Tennis Elbow and barbell row

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
I've been suffering with tennis elbow for about a month...sometimes it seems better and then it gets worse again. I started 5X5 last week, and love it and want to keep going. I notice however that the barbell row really aggravates the elbow. Does anyone know of another pull exercise I could try? I was thinking next time maybe trying an underhand grip - any opinions on that?

I have been so looking forward to starting this program and won't stop, but maybe I'll have to give up just this one move.

Replies

• abirkel
    abirkel Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't have experience with tennis elbow, but I use an underhand grip on the rows and that helps. You might try it and see how you like it?

IF that still hurts for you, maybe substitute seated cable rows?

Just spitballing here....
  • kikih64
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I don't have rows until Weds. and I will try the underhand grip. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • 1ariesgal
    1ariesgal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know it sounds wonky, but have you tried apple cider vinegar? I started taking it for help with a wicked sinus infection and i was a miracle. While I was researching natural cures for it, I came across many references to ACV & tennis elbow/tendonitis. My mom takes it now and her very weak, stressed tendons in her ankle are scads better! I was in a wicked car accident that still affects me today (23 years ago) since starting ACV, I ache much less and just love ACV.

I've copied and pasted some testimonials I found. There are many more out there, this is just a taste.

Hope you arm gets better!

There is not a day that goes by that I am not handing out a note with Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother In It for all types of problems. Even one of the Judges I worked with has everyone he knows on it. He initially had tennis elbow and two extremely painful and hard to walk problems with knees. The second day after he began taking the vinegar, he was out of pain and has had his friends and family on it; and, while I was employed in that office, continued to keep a gallon in his office. It has helped me not to have sinusitis or allergies, had an mva and a neck injury. There is nothing like it!

Over the years while abusing my body in my everyday life (working) I developed new and painful body movements, aches where I never had before and eventually the Doc diagnosed me with tendonitis (really painful) in both of my shoulders, being a mover this isn't good for business, it really started hurting my paycheck (then I started the ACV). I really had not realized I stopped taking the naproxen the Dr. had prescribed until I went to see him for my physical. He asked me if I needed a new script, that's when I realized I used to live on those pills everyday and hadn't needed them once since I started taking the ACV, so I told the Dr. about the ACV he was awed, seeing the results for himself he decided to start taking it, in fact my Barber, Boss, Coworkers, Kids, Brothers and sister all now take it with health benefits of there own. I tell you I LOVE ACV it has changed my life and made me a new healthier man. I actually believe I have a long healthy life ahead. The recipe I use everyday is: 2 table spoons of ACV and 1 Tablespoon of honey. Add water to taste. I do this two times a day, everyday. Good luck to all in your journey to a healthier you!"

Not only did I lose weight, it helped my tennis elbow and aching arthritis in my hands.
    I drank 3-4 drinks a day. 1tbs of ACV, 1tbs of raw honey to 8 oz. of water.
    I sometimes heated the water in the microwave until warm (not hot, it will kill the properties). It tasted just like a hot apple cider drink. It tastes great that way, or cold with ice too.
    View the original article here

Most any good health or vitamin shop sells it. It is a pineapple root extract that helps relieve the swelling, and is a digestive aid as well. A shot of apple cider vinegar a day also helps once arthritis sets in. At 55 and beat up racing since 1975, my aches and pains are a thing of the past even with 2 broken ankles, 2 torn acls, 4 separated shoulders, broken fingers, nose, dislocated elbow, broken neck, u name it. Fun sport.
  • kikih64
    Options
    Interesting! I think I will try it. I've heard of people using it, but I wasn't sure why or how. Everything sounds wonky until you find out it works. I've been icing, stretching and wearing an elbow strap. I was at a psychic faire (there's wonky for you) on Saturday in Salem MA (witch capital USA) and bought a magnetite bracelet to try. I am not kidding you - I'm about 50% better just from wearing that. I am willing to try anything, since I really don't want to have a cortisone shot.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll pick up some ACV and honey on the way home and give it a try tonight.
  • kikih64
    Options
    I tried the underhand grip and it didn't hurt at all. I'll stick with that for a while. I have had 2 days worth of Apple Cider Vinegar, so we'll see how that turns out. And, I am not kidding...the magnetite bracelet is doing something!