A Very Vegan Thanksgiving

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
So it's only October, but what are you guys going to make for Thanksgiving?

Replies

• britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's Canadian Thanksgiving today :)

I made maple glazed root vegetables: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/MapleVeggies.htm

a cranberry/walnut mixed green salad

baked tofu with maple bbq sauce (can you tell its a Cdn dinner haha)

ginger molassess cookies for dessert
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Um...YUM!! That menu sounds amazing!!
  • sweetiebrittie
    sweetiebrittie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Last year, I made a vegan pumpkin pie with a pecan coconut crust, it was to die for. My mom asked for it again this year.

I have no clue what's on the menu this year.

I know what's not on the menu. haha
  • happyvegan410
    happyvegan410 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As our entree we always have is a dish we called tofurkey long before "Tofurkey" came along. It is thinly sliced, marinated tofu(heavy on the olive oil-so not low-fat!) covering vegan stuffing. The tofu gets very crispy and oh so yummers! I also make a fake turkey gluten roast. Then we have homemade dinner rolls with a lot of typical sides: mashed taters, peas, corn, gravy, cranberry sauce. For desert we typically have pumpkin pie, tofu banana creme pie, tofu chock cerements pie and pumpkin cheesecakes.
  • VeganHippieChick
    VeganHippieChick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tofurkey, Nut loaf, Mashed Potaotes, corn bread stuffing, gravy, rolls, green bean casserole (veganized), candied yams, cranberries, varies olives and pickles. Followed by vegan pumpkin pie and/or vegan cake.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    home made biscuits, of course tofurkey with stuffing, baked potatoes, some sort of veggies, and vegan pumpkin pie. or maybe a vegan pecan pie. so much to choose from. last year we had spaghetti ha ha. desserts are always the problem. so many to choose from. maybe even pumpkin pie cheesecake.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I wish I could still have gluten--I like Tofurkey and the convenience of it. I want to put more effort into Thanksgiving this year. We always go to a family member's for Thanksgiving, but I bring my own meal. (Not a fan of Thanksgiving, because of the display of the turkey on the table, so I may as well make it nicer for myself. A couple of years ago, someone wanted to show me the turkey after telling me that the child had raised it herself especially for slaughter for this meal. I declined to go see it.) No one wants us to host, unfortunately. :( We don't have enough space and people like their Thanksgivings to include as much family as possible.

Any other gluten free vegans? What do you replace the turkey with? I like the idea of that tofu--but I am terrible at preparing tofu.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. My favorite holiday. We always have the staples: mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy. This year I believe I'll be making my second homemade pumpkin pie (from scratch), my first nut loaf, perhaps making a mix of red/sweet mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce and homemade "green bean gruel". We also usually have one pie, and some vegan cheese & crackers. I have also heard some great things about Field Roast "Sausages", so I may try those this year as well.
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for weeks!!!

I am buying the Celebration Roast because it is better than my tofu loaf ever turns out, but I'm making the rest. Homemade dressing with gravy, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and pumpkin cheesecake.

I downloaded the VegNews Holiday Cookbook and it has some really great recipes as well. So, I might have to add to the repertoire!
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I really don't feel like cooking much this year, so I think that I am gonna go with the Tofurkey. However, if you do feel like cooking, I HIGHLY suggest this recipe for a meatless loaf: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-meatless-loaf.html
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I luv pumpkin pie. Please. Share this recipe? My last vegan pumpkin pie attempt failed tragically.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    I make stuff that travels well since we have a 2 hour drive to the in-laws. The Celebration Loaf is amazing and Hubby can eat it (he can't digest tofu). I like simple smashed sweet potatoes, veganized green bean casserole, cornbread, and of course pumpkin pie.
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    I'm getting my Thanksgiving menu primarily from a friend of mine of FB who has been Vegan for the better part of 3 years (more or less). Her menu looks amazing. If you're on FaceBook and want to join her group for some awesome Vegan recipes, check it out here:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/314259178656/10151149084168657/?notif_t=group_activity
    But I have to warn you, there are members there that are not Vegan, so you might come across non-Vegan/Vegetarian recipes. But anything posted by my friend Lisa King would be Vegan.

I'm going to do her cranberry sauce, asparagus casserole, cornbread stuffing and couple all of that with a meatless Thanksgiving loaf that SJHarr posted earlier (the loaf looks great!!) My husband is going to try his hand at 'Veganizing' his world famous sweet potato pie and smashed taters.

I'm super stoked! This will be our first Vegan Thanksgiving! Will post updates once it's all said and done! (By the way, since he has to actually work on Thanksgiving; we'll be doing our Thanksgiving on Weds instead of Thurs).

As a side note, I've been meat free for nearly a week and I'm already down 2 lbs when the scale hadn't budged in nearly a month! :glasses: Nice! :glasses:

27783872.png
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wish I could still have gluten--I like Tofurkey and the convenience of it. I want to put more effort into Thanksgiving this year. We always go to a family member's for Thanksgiving, but I bring my own meal. (Not a fan of Thanksgiving, because of the display of the turkey on the table, so I may as well make it nicer for myself. A couple of years ago, someone wanted to show me the turkey after telling me that the child had raised it herself especially for slaughter for this meal. I declined to go see it.) No one wants us to host, unfortunately. :( We don't have enough space and people like their Thanksgivings to include as much family as possible.

Any other gluten free vegans? What do you replace the turkey with? I like the idea of that tofu--but I am terrible at preparing tofu.

I am not gluten free but I have family that are so I made my own version of tofu turkey last year for christmas and it was really good. Working from memory of the recipe I got about a kilo of tofu and crumbled it up and added braggs and seasonings then put it into a collander pressing it firmly into the sides so any moisture can escape. I thn made a stuffing using rice crumbs and dried mushrooms (you can use your favourite stuffing recipe here) then add the remainder of the crumbled tofu on top. Leave in fridge overnight with a plate weighted down by a couple of cans. Next day it should all be firm and hold together turn out spray with olive oil and some more braggs and bake in oven till golden brown spray it a couple ofd times while baking.

this turned out really well and I think I obtained the recipe online so have a look for some stuffed Tofu recipies even if you dont think you are very good at preparing tofu this was really easy and turned out much better that I thought it might

Have fun
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm.. we had our Thanksgiving today. Ended up making a Lentil/Walnut/Apple/Oat Loaf with an Apple Butter/Ketchup/Balsamic Vinegar Glaze, Stuffing, Mashed Red/Sweet Potatoes w/ Cashew Mushroom Gravy & Green Bean Casserole. Everything came out splendid & I ignored any attempt to refrain from stuffing myself wild... all bets were off today & it was well worth any guilt & bloating I'm feeling now. <3

Two "anything goes" days per year sounds reasonable to me. :p