Essentials for bike cleaning and a *bit* of maintenance

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for essentials bits of kit required to properly clean a bike?

Currently I only use a sponge and some warm soapy water, but I know I need to do more, especially to maintain the chain and derailleur (however you spell it) and cranks. My chain and deraillieur are getting clogged up (unsurprisingly)

I *think* I need :

degreaser (is there specific degreasers for bikes or any degreaser do?),
some lube (for the chain only?),
chain cleaning brushes (I've seen a kit in Wiggle)

I'd also like a workshop stand, not a posh one, but enough to keep the bike off the ground so I can do pedal turning stuff without turning it upside down. Any recommendations for brands or suppliers?

Is there anything else I've missed.....

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Fran

Replies

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You've got the basics. I use one of those chain cleaner things (like this http://www.parktool.com/product/cyclone-chain-scrubber-CM-5-2) for when the chain is really gunky, other than that use the lube and a rag. If all you're doing is basic cleaning, you really don't need a stand, been doing it for years without, but if you've got the scratch for it, wouldn't hurt to buy one. I like the more "natural" degreasers out there and know that Pedros and White Lightning both make good stuff...I can't recall the brand of the last one I bought at REI but it has worked well with some really nasty stuff. Lube is important, make sure you get the right style for the environment you're going to be in. I use a wax-style here in the dry desert (so as not to pick up tons of dirt on the chain) but used wet lube in the NW as it wouldn't disappear in the rain. Ask your LBS what they reccomend for your area if you're unsure. Good luck!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a bottle of Fenwicks FS-1 Bike Cleaner - it comes in 1 litre bottles as a concentrate, which can be used for cleaning/degreasing chains etc. Alternatively, mix it 1:10 with water, and use it from a spray-bottle (I use a old bottle from the shower-cleaner spray... waste not-want not) as a general spray-on frame/wheel/tyre-cleaner - just as effective as that Muc-Off stuff, and not as harsh on alloy components. It also smells a little more pleasant - actually it reminds me of Geraniums...

Also - Asda were selling a "detailing brush" in the car-cleaning/maintenance section - it's like a toothbrush for Esther Rantzen - green plastic handle, and strong nylon bristles - just the thing for getting the dirt out around bottom brackets, jockey wheels etc. And, because it's at the supermarket rather than the LBS, it's much cheaper!

Oh - I also swear by a can of GT-85 silicone spray - water dispersant I think they refer to it as. I personally just squirt a bit onto a rag after cleaning the bike, and give all the paintwork and exposed aluminium a quick wipe over - the silicone helps stop much sticking to the bike (a bit!)

Other than that, it's really just a matter of a bucket, sponge, hot water and a pile of rags.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    See if you can get a bottle of Fenwicks FS-1 Bike Cleaner - it comes in 1 litre bottles as a concentrate, which can be used for cleaning/degreasing chains etc. Alternatively, mix it 1:10 with water, and use it from a spray-bottle (I use a old bottle from the shower-cleaner spray... waste not-want not) as a general spray-on frame/wheel/tyre-cleaner - just as effective as that Muc-Off stuff, and not as harsh on alloy components. It also smells a little more pleasant - actually it reminds me of Geraniums...

Also - Asda were selling a "detailing brush" in the car-cleaning/maintenance section - it's like a toothbrush for Esther Rantzen - green plastic handle, and strong nylon bristles - just the thing for getting the dirt out around bottom brackets, jockey wheels etc. And, because it's at the supermarket rather than the LBS, it's much cheaper!

Oh - I also swear by a can of GT-85 silicone spray - water dispersant I think they refer to it as. I personally just squirt a bit onto a rag after cleaning the bike, and give all the paintwork and exposed aluminium a quick wipe over - the silicone helps stop much sticking to the bike (a bit!)

Other than that, it's really just a matter of a bucket, sponge, hot water and a pile of rags.

As usual TBY hits the nail on the head!

I use either Fenwicks FS-1 or MUC Off, they are excellent all over cleaners that are really easy to use and leave a great finish.

I literally eat GT-85 for breakfast, I absolutely love it! It is a great de-greaser for chain and gear systems but it also doubles as a lubricant. I spray the chain before and after every ride and even give my brake caliper and derailleur springs a squirt too!

Last weekend I used MUC Off chain and gear de-greaser and it worked excellently, leaving a lovely finish and I oiled the chain with their chain lube which seemed to work well. I got those from Tesco!

I use an old tooth brush for the fiddly bits like the derailleur sprockets, then just water and rags to rinse and dry.

:happy:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I'm getting a book for my birthday on bike maintenance from my friend - they were reviewed in last month's Cycling Active magazine issue, but I can't remember which one, so I can start to understand it all, gear indexing and a bit of tweaking, which is why I thought the stand might be good. Can't remember the name of the book off the top of my head.

The water dispersant sounds like a great plan.

As for lube, it's pretty wet where I am so I'm guessing wet lube is best to be applied AFTER the degreaser - is that the right way round?

Cheers :o)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I don't like getting too "prescriptive" about how to use chain lube - most of the decent branded stuff actually has remarkably detailed instructions on how to use their particular stuff.

Generally - wet lube can be put onto a chain, and ridden on straight away - whereas the dry lube needs to "set up" and is best done when you come in from a ride - dry and clean the chain with a clean rag (jsut to remove dust/grit really), apply the dry-lube one drop at a time, link by link, wipe off the side plates (you only need oil on the rollers/bearing surfaces - anything on the side-plates is just going to attract muck and turn into grinding paste!)

Wet lube on the other hand, I tend to use (mainly on the MTB) this way - first clean the chain - either with a chain-cleaner bath, or some spray cleaner in a rag and pass the chain through it. Then Oil with the wet lube, wipe off excess, and repeat if needed until the chain looks clean.

Periodically (say every 5-600 miles), I'll remove the chain and give it a complete clean - I've a old plastic 3L coke bottle half full of derv. for this purpose - drop the chain in, leave it to sit over night, and fish it out and dry it off. I'm sure that there are FAR more responsible ways of cleaning the chain than this, but it's damned effective!

Oh - and one of the best £6 you'll ever spend on a bike tool is this... a chain checker - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=87598 - if it once saves you over-wearing a chain, to the point that you need a new rear sprocket and chainrings, it'll save 10x it's cost! Check the chain once a week, and as soon as it hits .75 order a new one - preferably one that fastens with one of those "missing link" things rather than needing riveting like the shimano ones!