11yrs later, Kept off 75% excess weight, fighting 25%..again

Options
Hey All,
I had RNY Gastric Bypass April 20, 2001 and started at 340 lbs. I've kept 75% of my excess weight off, even after 11 years...but I'm 40 lbs heavier than my lowest post-op weight, and not happy about it. Ugg. So, back to tracking calories and exercise...Again! If you are pre or shortly post-op, remember this is a lifetime decision and just a tool. Surgery is on your stomach, not your mind...so the issues that lead to your weight gain are still going to be there. Lifetime journey, one step at a time.

Any other long term post ops? :)

Kat

Replies

• HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. I weighed 380 on Aug 5, 1998 and lost 202 lb with the RNY which brought me to 178. I regained 70 to 248 and worked my way back down to 171 for a second then moved out of state and regained again to 203.5. Currently working my way back down, AGAIN. Do you see a pattern here? LOL. So tired of being obsessed with the numbers. I thought surgery was the magic cure but guess what??? It's not. Still have to watch my intake and exercise every single day otherwise the old bod goes right back...1 lb at a time.

Don't get me wrong, having the surgery done was the best gift I ever gave myself. Now if I can only get the head straight. I regret the day I ever reintroduced sugar back into my body.

Thanks Kat for starting this thread. I hope it helps someone else who is in any phase of the surgery.

Deb
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY in 2004 at 283. As is normal, dumped about 80 lbs in the first year. Gained back ten, buckled down and lost the 10 plus another 20 over the next couple of years until I got down to 180. I;m only 5'4", but was pretty happy there, and so was the doctor. Then beginning of the year 2011 I entered into an all consuming project at work. I knew I was using food to cope, the pants were getting tight, but just couldn't deal with it at that time. Completely ignored the scale. By the end of the year I had put on 40 lbs. Who would have thought it could back on that fast. Cleaned up the food to were I was eating what I was before I started gaining. Put on another 20 lbs over 6 months. So, here I am again. Counting calories and carbs. Tried just calories and the scale wasn't moving. So, on to ultra low carb, that has the scale moving again.

I too would do the surgery all over again. It is the best tool ever! But, you can't be complacent.
  • krystinek
    Options
    You are not alone.

I had my RNY in Toronto in Dec 2001. Started at 300, got down to 165 for 5 minutes, and then crept up to 190 where I stayed for several years. Over the last 2 years, I got up to 218 before I decided enough was enough.

I would also do the surgery all over again, but like you said, you can't be complacent.
  • GrandmaTiny0902
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am so glad I found this group because I know that our situation is different from many. I choose the name GrandmaTiny0902 because I have open RNY gastric bypass in September 2002. I started out at 267 pounds and at my lowest I was 142. I have had many life issues that have led to dealing with anxiety & depression and the medication does help with those issues but had made me gain weight. I have 40 lbs. to loss and just started today to ready get serious again. At 142 my daughter called me Grandma Tiny so that is what I would like my grandchildren to remember me as the get older. I need accountability to drink more water and exercise more. I am looking forward to getting to know each one of you more and I will try to give you the accountability and encouragement as you are continuing on this journey to health. We have the tools we can do this for good! I will be praying for each of you.
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    You are not alone.

I had my RNY in Toronto in Dec 2001. Started at 300, got down to 165 for 5 minutes, and then crept up to 190 where I stayed for several years. Over the last 2 years, I got up to 218 before I decided enough was enough.

I would also do the surgery all over again, but like you said, you can't be complacent.

Good catch before you got any more regain and still an EXCELLENT result! I'm glad you are here!
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am so glad I found this group because I know that our situation is different from many. I choose the name GrandmaTiny0902 because I have open RNY gastric bypass in September 2002. I started out at 267 pounds and at my lowest I was 142. I have had many life issues that have led to dealing with anxiety & depression and the medication does help with those issues but had made me gain weight. I have 40 lbs. to loss and just started today to ready get serious again. At 142 my daughter called me Grandma Tiny so that is what I would like my grandchildren to remember me as the get older. I need accountability to drink more water and exercise more. I am looking forward to getting to know each one of you more and I will try to give you the accountability and encouragement as you are continuing on this journey to health. We have the tools we can do this for good! I will be praying for each of you.

Welcome TG! You've done well! You can take care of this regain! We are here to help you through it! I too, as well as many of us, suffer from depression and anxiety. Mine is situational, that's a joke, who isn't depressed depending upon their situation?, LOL. Anyway, I wish you all the best in your struggles & victories!

Deb
  • happpyhappyjoyjoy
    happpyhappyjoyjoy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My Surgery was 11 years ago. I was 252 and got down to 138. I had gotten back up to 163 but back on my way back down. I'd like to get back to the 138 and I have 14 pounds to go and I am having such a hard time doing it. I get hungry about every two hours. Maybe it's my meds or I've also been told that it's the surgery and it's supposed to do that for the six mini meals a day. I have no idea.
  • lisafoster66
    Options
    yep I am long term post....gastric bypass jan 2001. Not done as well as you. lost 150 and have since gained 100 back! not happy, major health issues. where did you have yours done? The surgeon I had was more into doing the surgery and not so much for informing. No phyc tests, no seminars, nothing said about me smoking.....just a fast consult, lab work and set the date. From first consult to acual surgery was less then 3 month. I have recently been told I am very vit deficient. which is the biggest reason for all my heatlh issues. I do not blame the doctor 100%, I blame ME for not taking a more active approach in my own decision to have WLS in the first place.
    I have been working on getting back on track. Taking many vits now, watching what I eat, trying to do more excrsies. I have hope I can lose it again. Having a consult with a REAL bariatric surgeon in a few weeks so I can have the follow up care I never had. oh that was another thing......I saw the acual doctor who did my suregy 3x. Consult, day of surgery and one time after. My general doctor took care of me after my surgery.
  • lisafoster66
    Options
    how did you drop what you regained? did you go back to basics? mini meals, protein shake replacments ect? I am just beginning on the road back to re lose the 100 I regained.
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Same boat here and the reason I joined MFP. Had surgery in 2005 at 296lbs, lost 130, down to 165 for a minute (like someone else said). Gained back about 10lbs and maintained at 175 for about 5-6 years, even after 2 kids. In the last 2 years, I put back on 55 more lbs. So here I am, trying to regain control before I gain all the weight back.
  • nativeprincess35
    Options
    I see the original post on this was from some time ago. I hope you are still doing well, and keeping on track. I had my vertical banded gastroplasty June 2000. My highest weight ever measured was 489 lbs. So far I am not seeing anybody as big as I was....but I am optimistic that there is somebody out there. I lost over 150 initially and kept it off, plus or minus about 20+ lbs. A couple years ago I started to loose more and at one point was down to 300 lbs. I was just on the verge of breaking that 300 lb mark when I had other health issues creep back up on me and I gained weight back up to 352 lbs. I am finally at a point that I feel good enough to exercise without feeling my knees will give out, an abdominal surgery last Nov is healed enough and I just HAVE TO GET THIS WEIGHT BACK OFF! I am happy to find support groups to help me do this.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in Jan 04. Weighing in at 411lbs, i lost 197 lbs in the first year and 237 altogether. My lowest weight was 169 and over the course of the last 10 years crept back up to 240 lbs. CW is 223 but im finding it hard to lose again. I joined MFP and have been working diligently but have had to make huge changes. I still eat too many carbs but not nearly as much slider foods. I consumed so much slider foods and high sugar foods over the years that I was having blood sugar spikes all the time. Dizzy sweats and nausea. I went through a terrible relationship that just destroyed my will to care about what I was doing to my body. I'm thinking of doing the 5day pouch test to get back on track. How many of you have done this? I haven't had any post op care in over 8 years. Glad to find this group. ^_^
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    I lost my regain(s) by going back to basics and doing the 5 dpt a couple of times. I also logged every bite into the MFP food journal whether it was good or bad, it's all about accountability to ONESELF. Daily exercise too, I started at 5 mins on the treadmill and worked up to 1 hr. I've been lax on the exercise again myself and I can tell. Good luck! Never give up!
  • selmanaj
    Options
    My gastric bypass in 2003
    I was 265
    lowest weight 140
    current weight 169
    I feel awesome at 155
    I am 5 foot 7 inches

There is no easy way to manage our weight or we would not be on this message board. Everyday is a new chance to get it right. good luck everyone!