No more cancer

Options
1swlg1948
1swlg1948 Posts: 15 Member
:flowerforyou: In May of 2011, I had a car accident one week and the following week, I was told I had one of the most aggressive cancers out there. I went to see my Endocrinologist one week for blood work to check my thyroid levels and the next week went back with a golf ball knot on the left side of my neck. I was referred to an ENT Dr. who happened to be one of the best in my area and he wanted to do a biopsy, but I was afraid, so I let this go on for a couple weeks more and then had that done. Non conclusive as the CT scan said the same thing. I had this nodule removed the end of April and was told I had to see an Oncologist. I didn't want to believe I had cancer, but it was true. I had the lowest rate, first stage of large B cell lymphoma and it was contained in one strain of lymph nodes in my neck. I took a 3 chop of chemo and 15 treatments of radiation which I feel now was not necessary. I am going into my first year now and will see the Oncologist tomorrow. My blood work has been good thus far. I have had issues with skin, numbness in hands and some other things crop up but all in all I am thankful to be alive. I am a determined person and I know the good Lord healed me. I know my work here isn't done yet and I try to share with others that it isn't just a freak thing I didn't die. Cancer can be a scarey thing, but I never thought I would die of this. These treatments do various things to your body and each person is different. I try to eat right, walk every day and keep my attitude right. It doesn't have to be a death sentence. Take care and be patient with yourself. Your body has gone through a tremendous change with having those powerful drugs pumped into it. Do something good for yourself today and share your experience with other people who have had cancer. It helps. Have a wonderful day and be good to yourself. You only have the one body you were given and it will service you well if you take care of it. Thanks for letting me share, Judy in Virgina

Replies

• ghodgett
    ghodgett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have had cancer in 1994....I still take tamoxifen for breast cancer and do not intend to get off it. I keep my blood thin with aspirin and have my check ups. Remember...insurance companies do not like the expensive of chemo or rad....take it...and listen to your body. I am so thankful I had the treatment...keep moving your body ...you need the exercise...house work, walking, swimming, and doing the regular things in life. Enjoy living...we just have one shot ...
  • finshstrong
    finshstrong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a breast cancer survivor.. i had a very agressive, mean cancer as the dr put it. I did heavy duty chemo for six rounds, then continued with hercepton for a year thereafter and underwent heavy duty radiation... Ive been going through this since 2010 I no longer am on chemo, however, my oncologist will not take my port out... which is kind of scary.. but the tumor was located 1 millimeter away from my chest way.

the radiation fried me. Now that I am working out, the muscle under my arm, my chest, and even going up under my arm to my back somewhat has very little elasticity. It is not fun.. Ive been referred to pt to get my range of motion back.. I'm optomistic but I also know what radiation does to your soft tissues. still I'm working out and doing the best I can do.

sitting in bed for three years sick, undergoing five surgeries, two staph infections, chemo and radiation, I gaiined around fifty pounds. I have lost ten in the last month and a week. and many inches. I'm happy with that. I'm just gonna keep on keeping on. I just wish that I had that elasticity under my arm ya know... the pysical therapist says, well lift your arm until it doesn't hurt. really? that's just not realistic... when you work out everything hurts. however, i really pulled it Monday so... I have to go.

happy to be alive, happy to enjoy working out and eating healthy, living life outloud and hoping for the best.

:)
  • finshstrong
    finshstrong Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Update: Ive been working out now for three and a half months. I have lost twenty eight pounds (by eating right and working out). My endurance has soared and I have so much more energy. My balance has really improved, although not completely.

My attitude about myself has come a long way. I am no longer depressed, I enjoy exercise and I am really enjoying my life now. My self-esteem has gone from negative 5 to a level where I am happy where I am and happy to be where I'm going. I make little goals onto my big one and I feel like I'm really accomplishing something.

Life after cancer, is living indeed. :smile: