face when she does it......careful....don't let the lips or tongue touch this thing....have to find out what it is first..ohohoh no lip touching....where is a safe spot to drop it?!?!? Agghhhh don't let the thing touch the lips.....teeth only....... She cracks me up when she does that!!!!!

Ours does this too!!! She can take something from your hand and she wont touch you - she's super gentle which is good cos there are far too many kids around that like to poke and prod her. She's so patient. I'm sure any other breed would snarl and snap!!
    Definately inspects stuff. I gave her a plain cracker yesterday. Boring. Then I gave her a cracker with peanut butter on it and it was a super awesome new treat. She laid it out on the carpet (whoops - I didn't think about that!) and inspected it before consumption.
  • jerbear1962
    Options
    Anything I add peanut butter to Shadow will eat, loves peanut butter...even on apples and celery. Crazy about cottage cheese too. The only things he's torn up so far has been the door to the basement and the carpet at the front door. The basement door because I had to go to work and we thought we'd put him in basement well he had other plans and actually does well up here. The front door carpet because when we first got him they had fireworks a couple blocks over and I thought they would scare him so I left him in. He was trying to dig his way out...I can't buy him any toys made from cloth material because they don't last more than a day or two.
  • spangey13
    Options
    Forgot to mention this - it is weird. Either she's mad, or it is a game for her. She lies on the floor, you skim a biscuit across the floor towards her, and she will leap in the air and run away from it. So you pick it up, do it again, she runs the other way. It is so funny - it'll go on for a good few minutes before she'll howl at you for her biscuit.
  • jerbear1962
    Options
    thats funny...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    thanks jerbear for letting me know about this group. hi everyone i'm owned by two dogs. parker an 11yr old mal/shepard mix and jazzy an 8yr old akita/mal mix.

do my dogs have quirks! oh where to begin. let's see parker will only eat his food laying down (has done this for as long as we've been owned by him 8yrs). he loves to shred paper towel tubes and toilet paper tubes, rolls around on bar soap boxes (rubs his head on the boxes).

jazzy oh boy she has quirks: she won't go past the refrigerator into the laundry room because she sees her reflection in the fridge (it's stainless), she won't go in the garage the door going up freaks her out, she's afraid of the ceiling fan and balloons and my fav she only eats when it's time to go out - she'll run over to her dish gobble up as much food as she possible can before i scold her then walks to the back door with mouthful of food and devours it before i can open the door.
  • jerbear1962
    Options
    Shadow has a tissue issue...he will grab it out of the garbage can and shred it all over the other room from where we are...I need to start carrying my camera with me, between the two of them Tippy(my kitty) and Shadow they have been extra cute this week. Last night they fell asleep Shadow rolled head to tail and Tippy in the middle and over his back. I tried to get up to grab camera for pic but they woke up.
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Quirks huh? Where do I begin? I think the most funny and disturbing of them is the "interesting things" my big boy, Nero, can consume and subsequently expel through one end or the other without batting an eye. He loves to eat underwear, socks, and dish rags, basically anything he can fit in his mouth. Then later that day or the next, he goes outside and either craps it out or throws it up. Now the critical question is: is it wrong to wash those items and reuse them? LOL
  • Keiko385
    Options
    Quirks huh? Where do I begin? I think the most funny and disturbing of them is the "interesting things" my big boy, Nero, can consume and subsequently expel through one end or the other without batting an eye. He loves to eat underwear, socks, and dish rags, basically anything he can fit in his mouth. Then later that day or the next, he goes outside and either craps it out or throws it up. Now the critical question is: is it wrong to wash those items and reuse them? LOL

There is not enough bleach produced that would let me reuse or wear something has been expelled out the back end of my dog :noway:
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I know. I never have. But he does love them. damn dog
  • jerbear1962
    Options
    I thought the tissue was bad...but stay away from my boxers...LOL