Substitutions for squats and deadlifts?

Misiaxcore
Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
Hey all,

I just switched from NROLW to Strong Lifts, but I'm not allowed to do squats or deadlifts yet due to a partial tear in my calf muscle. Before with NR I would just not do the leg exercises and do other things, but I feel like I'm doing too much with my upper body.

Any advice on what I can sub squats and deadlifts with that will still target most of the same muscles ? :P Or another simple lifting program ?? NR just got too complicated and annoying for me.

Replies

• iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    I'm afraid if you can't do squats and deadlifts this program is not for you. Increasing the numbers on these lifts is the whole point of SL5x5.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/quads.html
    Here you can find a few exercises for each muscle group though, maybe it helps.
  • Hi,

I can't do these either due to injury, but love the program and still think there are benefits to be had. I do leg press / curls / extensions instead of the squats, but there's not much I can do to replace the dead lift. I have a perforated disk and feel that weakness was part of the cause. I have been trying to strengthen my hams and increase my flexibility... I do planks and hyper extensions but would love to one day pull off a deadlift without aggravating my back.

I tried a weighted bridge for my glutes, but had a bit of pain afterwards. Not sure if it was that or something else I've been doing..

Anyone else?