Side effects of Topamax?

FractalFae
FractalFae Posts: 63 Member
I'm taking 75mg of Topamax daily and just during the last few days I've noticed a severe decrease in appetite... weight loss can be one of the side effects but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge loss of appetite as well while taking this medication. I'm taking it along with 50mg of Lamictal for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,087 Member
    i checked out the side effects online, and loss of appetite is something you should let your doctor know about.

if it worries you, your doctor can answer those questions for you.

as far as when i took it, i didnt have loss of appetite, but i was also on medication that promoted weight gain so it probably averaged out.

good luck taking it.. :)
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    I take Topamax and have had a decrease in appetite, although not severe. I thought it was a good thing! It has jump started my weight loss again! If yours is severe I would check with your doctor.
  • I took a topamax + toradol combo a couple years ago. (Sorry, I don't remember my dosages) but my side effects were pretty horrible. I wasn't on it long enough to notice weight loss and I was already refusing to eat so I'm not sure if it had enough time to effect that as well. All I know is four doses in I had what my doctor termed a psychotic reaction. I couldn't stop shaking, didn't know who I was, couldn't hold it together. The ER got it out of my system and suggested a psych hold but my mother refused, largely under the presumption I was fine and it would pass. Ended up having ticks and increased anxiety/panic attacks for 6 months. My neurologist wanted me to resume the meds but I refused, at that time it was supposedly for the migraine pain I was experiencing and the side effects seemed more hazardous than the constant pain. I thought it was just a freak thing brought on by all my other cascading problems but over the years I've ended up talking to several people who've experienced similar events. So I'd just say use it with caution and make sure you're monitored as much as possible at first.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    I am on topomax, and added it as a mood stabilizer to hopefully assist in weight loss. It hasn't had that effect for me. We tried upping the dosage and still no weight loss with topomax. With the higher dosage I had other side effects, so decided to lower the dosage back down.