Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Portion Control is a CHALLENGE!!!! 10/8

garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
3a1ef1a604d0__1349695638000.jpg

It hit me last night...I had company over for dinner and we had apple turnovers...I wanted a little ice cream with it...I got some 'mini' Haagen Daz ice cream and we each took a spoon full! It was just enough...you know what I mean? YOU got a TASTE and without going overboard on portion and calories! I love it!

Challenge: In what way can you discover to 'have your cake and eat it too' without going overboard esp on things you don't want to totally give up? If you have a way share if not brainstorm now and share with group.
This will help us learn not to deprive ourselves and at the same time learn to portion control.

Hit me back!!!!

Peace and Joy,
WW

Replies

• lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Well since I have five kids what I have been doing is instead of ordering myself my own portion I will take sips or bites from their treats. My weakness is chocolate and Mountain Dew and my daughters love this too. If I help them eat their junk then they do not eat as much of it also. Double bonus.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    two things from a chocoholic...

first off, i keep a bag of ghiradelli chocolates in my drawer at work. most days (i do have slips, but only very occassionally), i have 1 piece of chocolate every day after breakfast. this gets my chocolate fix out of the way right away, and i don't spend all day thinking that "i need it, i've gotta have it" and then trying to talk myself out of it, only to find myself eating 3 candy bars because i couldn't talk myself out of it...

second, blue bunny mini cones. they are drumstick style ice cream cones, either yellow waffle cone with vanilla ice cream, or chocolate waffle with chocolate ice cream. both have the chocolate lining inside the cone and they are dipped in chocolate. 140 calories. these are my special treat. i can make a box last about 3 months...
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    There are ALWAYS cookies and cakes at work. I flat out avoid the cake, but I will take a cookie and break it in half. No one else ever wants half a cookie, so I just throw the other half out. Gets rid of the temptation to eat all of it, but I still get enough to hit the spot!
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Same here I have to make cookies everyday at work. I try to ignore the temptation and grab a fruit or a yogurt. Better substitute but doesnt always help the cravings but sometimes you just have to give in.
    There are ALWAYS cookies and cakes at work. I flat out avoid the cake, but I will take a cookie and break it in half. No one else ever wants half a cookie, so I just throw the other half out. Gets rid of the temptation to eat all of it, but I still get enough to hit the spot!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Yeah I so understand...I think knowing your food triggers to binge versus eating something small in portion and enjoying it is a fine line!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Since I joined MFP I've been paying close attention to portions (with a few exceptions) and I'm pretty sure that's the number one reason I'm losing weight. Whenever I eat something I log it. I pay attention to the calorie numbers on the label, as well as trying to find equitable foods when I just can't find exactly what I ate. This site has created me a little OCD heaven for calculations.

Oh, and I bought five premade Swanson meals for $1 a piece today. (I love sales.) Each box is one serving. Can't control portions any better than that.

NOTE: And yes, I know it goes against anything and everything related to eating more natural and unprocessed, but I can't live off my herb garden.