Time-Crunched Triathlete?

vtate75
vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
Has anyone read or used this? I am trying to train for a HIM, but having trouble with time. Something always seems to get in the way. I'm going to try to get serious about setting up a schedule after NEXT weekend when I finish my half marathon. Does anyone have any suggestions or like this book? I'm a full time working mom with four kids (ages 2, 7, 9, & 15). My 15 year old is very active, the middle boys play tons of soccer, and my husband teaches classes at a local college two nights per week in addition to his normal job. SO...I am really confined to early mornings. I generally get up at 4 so that I can be finished by 6. I usually can fit in some longer workouts on the weekend (long ride & long run). This weekend I can't because of my hubby's leg surgery thing yesterday, but in general I have time on weekends. I'm wondering if something like Time-Crunched Triathlete would work for me. Suggestions?

Replies

• I did a full IM after training only 5-7 hours per week. OK, I was not in the top three, but I wasn't last either. A lot of triathletes are strong in swimming and biking, but have trouble running because of knee problems etc. Since you are a runner, you should be finishing fine. You will have no problems finishing a HIM doing the training you do now. Following this book can make you finishing with better times, but you don't need it if you just plan to make it to the finish line. Don't train so hard that you get injured.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    jerikris is the exception not the rule. There are likely very few people that could complete a full ironman on 5-7 hours per week. I was able to complete a half on a plan that was about 5-10 hours per week. The key to finishing is making sure you getting your long workouts in. Your not going to hurt yourself if you miss a 40 minute Monday recovery run but you will set yourself up for a long day if you skip your long workouts.

Find a plan and work it as best you can and if you have to miss some of your mid-week workouts then don't sweat it. Just make sure you treat your long workouts as sacred and you will make it to the finish just fine.