new day and a new dilemma

Options
cinsuccess
cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
I went on a second date with this really nice guy last night. We have a lot in common and I do enjoy talking to him.

Here's the situation: He just started a business in the last 12 months. I totally understand that it takes time to build a business but he has stated that his intention is to get the business to a point where he won't need to be there and he can simply be an administrator from home. He has stressed that he had a business before and worked way to hard and now he likes having his free time so he doesn't ever want to give that up which limits how successful the business will really get even though he keeps arguing otherwise. He seems to believe he can build his business up to a 7 figure business while working only 6 hours a day.

My concern: I'm a really successful corporate attorney. I don't expect the men I date to make as much as me but I do have concerns about them being able to pull their own weight in the relationship. I completely supported my ex-husband while he tried to build his business and it never happened... he got really comfortable with what I provided and simply stopped trying all that hard. I won't ever go through that again. I'm not materialistic but since the divorce I've been very happy to have the freedom to go on nice vacations and other stuff because I'm no longer carrying both sides.

I'm already pretty sure of what the answer is but I thought I'd give you a chance to weigh in. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I'm already pretty sure of what the answer is but I thought I'd give you a chance to weigh in. :flowerforyou:

Good attorneys don't ask questions if they don't know the answer ahead of time.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

^^^THIS
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Maybe that's why there wasn't *really* an actual question in the OP. :wink:

I don't know anything about this guy other than a couple sentence you jotted down here, but this would be ringing my alarm bells that he's the kind of guy that is always looking for the next "get rich quick" scheme - something that's supposedly going to bring in lots of cash and require very little work from him. Everyone I know who has their own business works like a dog but they do it out of passion for their career and to be their own boss - not to have more leisure time.

I personally would ditch the guy because he obviously doesn't have the same work ethic as me.
  • cinsuccess
    Options
    I've had a lot of people tell me I need to be more flexible on the money issue as I'm limiting myself too much and could miss out on a great guy. I just don't understand how my friends could think he's a great guy for me if I have to support 60-70% of our life.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    I would never consider someone who has a hint of being financially irresponsible. I don't care if that makes me inflexible - I watch too much Suze Orman to be too unaware of the need to protect my own financial future, because you can't rely on some new person to do it for you.

I really think this is not about the guy being early into a business that could succeed or fail - it's about his attitude toward work and money. They just don't sound realistic and responsible, from the little that you wrote here. I won't sign up for a relationship with someone who is giving off an air of future bankruptcy or laziness about working.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Does he have a successful track record of business? If he has worked for years at one place and now he is leaving that is way different than trying for ten years to start businesses and failing.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    Does he have a successful track record of business? If he has worked for years at one place and now he is leaving that is way different than trying for ten years to start businesses and failing.
    Yes, you said he had a business before - what happened to that one? Why isn't he managing that one now as the administrator with a 6 hour work day?
  • cinsuccess
    Options
    According to him, he built a very successful business before but he won't tell me what it was - only that it's a "top name" company. He also said that was miserable because he had to work long hours so he's approaching this business differently. He doesn't ever want to work the long hours again. He wants all the success without all the work which is a serious problem.

Thanks Mellie - the irresponsibility is a huge flag.
  • cinsuccess
    Options
    Yes, you said he had a business before - what happened to that one? Why isn't he managing that one now as the administrator with a 6 hour work day?

That business was a retail store which needed too much attention so he closed it down and has started this new business - dog walking and boarding which he perceives will require a lot less of a time commitment.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be in love than worry about money. Whilst I couldnt be with a bum, I dont consider income important. There was a stage in my life when I was rich and lonely. I just consider love more important.

OTOH I couldnt be with someone who just used me as a cash cow!! But I wouldnt be feeling the love with a person like that anyhow.

You gotta gauge your own wants and needs and take it from there. Do you want to travel alone, or do you want to pay for your lover to accompany you cos you can afford to and he can't? :flowerforyou:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Geez, he's not asking you to support him already is he? Date him a bit and see if you like him outside of the business stuff. If he never gets his act together then never be serious with him. But things might actually pick up and he might actually know what he is doing. In the meantime what it gonna hurt? A few dates?
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I would never consider someone who has a hint of being financially irresponsible. I don't care if that makes me inflexible - I watch too much Suze Orman to be too unaware of the need to protect my own financial future, because you can't rely on some new person to do it for you.

I really think this is not about the guy being early into a business that could succeed or fail - it's about his attitude toward work and money. They just don't sound realistic and responsible, from the little that you wrote here. I won't sign up for a relationship with someone who is giving off an air of future bankruptcy or laziness about working.

Sorry Mellie, not sure how you're reading bankruptcy or laziness into this guy??

I've had serveral businesses in my life. Doesnt mean I was ever bankrupt or lazy. Some were a success, some were not!

If you mean you prefer a guy who has a stable job 9-5 job with a secure income, then yeah, you might be disappointed in an entrepreneur. Self employed people's salary can be sporadic and unpredictable. But people that have business ideas and try new concepts with the wish to earn lots and work less, aren't bone idle! More, highly practical, ambitious and sensible!! :flowerforyou:
  • cinsuccess
    Options
    Geez, he's not asking you to support him already is he? Date him a bit and see if you like him outside of the business stuff. If he never gets his act together then never be serious with him. But things might actually pick up and he might actually know what he is doing. In the meantime what it gonna hurt? A few dates?

That was my intention until he pushed the issue. He's ready to be serious after 2 dates! I told him I'm still getting to know him and to figure things out. He wants me to commit to being exclusive with him and I told him I just couldn't do that at this point. He wants to resolve all of my concerns and issues so I can commit to being serious and I keep trying to tell him that it's not that simple.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was too early to be putting the relationship under such scrutiny. Just go out on some dates. get to know him better and see how it feels.

Money isn't everything and just because you earn more than him doesn't automatically mean he will want to sponge of you! You don't have to have a joint bank account to go on some dates!

Enjoy and have fun, go with the flow and see what happens.

edit as just read your post above this - if he is being pushy already and you don't feel it then possibly this is a no go?
  • cinsuccess
    Options

Sorry Mellie, not sure how you're reading bankruptcy or laziness into this guy??

I've had serveral businesses in my life. Doesnt mean I was ever bankrupt or lazy. Some were a success, some were not!

If you mean you prefer a guy who has a stable job 9-5 job with a secure income, then yeah, you might be disappointed in an entrepreneur. Self employed people's salary can be sporadic and unpredictable. But people that have business ideas and try new concepts with the wish to earn lots and work less, aren't bone idle! More, highly practical, ambitious and sensible!! :flowerforyou:

I have no issues with a business owner but he left a successful business because it got too hard. Those are his words not mine.
  • cinsuccess
    Options
    I'd say it was too early to be putting the relationship under such scrutiny. Just go out on some dates. get to know him better and see how it feels.

Money isn't everything and just because you earn more than him doesn't automatically mean he will want to sponge of you! You don't have to have a joint bank account to go on some dates!

I totally agree but HE's pushing for a commitment after 2 dates. I don't bring up any of these things but if a guy is asking me to commit to being with him and not date anyone else, then I do have to look more closely.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

I totally agree but HE's pushing for a commitment after 2 dates. I don't bring up any of these things but if a guy is asking me to commit to being with him and not date anyone else, then I do have to look more closely.

If you get a bad vibe, there is probably a reason for it. I'm going to post a separate thread on this, but I read some good advice today about bad mistakes and vibes.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

I have no issues with a business owner but he left a successful business because it got too hard. Those are his words not mine.

So did I, funnily enough. I was working 24/7 and I burnt out! I started again. Who in this world wants to work 24/7, no breaks, with an unimaginable amount of stress and little appreciation or rewards, no social life, no love?

I make him absolutely right.

Try something new :smokin:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

That was my intention until he pushed the issue. He's ready to be serious after 2 dates! I told him I'm still getting to know him and to figure things out. He wants me to commit to being exclusive with him and I told him I just couldn't do that at this point. He wants to resolve all of my concerns and issues so I can commit to being serious and I keep trying to tell him that it's not that simple.

I would definitely say that's the bigger issue at hand. Just tell him you're not ready for exclusivity and if he's not okay with that well... there's your answer.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Totally the bigger issue. But do you like him?? Someone posted the other day if a relationship is doomed if you are on different levels, and I said no, cos I believe that most of the time couples move at different paces. If you're not ready, just say No? Up to him then if he sticks around until you are :flowerforyou: